BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2024, 07:43 AM   #1
pcourt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

X5 50e Changing AC Limit on Its Own

Hello, I have a 2024 X5 50e. I've had for four months and it's been in the shop twice but that's another story. I've noticed that the car changes its AC limit on its own. I'll set it to 32 (the max) and then after a night of charging on my Level 1 charger, it will have changed the limit to 6. Once I noticed it was changed to 1.

I have not found any documentation that the vehicle should automatically change the AC limit.

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 08:00 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcourt View Post
Hello, I have a 2024 X5 50e. I've had for four months and it's been in the shop twice but that's another story. I've noticed that the car changes its AC limit on its own. I'll set it to 32 (the max) and then after a night of charging on my Level 1 charger, it will have changed the limit to 6. Once I noticed it was changed to 1.

I have not found any documentation that the vehicle should automatically change the AC limit.

Any help would be appreciated.
to clarify, the setting doesn’t change the AC limit. the AC voltage that feeds the charger is on the house side (110/120V), and that is constant. that setting refers to the vehicle’s charge rate. NOTE the actual charger is inside the vehicle (the level 1 is an EVSE, not a charger)

what is the amperage of the circuit your level 1 is plugged into? by code and depending on the rating, you can’t charge any faster than 16A continuous. following the 80% rule, most common household outlets are on a 15A circuit, so that’s 12A max. a dedicated 20A circuit can charge at 16A max. that’s really it for level 1 charging. are you using a third party EVSE or the one included with the vehicle? setting the vehicle to 32A isn’t going to make it charge at that rate because the included level 1 maxes out at 10A anyway.

all that said, randomly defaulting to 6A happened a lot in the early days of the 45e which is the predecessor to the 50e. software upgrades addressed it. i never saw this issue on my 45e since Dec 2020, and this is the first I’ve heard of it happening on the 50e, but is it randomly? be aware that many settings can revert to default values after software upgrade. what version are you on, and did the dealership upgrade your software while in service for your other issue?

as an aside, the charging options are different on the 50e compared to the 45e (iDrive 8/8.5 versus iDrive 7). on the 45e, setting the charge rate limit only affected the included level 1 EVSE, not third-party level 1 or any level 2, and it can’t go lower than 6A. I understand the 50e is different? hopefully another 50e owner can chime in
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 08:17 AM   #3
Jcit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
I have experienced the 50e changing the max charging rate on several occasions to 6A. The 6A limit is the default in the system so it is likely just resetting to default. I think this issue is caused by the "Location-based charging" settings so I disabled that in iDrive and it has not reappeared. My guess is the car is confused where it is and just defaults to the 6A limit.
Apps Menu>Vehicle>Charging>Location-based charging settings>Save based on location <-- Disable this feature
Appreciate 0