08-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #23
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Had HUD on my last 4 cars with the rotation feature, and no, it won't help visibility with polarized lenses. It might help by causing you to rotate your head, but the primary purpose of the rotation is to correct the - perceived - horizontal aspect of the display for those of us with OCD. Only a very minor correction might be needed, but at least it enables you to correct whatever tilt might be present on the display to where you think it should be.
Agree.

That guy in the video was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #24
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

I had a 2017 X6M, now I have 2021 X6M and I also still have my 2012 X5 - all have HUDs, and I'd say 2017 and 2021 are about the same with polarized glasses, while the 2012 is worse. Just set brightness to the maximum, and tilt your head a bit when glancing at the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #25
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

I've had HUD in many other cars and found it to be rather pointless and a bit of a distraction. Its kinda cool at first if you've never had it before but in reality it is little more than a gimmick. Glance at your gages once in a while, all that info does not need to be projected in your face. We are not driving Formula 1 cars here. Put that item on the pile with the "soft close" doors.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 08:14 AM   #26
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
I've had HUD in many other cars and found it to be rather pointless and a bit of a distraction. Its kinda cool at first if you've never had it before but in reality it is little more than a gimmick. Glance at your gages once in a while, all that info does not need to be projected in your face. We are not driving Formula 1 cars here. Put that item on the pile with the "soft close" doors.
I disagree. I first had HUD display in my F15 and it was a must have option on my G05. It actually serves a purpose for navigation, media selection, phone calls, and other data in addition to your speed to avoid having to keep taking your eyes off the road for every minute task. I would consider it more a safety feature than a convenience feature.
Appreciate 5
Unit218.50
volodp193.50
X5 45e1077.00
biterror511.00
smomin23311.00
      11-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #27
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Disagree. I've had HUD in my 2015 M4, 2018 M4 CP and now 2020 X5. It keeps getting better by generation to the point I hardly look down or at the idrive. For both convenience and safety that's superb.
Appreciate 2
pho116.00
smomin23311.00
      11-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #28
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

Quote:
When I turn mine off - takes me awhile to actually find that data elsewhere. I'm totally used to it and wouldn't want to have to drive a car without it.
Appreciate 3
X5 45e1077.00
pho116.00
smomin23311.00
      11-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #29
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodp View Post
Quote:
When I turn mine off - takes me awhile to actually find that data elsewhere. I'm totally used to it and wouldn't want to have to drive a car without it.
+1

I wouldn't buy a car without anymore. I use it for navigation, phone call, speed limit, current speed, radio/playlist.

And I bought non polarised sun glasses. Five years ago when I first drove with sunglasses in the summer I thought my HUD was broken.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #30
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

20yrs ago, all dials are analog. 20 yrs later, we are all fighter pilots....
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 10:23 AM   #31
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Get your windshield tinted .... works for me, with polarized sunglasses. I always go with Formula One Pinnacle 50%
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #32
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
+1

I wouldn't buy a car without anymore. I use it for navigation, phone call, speed limit, current speed, radio/playlist.

And I bought non polarised sun glasses. Five years ago when I first drove with sunglasses in the summer I thought my HUD was broken.
Same here...I got it in my 2015 F15, only because it was part of a package (I don't think I would have added it if it wasn't) and it has become a "must have" (yes, first world problem). I wouldn't buy another without it and if I was looking at something new and it was unavailable in that make/model, it would be a MAJOR factor for me.

I bought a pair of Oakley, non-polarized sunglasses 5+ years ago and have loved them ever since.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      11-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #33
pho
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Must disagree. I use the driving assistant and cruise control extensively, and the HUD displays all the info I need (what speed is cc set to, what speedlimit are the cameras picking up and are thus settable with the SET button, current speed, activity of DAP...)
I basically never have to gaze down to the instrument cluster so my eyes are kept on the road.
Will not spec a car without HUD again, it's not just a novelty/luxury feature
Appreciate 8
      11-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #34
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

Quote:
Exactly. My preferred brand is Serengeti and I've just bought a non-polarized model of their drivers line. They last forever and it's not a big deal to just buy another pair which is HUD compatible.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #35
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

I am a eye-glass wearer, and mine came with a magnetic clip-on sunglass - which is polarized as almost all of them are. I have it switched to non-polarized lenses for the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 03:42 AM   #36
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I am a eye-glass wearer, and mine came with a magnetic clip-on sunglass - which is polarized as almost all of them are. I have it switched to non-polarized lenses for the HUD.
I wear glasses too I got specific prescription sunglasses with the same correction as my normal glasses without Polaroid. I always keep them in my car.

