05-24-2020, 07:31 AM   #46
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
I think a couple of BMW Engineers had heard about this concept but they forgot to assign the task to anyone to actually implement it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #47
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
I think a couple of BMW Engineers had heard about this concept but they forgot to assign the task to anyone to actually implement it.
The point of the video was mostly that Tesla a) uses customers as alpha testers and b) as a result improves its car software over time faster than others. a) is dangerous and annoying and we've bitched (correctly) about it with respect to the X5 as well. And b) BMW is actually doing (and has demonstrably done) as well, just not OTA. Both a) and b) are about an order of magnitude less on X5 than a Tesla, which I'll actually assert is a better trade off. BMW is moving ahead with more caution than relatively reckless Tesla updates (like the "smart summon" functionality shown — no question that what was shown is just plain reckless to be released into the wild by Tesla).

The video wasn't really about the existence of OTA updates (the topic of this thread and complaint)— those are a solved problem for Tesla and not worthy of discussion any longer.

So the video is interesting, but tangential to the discussion of this thread.
      05-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #48
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I agree with all of your complaints. Overall, my vehicle works to my satisfaction in the technology department. However, companies that make false claims to features that we pay for rubs me raw!

Don't blow smoke up my ass telling me how great the feature is and how important it is to keep your vehicle up to date via OTA updates only to find out it doesn't work and doesn't even exist in the United States to date.

Several people from other countries have stated that they have gotten OTA updates and the updates have worked. They Do Not work in the United States and have never worked in the US.

When the no charge OTA updates expire after 3 years of ownership, I'm sure those that keep their cars will be raising a big stink if BMW tries to charge us a subscription fee to keep this option that has never worked. Especially, if they've never received an OTA update during those first 3 years.

My guess is that, like Apple Car Play, they will just continue to not charge owners for this option later on. If BMW does try to charge them for the OTA updates, owners that still have their cars will most likely revolt and someone will sue them.
I agree with you on the CarPlay-like model BMW pulled before. Technology, features, and all that happy BS aside...it is a slippery slope we are nearing in the automotive world. EVERYTHING, even outside of auto, is subscription based. I guess planned obsolescence was not enough, and companies realize they can make things seem more convenient and cheaper by breaking costs down to lower numbers...but in the long run, cost us more money. I just hate we are getting tested, but I would say we passed by bitching up to BMW about CarPlay. I have no problem if the technology is not there yet, or even lagging behind....but give me some transparent communication. I feel bad for the employees at BMWNA/other regions, as well as the dealerships. Whoever is running the show at BMW seems to just want to crank out stuff without taking the time to improve or even fix what is being actively advertised.

I assume the majority of BMW owners are either leasing or upgrade around 3-5 years, so it's a non-issue for most. However, as I stated in an earlier post, we paid for the features in the cost of the vehicle...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #49
rtadams1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

I took my car in last week for a service and software update. I asked for the latest update to activate the heated steering wheel with the remote start. I was told the dealer will not perform a software update unless there’s a larger problem with the car. They told me if anything happens during the update I would be responsible for any costs associated. Talk about smoke... needless to say, I’m pissed.

If not for the current circumstances, I would have made a much bigger deal. Has anyone else had this issue? Am I off base for thinking a software update is expected on a luxury car?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:19 PM   #50
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

We have had a number of folks report that their dealer will not perform a software update unless there is a problem that needs to be solved. I'm not certain but I think the "official" policy is of the key check shows an upgrade needs to be done they will do it and bill BMWNA. If it doesn't, then it is up to the dealer whether they will perform the upgrade or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:26 PM   #51
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
We have had a number of folks report that their dealer will not perform a software update unless there is a problem that needs to be solved. I'm not certain but I think the "official" policy is of the key check shows an upgrade needs to be done they will do it and bill BMWNA. If it doesn't, then it is up to the dealer whether they will perform the upgrade or not.
Before going to the dealer, is there a way to check your own key fob and see what the dealer sees when he plugs it into his reader?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #52
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Before going to the dealer, is there a way to check your own key fob and see what the dealer sees when he plugs it into his reader?
Not that I heard of but perhaps someone has found a way.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #53
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadams1 View Post
I took my car in last week for a service and software update. I asked for the latest update to activate the heated steering wheel with the remote start. I was told the dealer will not perform a software update unless there’s a larger problem with the car. They told me if anything happens during the update I would be responsible for any costs associated. Talk about smoke... needless to say, I’m pissed.

If not for the current circumstances, I would have made a much bigger deal. Has anyone else had this issue? Am I off base for thinking a software update is expected on a luxury car?
My dealer is at a point that even when I turn in a list of issues that would be improved by a firmware update, they decline to resolve in my favor. (This is a custom order early edition 2019.)
I keep asking how much we must pay for a G05 to not have to beg for what we promised in the marketing.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:15 PM   #54
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Not that I heard of but perhaps someone has found a way.
That's too bad, I was hoping for more transparency and thought that maybe the Connected Drive app might have been the way. Dealers being who they are, it would be nice knowing what they are going to see via your key fob or OBD port before going in.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #55
Flippy_00
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 45e

FYI, i just got a notification that an update was available for my X5 45e (built jan 2020)

Orig version from factory (current version): 11/2019.50
Update mentioned in the App: 11/2019.70

I will install it later today...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #56
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy_00 View Post
FYI, i just got a notification that an update was available for my X5 45e (built jan 2020)

Orig version from factory (current version): 11/2019.50
Update mentioned in the App: 11/2019.70

I will install it later today...
OP is in the USA, where remote software updates has not been rolled out despite what BMWNA has marketed.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 07:39 PM   #57
Usher9387
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

I complaint to BBB and this is the response i received from BMW Canada. BMW canada is the worse customer service compare to other countries.

