BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #1
G05 7074
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xDrive40i

Exclamation

I purchased a new car and I'm financing it through BMW Financial Services. A few weeks after buying the car I got a letter in the mail from Chase Auto saying they couldn't approve my credit application for a vehicle.

I did not contact Chase Auto.

Why did my dealership submit a credit application on my behalf to Chase Auto?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 09:38 AM   #2
Phizbam
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G05 7074 View Post
I purchased a new car and I'm financing it through BMW Financial Services. A few weeks after buying the car I got a letter in the mail from Chase Auto saying they couldn't approve my credit application for a vehicle.

Is it possible that they were "shopping around" for a better interest rate at Chase over BMW Financial Services? It's likely that you signed something that gave them the approval to apply for financing and allow them to send your information to one or more financial institutions.

My suggestion would be to call the dealership and talk to the finance person you worked with when you signed your papers and ask them why they submitted an application to chase on your behalf.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #3
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

I think as a matter of normal procedure dealerships "send over" credit applications to a variety of lenders to compare rates and conditions.
Possible your dealer has a special relationship with Chase where they match offers and pay more.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2022, 10:14 AM   #4
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Should contact your dealer and ask. Been with Chase most of my life and they don't really offer competitive rates on auto or home loans.
Appreciate 1
cruzer6661237.00
      04-14-2022, 10:32 AM   #5
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
I think as a matter of normal procedure dealerships "send over" credit applications to a variety of lenders to compare rates and conditions.
Possible your dealer has a special relationship with Chase where they match offers and pay more.
+1

Typically, the finance folks at most dealers are looking for the cheapest money for their customers each day, so they're looking to source in your interest. (I'm not saying there aren't other motivations periodically, but if you go do your HW and find cheaper loan options than they do, they're not going to be sourcing loans for long…)

As far as Chase, I disagree a bit, as I know I've had at least 1 case where Chase was who held my loan and was the cheapest money available that day/week….although, I think that's been a number of years. (I think I had an Acura I used them for and then my first BMW was held by them. But it's been 10 years…)
      04-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #6
1Mors
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i msport

Garage List
Quote:

Sounds more like identity theft attempt. BMW would have no use for chase.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 11:39 AM   #7
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

They were rate shopping. Pretty normal for auto dealers
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 12:38 PM   #8
G05 7074
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mors View Post
Quote:

Sounds more like identity theft attempt. BMW would have no use for chase.
This is what concerns me! I'm using BMWFS for the loan. Why would my local dealership "shop around" without telling me? And what incentive do they have to get me a better rate than BMWFS?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 12:59 PM   #9
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I know some dealers, after looking at your credit and/or if they feel your credit isn’t very strong, will shop around just in case you don’t qualify for your first choice and/or if financing falls through.

It’s also not too rare for you to drive off with a loan only for some underwriter a day later ultimately deny the financing. What happens then is that you (or the dealer) will need to find alternative financing or you have to return the car. I’m not saying your credit is bad, but I also highly doubt it’s identity theft.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 01:36 PM   #10
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

They get rates from like 5 or 6 different banks. They are not looking at the best rate for you. They are looking at the best rate for them.

BMWFS 3%
Chase 2%

They will print out the loan with the Chase bank at 3% interest and see if you notice.

They are authorized to add markup to the interest rate. BMWFS allows this too. So you should make sure you know the rate before you buy your car.
Appreciate 3
-=LD=-17.00
Swappy531.50
      04-14-2022, 01:39 PM   #11
Bolt1949
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW 40i  [0.00]
Quote:

Take a minute to review the credit check authorization you signed with the Dealership during your purchase process. The fine print on that document may have addressed this use. This is often included in the "stack" of paperwork one signs when shopping for and purchasing a vehicle (nowadays this is sometimes done on a signature pad). My guess is that you will find that you gave the Dealership permission to do this without realizing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 01:42 PM   #12
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Also, this won't count as another hard pull on your credit. All pulls related to the auto loan within a 14 up to a 30 day period are counted as one.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2022, 02:10 PM   #13
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
+1

Typically, the finance folks at most dealers are looking for the cheapest money for their customers each day, so they're looking to source in your interest. (I'm not saying there aren't other motivations periodically, but if you go do your HW and find cheaper loan options than they do, they're not going to be sourcing loans for long…)

As far as Chase, I disagree a bit, as I know I've had at least 1 case where Chase was who held my loan and was the cheapest money available that day/week….although, I think that's been a number of years. (I think I had an Acura I used them for and then my first BMW was held by them. But it's been 10 years…)

The dealership is the absolutely not shopping in your best interest. They are shopping in their own best interest and they have a strong incentive to push you a rate that’s as high as you’re willing to accept. They are given kickbacks for financing with their chosen lenders and they are given bonuses on that kickback if they can convince you to pay more than the “best” rate available to you.

If you go into a dealership looking like a fat goose (meaning you have no financing in hand with an interest rate on hand) they’ll pluck you. Just like everything else in car buying. Go in uninformed and unprepared and you’ll get fleeced and they’ll smile while they do it.

