BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-18-2024, 04:43 PM   #45
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Wanted to chime in on this - I was always in the boat regarding not buying warranties but I'll say this about my 2020 X5 M50i that is changing my mind.
- AC Condenser went bad at around 38k miles - covered under warranty, thankfully, but would have been a $5k fix my service guy stated.
- Transfer case issue at 52k miles - fixed with new fluid, cost $700. However, is this a band-aid fix. New transfer case quoted at $8k
- Front differential is blown - 53k miles - quoted another $8k to fix. BMW will good will the fix, so my out of pocket is only $1,300.
- Front control arm bushing are leaking - slow leak - repair not needed at the moment, but eventually will. Replacements quoted at $2,300
- Oil pan - slow leak - not quoted, but I'm going to guess > $1k

All this to say, that nothing on this vehicle is cheap to fix. Even the $10k into money market strategy wouldn't have worked out b/c all these are happening when the car is 5 yrs old. Seems if there's something wrong with your X5, be prepared to pay in excess of $2k every time.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1332.00
      04-22-2024, 01:19 AM   #46
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Wanted to chime in on this - I was always in the boat regarding not buying warranties but I'll say this about my 2020 X5 M50i that is changing my mind.
- AC Condenser went bad at around 38k miles - covered under warranty, thankfully, but would have been a $5k fix my service guy stated.
- Transfer case issue at 52k miles - fixed with new fluid, cost $700. However, is this a band-aid fix. New transfer case quoted at $8k
- Front differential is blown - 53k miles - quoted another $8k to fix. BMW will good will the fix, so my out of pocket is only $1,300.
- Front control arm bushing are leaking - slow leak - repair not needed at the moment, but eventually will. Replacements quoted at $2,300

All this to say, that nothing on this vehicle is cheap to fix. Even the $10k into money market strategy wouldn't have worked out b/c all these are happening when the car is 5 yrs old. Seems if there's something wrong with your X5, be prepared to pay in excess of $2k every time.
Or maybe you just got unlucky and/or got a lemon? My car is just about 5 years old now and touch wood no issues thus far. Hoping it stays that way….although I do have extended warranty. Usually keep all my cars for about 8-10 years.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 07:03 AM   #47
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Or maybe you just got unlucky and/or got a lemon? My car is just about 5 years old now and touch wood no issues thus far. Hoping it stays that way….although I do have extended warranty. Usually keep all my cars for about 8-10 years.
This could also be true which is why I chimed in. Sometimes you have an unlucky car. The problem with this model is unlucky is not a $1k fix. It's $5k+ fix. I've owned cars for 30 years and normally keep them to Around 100k miles. I have never had a fix greater than $3.5k.

All thats being said, I love the car and want to keep it to around 100k miles but I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies so I'm looking into warranties.

Do you drive the V8?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 12:53 AM   #48
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
This could also be true which is why I chimed in. Sometimes you have an unlucky car. The problem with this model is unlucky is not a $1k fix. It's $5k+ fix. I've owned cars for 30 years and normally keep them to Around 100k miles. I have never had a fix greater than $3.5k.

All thats being said, I love the car and want to keep it to around 100k miles but I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies so I'm looking into warranties.

Do you drive the V8?
Nah I drive the 2019 40i. In hindsight I should’ve gone for the m50i v8 but oh well. Mine is more of a kids car so mostly playing around with cosmetic mods And nothing engine related so don’t regret not getting the v8
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2024, 11:13 AM   #49
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, 718 Cayman, 65 Etype

Quote:

I have owned nearly 100 cars over the years. Other than vintage cars, I cannot remember spending $2000 on repairs for any of them. (Thirteen of those cars were Jaguars.) I also do almost all non-warranty work on my cars which keeps costs down. But I always check Consumer Reports, and other sources, for reliability first. Your 2020 X5 is not high on CR's reliability list. My 2024 40i is, which is the ONLY reason I even test drove one. When purchasing used cars I check to see if the reliability problems have been addressed before making any reasonable offer. In the case of Jaguar, and maybe BMW, the horrible reliability reputation and resulting depreciation, often makes them tremendous bargains.
Appreciate 0