BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-03-2024, 07:28 PM   #1
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

M50i/Racechip. Anyone had any issues? Feedback?

I’m picking up an m50 on Friday, coming out of a 19 40i. I’ve been running the racechip gts black for sometime and have been happy with the results. Ive heard the n63 might not respond as well as the b58 did to piggy back tunes like racechip. Anyone had any issues? I don’t wanna get caught by bmw service police and void my warranty but I know me and I’ll always want more hp if I can get it. So I’m torn.

Anyone have any performance feedback on stock vs Racechip in the m50?

They’ve got a 25% off sale going on now so I’m thinking about it.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 07:44 AM   #2
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Personally, I wouldn't even consider a piggyback. They're just too compromised and ineffective. Tricking the ECU isn't how I think tuning should be done. I understand why people do it, but I don't like it, and I'd rather have a legitimately tuned ecu.
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2024, 07:51 AM   #3
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Personally, I wouldn't even consider a piggyback. They're just too compromised and ineffective. Tricking the ECU isn't how I think tuning should be done. I understand why people do it, but I don't like it, and I'd rather have a legitimately tuned ecu.
I’ve had good experience with my 40i, is there some issue with the m50 that I should be aware of? Or are you saying a stage one is going to deliver more hp than a piggyback? I’d prefer a formal tune but have a warranty to worry about. Thanks for the reply and the input, I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 07:57 AM   #4
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post
I’ve had good experience with my 40i, is there some issue with the m50 that I should be aware of? Or are you saying a stage one is going to deliver more hp than a piggyback? I’d prefer a formal tune but have a warranty to worry about. Thanks for the reply and the input, I appreciate it.
A piggyback will never make as much power or be as reliable as a real tune because it's just tricking the ECU sensor inputs. A piggyback also isn't going to preserve your warranty any, if there's a warranty issue they'll look in data logs and see the absolutely bananas sensor readings from the piggyback and realize what you've done, and void your warranty anyways. Let alone any evidence of install.

If you want a tune, IMO, get a real tune, you're less likely to have problems because the ECU is actually operating as intended without fake signals, it's just operating in a better way.
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2024, 08:04 AM   #5
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A piggyback will never make as much power or be as reliable as a real tune because it's just tricking the ECU sensor inputs. A piggyback also isn't going to preserve your warranty any, if there's a warranty issue they'll look in data logs and see the absolutely bananas sensor readings from the piggyback and realize what you've done, and void your warranty anyways. Let alone any evidence of install.

If you want a tune, IMO, get a real tune, you're less likely to have problems because the ECU is actually operating as intended without fake signals, it's just operating in a better way.
Got it, I appreciate the info. Seems to make sense to just go ahead and get a proper stage one.
I would love to hear from someone running racechip now if such a person exists just to hear your experience on long term reliability and performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:37 AM   #6
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:

Yea but ÉCU tune are much less feasible after they lock down the ECU sometime 2020 I think
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:48 AM   #7
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
Yea but ÉCU tune are much less feasible after they lock down the ECU sometime 2020 I think
Yeah and to be honest, I don't know that there's gonna be the demand to crack it like you would get in other platforms with similar encryption and such in the ECUs. F250 had the same thing but they sell more F150s in a month than most vehicles will do in a year, so the market is huge (exaggeration on the sales, but the point stands).

I still wouldn't do a piggyback. I just don't trust them.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:50 AM   #8
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
The only place to get it unlocked is send to femto for one Ecu your looking at 600 double that in a v8 because they have two Ecu . Plus shipping to Europe
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 05:21 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
The only place to get it unlocked is send to femto for one Ecu your looking at 600 double that in a v8 because they have two Ecu . Plus shipping to Europe
DME Tuning can unlock them, they do send them to Europe though so perhaps use the same place. https://dmetuning.com/products/ecu-unlock
      04-05-2024, 12:30 AM   #10
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
DME Tuning can unlock them, they do send them to Europe though so perhaps use the same place. https://dmetuning.com/products/ecu-unlock
It goes to same place. There are a couple service in the US that either hand deliver or do the batch mailing with import/export for you.

Saw a few folks do it for B58 at a cost of ~$1.5-2k depending on which route you choose. With 2 ECU it would be probably more expensive
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 09:17 PM   #11
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaaaaaaz View Post
It goes to same place. There are a couple service in the US that either hand deliver or do the batch mailing with import/export for you.

Saw a few folks do it for B58 at a cost of ~$1.5-2k depending on which route you choose. With 2 ECU it would be probably more expensive
About 800 if you do it yourself
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 12:24 AM   #12
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
About 800 if you do it yourself
Femto itself charge $800 for a single ÉCU. S68 has 2 ECU so charge will be higher

Plus shipping to and back from Finland, insurance, etc
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 12:45 AM   #13
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaaaaaaz View Post
Femto itself charge $800 for a single ÉCU. S68 has 2 ECU so charge will be higher

Plus shipping to and back from Finland, insurance, etc
Yes
Appreciate 0