BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #287
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I'd say kick it or punch it. But I'm a girl, what do I know about driving.
"drop the hammer" is another one I use.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      11-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #288
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

I like WOT
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #289
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I don't know that acknowledging your mistake is as bad as some make it seem. In many cases, owning up to a mistake is valued.......even a tad refreshing, especially since people tend to object to, and deny, any wrongdoing much of the time. I think you handled it well.

With regards to the situation that you found yourself in, the officer definitely did you a solid by not citing/arresting you for reckless driving and towing/impounding your car. Having knowledge of the area and desolate nature of that road likely factored into his decision to send you away with a warning (...and advise to top it off at 100mph). Cool cop if you ask me.
Oh he was a good guy for sure. But technical correction there - this was in km/h, not mph. So only like 24 mph over the limit...not quite as bad right?

What's the limit down in the States where usually police don't bother to move out and nab you if they are doing traffic enforcement? Up where I live, you are usually safe doing 12-15 mph (or 20-25 km/h) over the limit on the highways, and 9mph (15 km/h) elsewhere. Usually.

Quote:
Ahah, why this is quite simply amazing news! Before I left the forums, you started off in the denial stage, and worked your way to the "anger and bargaining" stage.

But somehow, during my little absence from the forums, it appears you quickly worked through the remaining stages, and have now reached the final stage "acceptance".

Wonderful news - kudos to you!

https://www.thrivetalk.com/7-stages-of-grief/
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #290
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:
I don't know that acknowledging your mistake is as bad as some make it seem. In many cases, owning up to a mistake is valued.......even a tad refreshing, especially since people tend to object to, and deny, any wrongdoing much of the time. I think you handled it well.

With regards to the situation that you found yourself in, the officer definitely did you a solid by not citing/arresting you for reckless driving and towing/impounding your car. Having knowledge of the area and desolate nature of that road likely factored into his decision to send you away with a warning (...and advise to top it off at 100mph). Cool cop if you ask me.
Oh he was a good guy for sure. But technical correction there - this was in km/h, not mph. So only like 24 mph over the limit...not quite as bad right?

What's the limit down in the States where usually police don't bother to move out and nab you if they are doing traffic enforcement? Up where I live, you are usually safe doing 12-15 mph (or 20-25 km/h) over the limit on the highways, and 9mph (15 km/h) elsewhere. Usually.

Quote:
Ahah, why this is quite simply amazing news! Before I left the forums, you started off in the denial stage, and worked your way to the "anger and bargaining" stage.

But somehow, during my little absence from the forums, it appears you quickly worked through the remaining stages, and have now reached the final stage "acceptance".

It's normally about 10-12mph over the posted limit that is the threshold for most officers working traffic. I personally observe the regular flow on a particular roadway, and look for the driver who is traveling faster than everybody else.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      11-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #291
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:

I just did that to show you how much I missed you.
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      11-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #292
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I personally observe the regular flow on a particular roadway, and look for the driver who is traveling faster than everybody else.
I'm new to this board, and haven't gone back to read any of your posts, but are you a traffic officer?

If so, have you ever given someone a ticket for not using the passing lane correctly, ie driving in the passing lane, not letting others that are trying to go faster, pass?

I drive for a living, and if that one thing were changed, rather enforced better, I feel like a massive percentage of traffic would go away overnight.

Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #293
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
I just did that to show you how much I missed you.
Aww, that's nice, and here I was getting all excited for a stinging retort, and you go and adopt the "catching more flies with honey than vinegar" approach and catch me off guard.

Sigh...what can I say, it is nice to be missed. And if you aren't going to throw down, then I'll just have to wait to find a newcomer to OT who is imbalanced and have a little fun with them I suppose. Now_Rudi and I had a huge amount of fun with one individual a few months back, I feel he was only a few posts away from an apoplectic stroke.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15560.00
King Rudi13152.00
      11-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #294
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
I personally observe the regular flow on a particular roadway, and look for the driver who is traveling faster than everybody else.
I'm new to this board, and haven't gone back to read any of your posts, but are you a traffic officer?

If so, have you ever given someone a ticket for not using the passing lane correctly, ie driving in the passing lane, not letting others that are trying to go faster, pass?

I drive for a living, and if that one thing were changed, rather enforced better, I feel like a massive percentage of traffic would go away overnight.

Your thoughts?
I work traffic cars and crime cars (...e.g. a car assignment that doesn't deal with much traffic, but deals with everything else.....robberies, burglaries, assaults, shootings, domestic violence, etc.). Yes, when I worked highways with my previous department, I wrote citations for the infraction(s) you mentioned, plus many, many more. I tend to agree with you in many aspects, but passing isn't the most significant issue here in California.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      11-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #295
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Sedan_Clan

So its an old story, but I still am trying to figure out what I could have said in this situation that was still safe rather than looking like an idiot with a goofy grin on my face.

So I pulled onto this concession road (long, straight, few farmhouses but very little traffic) and give the car the boot just to have a little fun. About a mile or more away I see another car approaching and while I couldn't pick it out at that distance, the light signature just looked odd to me, like a potential cop, so I immediately braked and brought it down to about 10-15 km/h over the speed limit which is typically pretty safe here.

