BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

M-Sport Brake Pad - Clicking Noise

First...Thank you for all of the priceless information provided here. I purchased a 2021 X6 with the M Brakes. While waiting for the vehicle to be built I spent countless hours here and learned that the brake dust is excessive and many have changed to Powerstop Brake Pads. I ordered and installed the Powerstop Pads immediately after taking delivery. As everyone else has experienced, I too am getting the clicking noise as the car changes directions. As I think back on the install I recall the Brembo Brakes having 2 sided tape on the back holding the pads to the pistons. Has anyone tried any type of 2 sided tape to stop the clicking noise? Did it stop the clicking? Any other advice or comments would be appreciated. Also I thought I read that the clicking eventually goes away....is that true? Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
SPD NXS
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 50i M Blue/Cognac

Ceramic Aftermarket Brake Pad Clacking Solved

I did the 4 wheel Powerstop ceramic brake pad installation about 9 months ago and after a while they started "Clacking" at low speeds, light applications; and when they were cold.

As I got more miles on it, it got worse. Still, absolutely loved having no brake dust on my wheels and would do it again.

If any of you did the original brake job to install the Powerstop ceramic pads, you will remember that the factory front brake pads did not come off very easily. I had to pry mine off.

That's because it had a very sticky high temp adhesive on the back of the factory pad that "glued" the pad to the pistons.

You can also see reference to it in the factory brake job procedure.

I first tried Disc Brake Quiet when I did my front brakes, but eventually it started clacking all the time under light braking, or when they were cold.

I remembered some nasty sticky stuff from back in the day that I used on all gasket installs to hold the gasket. It's called Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealer #80062.

If you have ever used it, or if you have ever tried to clean it up after it's been used, you know what I'm talking about.

It is an extremely viscous adhesive that is rated to 500 degrees and stays pliable like a contact cement. It's an adhesive, not a gasket sealer like silicone.

So, I pulled out my front pads on the passenger side, cleaned all the Disc Brake Quiet residue off the back of the pads and the pistons/boots with brake cleaner and a stiff bristle brush. I used a large screwdriver with a rag wrapped around the tip to clean the surface of the pistons also.

I brushed a light coating of the High Tack Gasket Sealer directly on the pad where you could see the piston mark on the backing, and put it all back together.

I ENGAGED MY PARK BRAKE SWITCH BEFORE I TOUCHED ANYTHING ELSE.

And then I started the car, turned off the park brake, and then did driver's side.

I ENGAGED THE PARKING BRAKE AGAIN BEFORE I TOUCHED ANYTHING ELSE.

I could tell almost instantly that it worked.

Besides no noise at all, the brakes felt more stable. I guess with the wear of the pads/rotors and the pad moving around, they didn't bite as firmly.

It's quiet and solid now.

The funny thing is that I did this to prevent an big problem with my wife.

She's doesn't know it but she's getting a brand new 2021 BMW 540i M-Sport for Christmas, and I HAD to get the red M-Brakes on it. It's on the boat.

I knew the amount of dust on the wheel would kill me slowly from the inside every day I saw it, and I also knew that my wife would not put up with the brakes clacking constantly. Women?

So, this was an experiment to fix my X5M brakes; and make sure I could put ceramic brakes on her car the second it gets here, and not dig myself a hole!

Happy Thankgiving!

I would recommend the Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealer for this swap, or any pad swap where you are not using a factory pad with the adhesive already on the pad. BTW, it cleans up easily with brake cleaner if you ever get to the point you need to do another brake job.

You don't need it on the back because the rear caliper is a ratchet type and always applies a little pressure to the pad to hold it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Thank you for the tip with the gasket sealant.
Did you apply it to the inner pad only or to both inner and outer pads?

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:10 PM   #4
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I was unhappy with the amount of brake dust from my M Sport brakes. Rather than change the pads, I ceramic coated my wheels and it made a huge difference in the amount of dust that collected on the wheels. Yes, there is still more dust than the standard brakes but it is far less noticeable and easier to clean off with the coating. Just another option.
Appreciate 0