BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2020, 05:05 AM   #1
littlehuman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5

Confused with functionality of driving assistance package

Hi,

I'm trying to see if I should add driving assistance professional package or not. The reason I want to add this package is for the long drive, but I see videos of "traffic jam" only.

Is the package capable of driving at high speed (say 90 miles/hr) and slow down itself when needed?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Yes, it will slow down if the traffic in front of you slows down. When the traffic in front speeds up or you change to an empty lane the car will speed back up to your set speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #3
Sonny185
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
2024 X5 40i  [0.00]
You won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 40i (M Sport)

It works perfectly well at higher speeds. It will lane keep and keep set speed or distance from car in front and you only need to keep a light hand pressure on any surface of the steering wheel. In traffic jams on recognized highways, it does the same, but the difference is you no longer have to touch the steering wheel (sensors ensure you keep your eyes on the roads, though).

I have a MY21 and how well the driving assistant pro works is one of the more surprising features for me. It is very smooth. I’ve come to put it on whenever I’m just following traffic without much open road. It works fantastically, I find. In more monotonous situations, it will “self drive” (ie. without need for intervention) almost all the time. Well worth the cost, IMO. Probably so (relatively) inexpensive because all the sensors are on the car anyway.
Appreciate 1
ifr1196.50
      11-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 40i (M Sport)

Like a week or so after getting my car, I found myself in an hour long traffic jam on the highway crossing town. I had my feet and hands off the controls while the car did all the driving, I just looked on and was getting a massage from the seat and listening to some of my favorite concertos on the superb B&W system. Think I even had a drink being kept cool in the cupholder at the time, lol. That experience really ‘drove it home’ for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Yes, it's capable of both. The Assisted Driving mode controls steering, speed, and following distance on highways and practically any other well-marked roadway. Extended Traffic Jam Assist (ETJA) becomes available when the vehicle detects its in a traffic jam and other conditions (e.g., speed, weather, road type) are met on a limited-access highway. The main difference of ETJA is that it allows hands-free driving and monitors the driver's attention via a camera installed at the top of the instrument cluster; Assisted Driving mode requires the driver's hands be on the wheel, or only removed occasionally for a few seconds at a time.

Both systems are included in the DAP package, but you'll likely get much more use out of the Assisted Driving mode than ETJA during normal day-to-day driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

BMW have improved upon the early iterations, so don’t base your opinion on early reviews. It used to suck (at least my 2019 did), but it’s now quite competent and useful. Traffic Jam mode is a godsend.

It works best on well marked highways. Turn it off wherever there is construction going on or where there are screwy markings.

I drove a couple thousand miles down i10 recently and barely did anything. I cheat and keep a knee touching the wheel to defeat the bitchin Betty feature. After 15 hour driving days, it’s quite obvious how much it reduces driver fatigue.

Just order it and be done. Also, splurge for the V8. Big regret of mine going from V8 F15 to I6 of the G05.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
sailj22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Like autopilot for a boat. Once you have it you will never be without it. I traded in my Benz GLE with drive assist and I can tell you hands down BMW is so more advanced it is ridiculous. I just got my BMW a few weeks ago and I am always using driver's assist and it goes automatically into Assist Pro when under 40 MPH. I like it.
Appreciate 2
volodp193.50
      11-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
jc.bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

The Driver Assist feature was one of the deciding factors for me to get the X5 instead of the competition. The system works really well as compared with the competition and most importantly the attention camera lets me hold the steering wheel in my normal driving hand position with a light touch.

Most (if not all) driving assistant systems outside of BMW require two hands on the wheel, and a "3 & 9" hand position like you're driving on a track...

I think this package is a must have on any new X5. I don't see the point of buying an X5 without it. If I could retrofit exactly this feature on my older car I'd have kept it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #10
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailj22 View Post
I traded in my Benz GLE with drive assist and I can tell you hands down BMW is so more advanced it is ridiculous.
I've always wanted to know the differences between how the two companies have implemented these features. can you elaborate on what's different/better?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #11
littlehuman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5

Thank you, everyone. It sounds like it's what I expected exactly
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #12
sebseb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

I wanted to test drive a 45e but dealer didn't have any so they said X3 30e is one way to get a feel of the electric drive system. The X3 had the driving assist package but don't think they offer traffic jam assist on X3 cause it didn't have the camera in the instrument cluster.

I was severely disappointed with the system. It could not stay in a one lane road, specially since there were no lines on the side of the curb. And when it did detect, it would disengage quickly because it thought my hands were not on the wheel but they were. I was constantly applying pressure to the wheel but it acted as if I had them off.

Anyone know if the X5's ADP system is better? I haven't had a chance to test drive one.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #13
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebseb View Post
I wanted to test drive a 45e but dealer didn't have any so they said X3 30e is one way to get a feel of the electric drive system. The X3 had the driving assist package but don't think they offer traffic jam assist on X3 cause it didn't have the camera in the instrument cluster.

I was severely disappointed with the system. It could not stay in a one lane road, specially since there were no lines on the side of the curb. And when it did detect, it would disengage quickly because it thought my hands were not on the wheel but they were. I was constantly applying pressure to the wheel but it acted as if I had them off.