Hell, when I purchased my BMW, the only BMW I’ve purchased so far, I had the dealership refuse to use my lender and refuse to even offer BMWFS as an option. They were upfront about not wanting to use BMWFS as I had beat them up so much in my negotiations that they had no profit in the deal. They then refused to accept my credit union financing and had me “cooling off” with back and forth stories for over an hour until I caved (they did match my CU rate though which was .5% better than theirs).

You’d ask why didn’t I just get up and leave? It was an ordered car that I waited 2 months to get and I had negotiated them to a really low number…

I’d absolutely never ever walk into a car dealership without financing in hand. That’s the only way to know their blowing some serious smoke up your *** when they tell you their rate. It also means they now have to work for that kickback they desperately want. Instead of finding ways to offer you a “low price” on the deal while backfilling it on how much extra they get you paying out the other end.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2022, 03:55 PM   #14
Phizbam
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
I got financing through my credit union before I went in to pick up my car in March 2022. The dealer had no problem with it and frankly even told me that there was no way that they could have even come close to the interest rate I got. BWMFS rate was 2.99%, and the rate through my credit union was 1.74%.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 04:04 PM   #15
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizbam View Post
I got financing through my credit union before I went in to pick up my car in March 2022. The dealer had no problem with it and frankly even told me that there was no way that they could have even come close to the interest rate I got. BWMFS rate was 2.99%, and the rate through my credit union was 1.74%.
The kickbacks are making it a more common practice by the dealerships.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/car-dea...hare_permalink

Glad you went in armed and ready
Appreciate 1
Phizbam23.00
      04-14-2022, 04:32 PM   #16
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimster82 View Post
They get rates from like 5 or 6 different banks. They are not looking at the best rate for you. They are looking at the best rate for them.

BMWFS 3%
Chase 2%

They will print out the loan with the Chase bank at 3% interest and see if you notice.

They are authorized to add markup to the interest rate. BMWFS allows this too. So you should make sure you know the rate before you buy your car.
+1. A very accurate summary.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 05:13 PM   #17
G05 7074
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Quote:

BMWFS 3%
Chase 2%

Let me get this straight. The dealer gave me the 2.99% rate. If Chase approved and offered 1.50%, I would have continued paying 2.99% while they pocketed the difference?

I get "marking" up BMWFS's rate (e.g., giving me 3.99% while BMWFS is charging 2.99%). But if Chase is giving *me* a loan in my name, how can the dealer go to any bank (such as Chase), just to make more money off of me??
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 07:03 PM   #18
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Let me get this straight. The dealer gave me the 2.99% rate. If Chase approved and offered 1.50%, I would have continued paying 2.99% while they pocketed the difference?

I get "marking" up BMWFS's rate (e.g., giving me 3.99% while BMWFS is charging 2.99%). But if Chase is giving *me* a loan in my name, how can the dealer go to any bank (such as Chase), just to make more money off of me??
I know you didn't quote me, but...

I already explained how this works... But you can even read the WSJ I linked to (I was nice enough to link to the non-paywall version )

Quote:
They are given kickbacks for financing with their chosen lenders and they are given bonuses on that kickback if they can convince you to pay more than the “best” rate available to you.

You wouldn't have any clue what the full story is if you didn't go in prepared. In the fictional case you shared here. The dealership would never tell you that Chase is willing to finance you at 1.5%. Instead they would likely tell you that Chase has the best rate and offer you the 2.99% rate with Chase. Netting them a kickback from Chase for delivering them a whale and getting an extra kickback for getting you to accept a rate 100% higher than Chase would have otherwise given you (since you'll deliver Chase a nice profit).

The Finance room is where the dealership makes the bulk of its money on a deal. They have a lot of tricks up their sleeve to do it. It isn't just overpriced warranties.
Appreciate 3
      04-14-2022, 07:09 PM   #19
rpm50i
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 m50i (in build)

exactly why i walk in with a loan already approved in my backpocket.
Appreciate 2
Phizbam23.00
      04-14-2022, 08:14 PM   #20
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Quote:

BMWFS 3%
Chase 2%

Dealers are going to gouge you as much as possible right now….on the car and financing.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #21
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I know you didn't quote me, but...

I already explained how this works... But you can even read the WSJ I linked to (I was nice enough to link to the non-paywall version )

You wouldn't have any clue what the full story is if you didn't go in prepared. In the fictional case you shared here. The dealership would never tell you that Chase is willing to finance you at 1.5%. Instead they would likely tell you that Chase has the best rate and offer you the 2.99% rate with Chase. Netting them a kickback from Chase for delivering them a whale and getting an extra kickback for getting you to accept a rate 100% higher than Chase would have otherwise given you (since you'll deliver Chase a nice profit).

The Finance room is where the dealership makes the bulk of its money on a deal. They have a lot of tricks up their sleeve to do it. It isn't just overpriced warranties.
The good news, I think, is that there is a maximum that a dealer can markup the rate, perhaps 3% that way an unsuspecting customer is not gouged too bad
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #22
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
The good news, I think, is that there is a maximum that a dealer can markup the rate, perhaps 3% that way an unsuspecting customer is not gouged too bad
For BMWFS financing, they can only mark it up 1%.
GrokuE751.00