So anyways, as we get closer, I realize it is indeed a cop driving the other way and as he passes me, I'm sort of breathing a sigh of relief until I see his brake lights come on hard and pull a U turn...then I know he definitely had me on radar way back there. So I pull over, he said he had clocked me at 109 in an 80 km/h (which is true, I was well above 109 probably, I still often let the car drift up to 115 or so on this road to this day), he grabs my license and insurance, looks at it in his car, then comes back to the window.

When he comes back, he then said he was really impressed at how far away I managed to identify him (guess his radar showed when I started to brake). So I'm sitting there, wondering what to say to that. I mean, if I say thanks, I'm definitely admitting I was a very naughty person back there and richly deserving of a ticket, BUT it would also show that I'm a fairly aware driver too. So I can't remember what I wound up doing, aside from sitting there probably with a goofy grin and probably saying something dumb like "yeah".

But what would you have done if I admitted it in that circumstance, or what is safe to say?

All I remember was that he then looked at me and recognized that I would walk my dog down a nearby street that he would sometimes patrol and once we established that, we talked about the new Charger and he let me off with a warning and asked me to keep it below 100 on that stretch.

So it was all good in the end...but is it favourable to admit you saw the officer in that circumstance or you think it could be a bit of a trap?

100km/h lol, not mph.

Wouldn't expect no cop to let someone off doing 100mph+
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #296
suckbangblow
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

How did you decide to become an officer? Were there things in your life that lead you to being an officer?

Are you happy with the pay you receive?

Do you think if officers were paid more, you would have a better quality police force?

Tell us another good story. I like a good Cop story. Be it good or bad.

Also, thanks for your service. Is that right? I mean, it is a job, but you are serving your community...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #297
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Sedan_Clan

So its an old story, but I still am trying to figure out what I could have said in this situation that was still safe rather than looking like an idiot with a goofy grin on my face.

So I pulled onto this concession road (long, straight, few farmhouses but very little traffic) and give the car the boot just to have a little fun. About a mile or more away I see another car approaching and while I couldn't pick it out at that distance, the light signature just looked odd to me, like a potential cop, so I immediately braked and brought it down to about 10-15 km/h over the speed limit which is typically pretty safe here.

So anyways, as we get closer, I realize it is indeed a cop driving the other way and as he passes me, I'm sort of breathing a sigh of relief until I see his brake lights come on hard and pull a U turn...then I know he definitely had me on radar way back there. So I pull over, he said he had clocked me at 109 in an 80 km/h (which is true, I was well above 109 probably, I still often let the car drift up to 115 or so on this road to this day), he grabs my license and insurance, looks at it in his car, then comes back to the window.

When he comes back, he then said he was really impressed at how far away I managed to identify him (guess his radar showed when I started to brake). So I'm sitting there, wondering what to say to that. I mean, if I say thanks, I'm definitely admitting I was a very naughty person back there and richly deserving of a ticket, BUT it would also show that I'm a fairly aware driver too. So I can't remember what I wound up doing, aside from sitting there probably with a goofy grin and probably saying something dumb like "yeah".

But what would you have done if I admitted it in that circumstance, or what is safe to say?

All I remember was that he then looked at me and recognized that I would walk my dog down a nearby street that he would sometimes patrol and once we established that, we talked about the new Charger and he let me off with a warning and asked me to keep it below 100 on that stretch.

So it was all good in the end...but is it favourable to admit you saw the officer in that circumstance or you think it could be a bit of a trap?

100km/h lol, not mph.

Wouldn't expect no cop to let someone off doing 100mph+ lol
Shit! My bad. I fail to remember that there are other countries outside of the USA.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #298
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sedan_Clan

100km/h lol, not mph.

Shit! My bad. I fail to remember that there are other countries outside of the USA.
Says the guy with the Brazil flag on profile

Jk man, don't cite me!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      11-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #299
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:

Your thoughts?
ARGH! I had a NYC DOT car (a Prius, no less) in front of me for 5 miles yesterday in the left lane of a two lane roadway. In addition to not even doing to speed limit, he had that pack mentality and stuck side by side to the car in the right lane. I wanted to stab him. You would think a DOT employee would KNOW keep right except to pass and that driving side by side impedes the flow of traffic.
Rmtt8206.00
      11-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #300
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
As Joekerr well knows, Canadia isn't really a country to be considered, so . . . eh.

So I'm sitting there, wondering what to say to that. I mean, if I say thanks, I'm definitely admitting I was a very naughty person back there and richly deserving of a ticket, BUT it would also show that I'm a fairly aware driver too.

"Shut the F@CK UP!" At least that's what my handcuff friend always tells me on the radio.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      11-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #301
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckbangblow View Post
How did you decide to become an officer? Were there things in your life that lead you to being an officer?

Are you happy with the pay you receive?

Do you think if officers were paid more, you would have a better quality police force?

Tell us another good story. I like a good Cop story. Be it good or bad.

