BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Captain Infraction
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Penske and Andretti-Green contemplating jump to Formula One

If you think the domination of Brawn GP has shaken things up in Formula One, that's nothing compared to what could be in store for the F1 grid in the next year or two. While the FIA toys with budget caps and all manner of new regulations, several prospective teams are lining up at the potential of entering the field at a reduced cost. Following earlier reports that Lola, Aston Martin and several current GP2 teams are toying with the idea of jumping into top-tier grand prix racing, Bernie Ecclestone hinted at a press conference during this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix that not one, but two American entries are in the works.

Now the first we know to be the USF1/USGPE team being prepared for next year by Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor. That squad recently announced the hiring of veteran NASCAR and NASA aerodynamicist Dr. Eric Warren to help design their car and run the team. But reports now suggest that either Penske or Andretti Green Racing could be contemplating taking the leap as well. Both outfits were recently competing in IndyCars and the American Le Mans Series, Penske adding NASCAR to its list and Andretti Green having jumped into A1GP after pulling out of ALMS. And both names are familiar to the world of F1 racing, Mario and Michael Andretti having each raced in F1 and Penske having fielded a team there in the '70s. But Formula One is a different game altogether from the sport which Penske and the Andrettis knew in their day, and the jump would constitute a serious leap for either squad. Stay tuned for more.

[Source: F1-Live]
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Would be tight if TK switched to racing F1 cars. Maybe he could slap a Bimmerpost sticker somewhere on it
      05-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Michael Andretti in F1 again ... Hahahahahahahaha.... Will his team crash out of every race too?

Hahahahahahahahaha...

Hahahahahaahahahaha...

Penske on the other hand, would tear it up in F1. Didn't they used to make a lot of components for F1? Maybe still do? Dampers, and other suspension pieces, I thought. could be wrong though.
      06-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Michael Andretti in F1 again ... Hahahahahahahaha.... Will his team crash out of every race too?

Hahahahahahahahaha...

Hahahahahaahahahaha...

Penske on the other hand, would tear it up in F1. Didn't they used to make a lot of components for F1? Maybe still do? Dampers, and other suspension pieces, I thought. could be wrong though.
You don't know very much about the situation do you? When Michael was in F1 they put a ban on testing. The first time Mike was sitting on the starting grid he had about 20 hours of seat time in an F1 car (not much at all). Oh, and his car died on the starting grid in his first race and several others - no he did not crash out of every race. Ayrton Senna was a very close friend to Mike and knew he was getting hosed. Ron Dennis and Mike didn't get along at all either. Mike didn't get the same machine as Senna did either. Senna really helped him out tremendously. Mike did have a podium finish and was CONSISTENTLY faster than the McLaren test driver who had thousands of miles of testing in the car. That test driver was Mika Hakkenien. If Senna hadn't passed away, he was going to make the jump to CART. He was very tired of all the politics of F1. He even had an unofficial test with Penske.
How do I know all this? It was in a conversation I had with Mike. Look at the pic next to my name AW325XI. I'm standing next to a yellow Lambo Diablo with Mario.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
JSH
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Michael Andretti was never interested in getting fully into the F1 scene (he commuted back and forth to the USA - doesn't help the seat time issue), I don't see him changing his ways now....unless Mario speaks some sense into him and it means getting Marco into F1.

If Penske wasn't interested in running his LMP2 Porsche's at Lemans then why would he be interested in F1?
Appreciate 0