Thank you for choosing BMW.

Please be advised this is a written correspondence to follow up our phone conversation from earlier today. As previously advised on our call, our records indicate that your vehicle's software has been upgraded six times by your retailers, and your 2019 BMW X5 currently has version 19-07 of iDrive 7 software. There have been no over the air (OTA) updates released for the iDrive 7's with 19-07 software to date. It is important to note that OTA updates are typically released six or more months after a version is rolled out to factory built vehicles with updated software. Software 19-11 for iDrive 7 is expected to be released later this year, possibly by end of the Fourth Quarter. This could be released sooner. Once the OTA update is ready for your vehicle, a notification will alert on your iDrive.

Retailers can obtain these upgrades earlier than the OTA update roll outs. To have an earlier installation and upgrade, customers may contact their preferred authorized retailer service teams. Please also note that having the update manually done prior to the OTA release may be subject to labour and software charges. As such, we recommend speaking to a technician within your preferred authorized BMW retailer service centre on the availability and pricing for early upgrade.

The newest X5's models coming of the line from the factory will have factory issued software 20-07 for the iDrive 7. This software will not be an issued update for previous software versions for approximately six months after the 19-11 OTA update. BMW Canada does reserve the right to change release dates without notice. We hope you find this information helpful.

If you have any further comments or questions, please reply to this e-mail or you may contact me directly at 1-800-567-2691, extension 2583. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2020, 08:05 PM   #58
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usher9387 View Post
I complaint to BBB and this is the response i received from BMW Canada. BMW canada is the worse customer service compare to other countries.

Please be advised this is a written correspondence to follow up our phone conversation from earlier today. As previously advised on our call, our records indicate that your vehicle's software has been upgraded six times by your retailers, and your 2019 BMW X5 currently has version 19-07 of iDrive 7 software. There have been no over the air (OTA) updates released for the iDrive 7's with 19-07 software to date. It is important to note that OTA updates are typically released six or more months after a version is rolled out to factory built vehicles with updated software. Software 19-11 for iDrive 7 is expected to be released later this year, possibly by end of the Fourth Quarter. This could be released sooner. Once the OTA update is ready for your vehicle, a notification will alert on your iDrive.

Retailers can obtain these upgrades earlier than the OTA update roll outs. To have an earlier installation and upgrade, customers may contact their preferred authorized retailer service teams. Please also note that having the update manually done prior to the OTA release may be subject to labour and software charges. As such, we recommend speaking to a technician within your preferred authorized BMW retailer service centre on the availability and pricing for early upgrade.

The newest X5's models coming of the line from the factory will have factory issued software 20-07 for the iDrive 7. This software will not be an issued update for previous software versions for approximately six months after the 19-11 OTA update. BMW Canada does reserve the right to change release dates without notice. We hope you find this information helpful.

If you have any further comments or questions, please reply to this e-mail or you may contact me directly at 1-800-567-2691, extension 2583. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.
Actually, I find their response pretty helpful/clear. Guess I'm missing something
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
parkstr8562.00
      07-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #59
Usher9387
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:

Actually, I find their response pretty helpful/clear. Guess I'm missing something
Unfortunately I'm not. My vehicle has .7/55 if I want to update to the next version or the current version then dealers can charge us but this is suppose to be free because BMW Canada delayed to rollout OTA to Canadian customers. As per the email I may get the update 19-11 end of this year(2020).

It is important to note that OTA updates are typically released six or more months after a version is rolled out to factory built vehicles with updated software. Software 19-11 for iDrive 7 is expected to be released later this year, possibly by end of the Fourth Quarter
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 10:23 PM   #60
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately I'm not. My vehicle has .7/55 if I want to update to the next version or the current version then dealers can charge us but this is suppose to be free because BMW Canada delayed to rollout OTA to Canadian customers. As per the email I may get the update 19-11 end of this year(2020).

It is important to note that OTA updates are typically released six or more months after a version is rolled out to factory built vehicles with updated software. Software 19-11 for iDrive 7 is expected to be released later this year, possibly by end of the Fourth Quarter
Just take it to the dealer and tell them CarPlay drops out intermittently- you can get your update for free and just have to put up with the hassle of having the vehicle off the road for a day.

OTA updates are apparently going to lag by at least 6 months to test the stability of each release. Makes sense as it is expensive to tow customers cars from home to a garage if they go wrong during the update!
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2020, 03:01 AM   #61
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:

11/2019.70 has been available OTA for some weeks now.

07/2020 is scheduled for OTA release October 2020. It's not clear which markets will get this first.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 06:38 AM   #62
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

What I find strange is the nonlinear manner to which they roll out these updates to people. Even though .70 has been available for remote update for some time, the manner to which people are getting notified seems almost random; it’s not like a typical software update that gets rolled out to everyone at once.

They either don’t want their servers overwhelmed and/or they are doing it piecemeal as a precautionary measure in case there are bugs so it doesn’t affect everyone at once.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 06:47 AM   #63
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If your vehicle is not functioning as expected then the software update is free of charge. On the other hand, if you want the latest & greatest version, then yeah, you have to pay.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0