BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2020, 05:09 AM   #1
littlehuman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5

Confused with functionality of driving assistance package

Hi,

I'm trying to see if I should add driving assistance professional package or not. The reason I want to add this package is for the long drive, but I see many videos of "traffic jam" examples on youtube without going high speed.

Is the package capable of driving at high speed (say 90 miles/hr) and slow down itself when needed?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 05:17 AM   #2
littlehuman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5

answering myself: Yes, it is capable of driving at high speed.

Not sure how to delete this post...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #3
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

you can click on edit and delete any posts you made.

but if anyone else reads this: the driving assistant professional package is a must have. I cant say enough good things about it. it works phenomenally well on highway speeds. it changes lanes automatically above 40 miles per hour. if you are stuck in a traffic slow down under 40mph and certain other conditions are met, it'll engage the traffic jam assistant program which lets you fully take your hands off the wheel (no judging it periodically to let the system know you're still actively engaged).

that package shouldn't be optional, they should just include it as standard.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15456.00
      11-27-2020, 08:23 AM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
you can click on edit and delete any posts you made.

but if anyone else reads this: the driving assistant professional package is a must have. I cant say enough good things about it. it works phenomenally well on highway speeds. it changes lanes automatically above 40 miles per hour. if you are stuck in a traffic slow down under 40mph and certain other conditions are met, it'll engage the traffic jam assistant program which lets you fully take your hands off the wheel (no judging it periodically to let the system know you're still actively engaged).

that package shouldn't be optional, they should just include it as standard.
Putting in a plug for TJA (which I had not used extensively before, and considered it sort of as an afterthought), on a recent trip the car essentially drove itself for two hours in a 0-20mph Interstate standstill while I did nothing but observe. I can't emphasize how much it lowers your stress level, just listening to relaxing music, and not having to constantly adjust for the car in front of me, behind me and on either side of me, driving at kiddy-car speeds, for hours. I'm convinced.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #5
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Putting in a plug for TJA (which I had not used extensively before, and considered it sort of as an afterthought), on a recent trip the car essentially drove itself for two hours in a 0-20mph Interstate standstill while I did nothing but observe. I can't emphasize how much it lowers your stress level, just listening to relaxing music, and not having to constantly adjust for the car in front of me, behind me and on either side of me, driving at kiddy-car speeds, for hours. I'm convinced.
We got our g05 on valentines day and I got to drive it regularly for about 3 weeks before the world shut down. In that time, I drove home a few times during rush hour and had the exact same experience as you did. When there's no where to go, its extremely monotonous to have to just pay attention, make minor driving corrections and maintain a slow crawl yourself. TJA did a fabulous job the few times I got to use it... enough so that I was bored just sitting there in the drivers seat and I felt like a passenger lol
Appreciate 1
Paladin15456.00