Also, thanks for your service. Is that right? I mean, it is a job, but you are serving your community...
That's a great question, and thank you for the supportive words. I'm not one of those guys who played "cops and robbers" as a child and dreamed about one day potentially dying for those that despise me. That latter cynicism aside, it wasn't until my mid-20's that my interest in the field began to sprout. Initially I wanted to be an architect, but the father of a woman I dated nearly all of my 20's was a California Highway Patrolman who retired as a Lieutenant a few years ago; a month or two prior to the death of one of his daughters at the hands of a terrorist. HE, alone, was the impetus for going this route to serve and protect the public, and I'm thankful for his early influence in my life every single day.

California law enforcement is paid the highest in the country. Our respective unions fight for significant raises and our retirements are robust. I have absolutely no complaints. I don't think money is the driver; departmental morale is......and to a lesser, or equal, degree, laws that don't negatively impact our ability to do our jobs effectively. Certain laws create an environment where the motivation to make an arrest dissipates.....rapidly.

...and as for the story, do you want to hear one with a positive/amicable ending or a negative ending?
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #302
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sedan_Clan

100km/h lol, not mph.

Says the guy with the Brazil flag on profile

Jk man, don't cite me!
Touché!!! Lol! You've got me there.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #303
suckbangblow
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
That's a great question, and thank you for the supportive words. I'm not one of those guys who played "cops and robbers" as a child and dreamed about one day potentially dying for those that despise me. That latter cynicism aside, it wasn't until my mid-20's that my interest in the field began to sprout. Initially I wanted to be an architect, but the father of a woman I dated nearly all of my 20's was a California Highway Patrolman who retired as a Lieutenant a few years ago; a month or two prior to the death of one of his daughters at the hands of a terrorist. HE, alone, was the impetus for going this route to serve and protect the public, and I'm thankful for his early influence in my life every single day.

California law enforcement is paid the highest in the country. Our respective unions fight for significant raises and our retirements are robust. I have absolutely no complaints. I don't think money is the driver; departmental morale is......and to a lesser, or equal, degree, laws that don't negatively impact our ability to do our jobs effectively. Certain laws create an environment where the motivation to make an arrest dissipates.....rapidly.

...and as for the story, do you want to hear one with a positive/amicable ending or a negative ending?
Great reason for being an officer.

Well, around here, police officers don't have it so good, which is why I ask.

I like a good ending if it has some action ahead of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #304
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes, when I worked highways with my previous department, I wrote citations for the infraction(s) you mentioned..
I applaud you.

Quote:
I tend to agree with you in many aspects, but passing isn't the most significant issue here in California.
I guess we all see the world through our own rose-colored glasses. I drive in the middle of the country (MO, IL, IN, TX, AR, LA, KS, etc), and in those states it's a big problem. But I guess overall those states on their worst day aren't as bad as California on its best day.

I'm not into politics, but I do wonder why, since they have the ability to, cell service providers don't turn off the ability to use apps over say, 5 mph. It would be easily possible. Your take on that?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #305
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, when I worked highways with my previous department, I wrote citations for the infraction(s) you mentioned..
I applaud you.

Quote:
I tend to agree with you in many aspects, but passing isn't the most significant issue here in California.
I guess we all see the world through our own rose-colored glasses. I drive in the middle of the country (MO, IL, IN, TX, AR, LA, KS, etc), and in those states it's a big problem. But I guess overall those states on their worst day aren't as bad as California on its best day.

I'm not into politics, but I do wonder why, since they have the ability to, cell service providers don't turn off the ability to use apps over say, 5 mph. It would be easily possible. Your take on that?
Your concerns have merit. Every region/demographic has its issues. I think overall the problem(s) that you mentioned, and the issues that I observe, are rooted in a lack of attentiveness to the surroundings. People just don't pay attention on the roads, and that leads to major issues (...congestion, accidents, etc.).
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      11-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #306
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:

I've actually thought of developing software to implement this very idea you mentioned. Unfortunately I never went forward with it, but I can just imagine the significant positive impact it would make in so many ways.

I'm sure its been thought of by many other software developers, and I do wonder why no one has developed it yet.

Great question though.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      11-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #307
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Your concerns have merit. Every region/demographic has its issues. I think overall the problem(s) that you mentioned, and the issues that I observe, are rooted in a lack of attentiveness to the surroundings. People just don't pay attention on the roads, and that leads to major issues (...congestion, accidents, etc.).
100% agree.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #308
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckbangblow View Post
Quote:

Great reason for being an officer.

Well, around here, police officers don't have it so good, which is why I ask.

I like a good ending if it has some action ahead of it.
Here's one.....

....So I'm on patrol one night and I observe a vehicle in my rear view mirror traveling at a high rate of speed. As the car passes, I start rolling code, and the chase is on. The driver exited the freeway and starts driving through the hills. Part of me was a little impressed by the driving, and part of me was thinking, "This m'fer is going to end up tumbling down the hillside." Finally the driver yields, and who do I find in the driver's seat?!?!? ......a 14 year old girl with no license, wearing pajamas and driving shoes. LMAO! I laughed.....loudly!
Appreciate 1