I can't say they are less comfortable to drive than sunglasses with Polaroid. Off course the corrected ones are better for me for driving anyway because they have a correction.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 02:10 AM   #37
xigolle
Private First Class
Rep

I love the HUD gives you all the information in a glance and keeps you focussed on the driving.
For some reason I find the Navigation instruction a lot better in the HUD than on the instrumentation cluster.
In the HUD it shows exactly which turn/action you need to do.
Maybe I missed some option to enable it on the other places ?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 03:17 AM   #38
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xigolle View Post
I love the HUD gives you all the information in a glance and keeps you focussed on the driving.
For some reason I find the Navigation instruction a lot better in the HUD than on the instrumentation cluster.
In the HUD it shows exactly which turn/action you need to do.
Maybe I missed some option to enable it on the other places ?
You can use splitscreen on the centre console to show the same instructions (or other things).

I prefer to have the big screen and use the instruction in the HUD like you do.

I don't use the instructions in the instrument cluster either but you can put it there too. I have the car in lane showing thing there.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 03:25 AM   #39
xigolle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You can use splitscreen on the centre console to show the same instructions (or other things).

I don't use the instructions in the instrument cluster either but you can put it there too. I have the car in lane showing thing there.
Alright didn't know this.
I did test some things out with splitscreen but it always seemed less detailed.
I tought it only showed some simpel arrows.

You might fancy sharing which options I should enable to get the same in my IDrive ?
Handy for the co-passenger to help navigate
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 03:40 AM   #40
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xigolle View Post
Quote:

Alright didn't know this.
I did test some things out with splitscreen but it always seemed less detailed.
I tought it only showed some simpel arrows.

You might fancy sharing which options I should enable to get the same in my IDrive ?
Handy for the co-passenger to help navigate
That is how I use it indeed if we go on a family trip. So I (or she) can see the instructions too. She has to correct me more than the other way around 🤓.

I select split screen and instructions (I think, it has been a while, I would have to check again). The instructions change while driving. On the highway you see the arrows you mention but they change into lane info once you get close to the exit.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 04:44 AM   #41
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Such a bad take.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #42
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
Must disagree. I use the driving assistant and cruise control extensively, and the HUD displays all the info I need (what speed is cc set to, what speedlimit are the cameras picking up and are thus settable with the SET button, current speed, activity of DAP...)
I basically never have to gaze down to the instrument cluster so my eyes are kept on the road.
Will not spec a car without HUD again, it's not just a novelty/luxury feature
^^^^This. Absolutely. "Glancing down" at the gauges, or your phone, or even over at your map, has caused more rear-enders than likely any other activities combined. Yes, I know "I" can safely do it. Other dweebs, than my supremely capable self, not so much.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #43
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
That is how I use it indeed if we go on a family trip. So I (or she) can see the instructions too. She has to correct me more than the other way around 🤓.

I select split screen and instructions (I think, it has been a while, I would have to check again). The instructions change while driving. On the highway you see the arrows you mention but they change into lane info once you get close to the exit.
Are the instructions the same? On my X3, the HUD directions were different than what showed up on the main screen. I HAD to use the HUD because the instructions it threw up were accurate whereas the main screen was not. Drove us nuts and is partly why we decided to change cars. Why can't car manufacturers just suck it up and use Google Maps?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 02:13 PM   #44
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
20yrs ago, all dials are analog. 20 yrs later, we are all fighter pilots....
20 years ago, internet speed was 300kbps on average and cell phone were only used for talking. Would you abandon the > 100Mbps internet speed and smart phones we enjoy so much now, to use the technology from 20 years ago?

Technology keeps improving and usually for the better or safer.