Anyone know if the X5's ADP system is better? I haven't had a chance to test drive one.
I can't speak to what type of road you were on or the system you were using but the one in the X5 is nothing like you describe. I use it as close to 100% of the time I am driving on all different types of roads, rural, urban, highway, etc. and it performs very well. Lightly touching with your hand, finger, etc. is all that is required, no pressure needed.
      11-27-2020, 11:17 PM   #14
sebseb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I can't speak to what type of road you were on or the system you were using but the one in the X5 is nothing like you describe. I use it as close to 100% of the time I am driving on all different types of roads, rural, urban, highway, etc. and it performs very well. Lightly touching with your hand, finger, etc. is all that is required, no pressure needed.
That's interesting and I expected it to be that way from what I've heard here. This was a suburban multilane road and I was driving in the right lane. Most of the time it had a hard time detecting the road lanes I guess. Once it would go green, it would blink in yellow at me even though I had my hands on the 3 and 9 position applying a lot of pressure. When it was green I could sense the wheel rotating so it was working. The sales person just said the system only works on highways and not suburban roads.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:19 AM   #15
jc.bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
That's interesting and I expected it to be that way from what I've heard here. This was a suburban multilane road and I was driving in the right lane. Most of the time it had a hard time detecting the road lanes I guess. Once it would go green, it would blink in yellow at me even though I had my hands on the 3 and 9 position applying a lot of pressure. When it was green I could sense the wheel rotating so it was working. The sales person just said the system only works on highways and not suburban roads.

The X5 driver assist is on the top of the stack for the current level of this technology, including when comparing to Tesla. I’m a software engineer and I test drove each contender multiple times. I purposely put all cars through a few tricky situations I wanted to validate. They all failed. My self driving car dreams were smashed. But BMW had the most comfortable experience within the boundaries of the technology.

We’re not even close to proper self driving vehicles. Tesla would “go yellow” as well when lanes were not properly marked (as of July 2020 with clear weather). Even worse, it would accelerate when approaching cars stopped at a stoplight when the road makes a curve before it (like all current generation systems).
Appreciate 1
sebseb72.00
      11-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #16
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:

Neither will any other system. All of them work on a radar/laser/camera system to detect traffic signs, road markings and obstacles, and are dependent on lighting, weather, and a multitude of other variables that humans (usually) compute in their heads and use to make instant decisions to alter the speed, direction and control of the car. There is no system currently remotely equal to the human eye and brain, collectively, to factor in those mentioned variables. And yet - the automated systems are able, in the right circumstances, to make "decisions" and control the car orders of magnitude faster than poor organic creatures. The issue being, usually, for the users of those systems to understand the limitations and capabilities of the system they are using.
Appreciate 3
ifr1196.50
sebseb72.00
volodp193.50
      11-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #17
rusty5
Rep
Drives: x5 40i

I like the bmw system. I also occasionally drive a '19 mercedes gle and the bmw system is a lot better although bmw will nag you to touch the wheel every 5ish seconds while the merc can go for a lot longer. (but during curves at higher speeds the merc doesn't stay in the lane so gotta keep hands on the wheel for sure then.)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #18
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
The X3 had the driving assist package but don't think they offer traffic jam assist on X3 cause it didn't have the camera in the instrument cluster.
Yes, X5 is miles better (I have both).
X3 is one generation behind, and it shows.
They probably would update the X3 to be on par in the LCI next year.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #19
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I've always wanted to know the differences between how the two companies have implemented these features. can you elaborate on what's different/better?
I can't tell you the difference or which is better BUT it works brilliantly on the V167 GLE.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 12:36 AM   #20
sebseb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
The issue being, usually, for the users of those systems to understand the limitations and capabilities of the system they are using.
Oh I understand the system isn't close to how a human is capable of processing. I just wanted to see if I was doing something wrong or I'm just not understanding what the system is capable of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Yes, X5 is miles better (I have both).
X3 is one generation behind, and it shows.
They probably would update the X3 to be on par in the LCI next year.
It's interesting cause they charge the same price ($1700) for ADP on X3 and X5 but X3 won't have the instrument camera. Thank you for the clarification.

In the manual it says you have to hold the turn signal stock continuously for the automatic lane changing feature. I thought I heard some people say you just have to press it once. Was that changed in a software update or you still have to hold it until lane change completed. I don't think it's something I'll use but was curious.

Thank you all for the info! planning to buy a 45e either soon or wait for the LCI.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 06:05 AM   #21
phillydilles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G05

Quote:
In the manual it says you have to hold the turn signal stock continuously for the automatic lane changing feature.
That's odd - it's just a tap for me and assuming it calculates that there is enough room to make the shift, the below green arrow appears on the dash and the vehicle does the change-over on its own, no holding down needed.

Name:  c458a1a4daf53c05d2563506139bd92fb88a65be.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  39.1 KB

Even with a G05 from January 2019 that had early hardware, I second most of the above sentiment and would absolutely order DAP again.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 06:53 AM   #22
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
In the manual it says you have to hold the turn signal stock continuously for the automatic lane changing feature. I thought I heard some people say you just have to press it once. Was that changed in a software update or you still have to hold it until lane change completed. I don't think it's something I'll use but was curious.

Thank you all for the info! planning to buy a 45e either soon or wait for the LCI.
You definitely do not hold the turn signal down to make an automatic lane change. You just push down/up until the detent and let go. You must have been looking at something else in the manual.

At first I thought I would never use it and now use it for just about every lane change I can.
Attached Images

sebseb72.00