05-17-2020, 02:47 AM   #969
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
watching live pd. couple of observations. whats up with the vests everyone is wearing with all the crap on your chest? also, why are perps being put in the front seat instead of the back?
Those vests are a life saver for your back and hips. Years of patrolling with a duty belt eventually leads to hip/back issues. Having a tactical vest helps distribute weight and reduces hip/back issues. We NEVER put detained individuals in the front. Maybe some other departments do, but not here in California. That's crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Officer how has covid impacted your duties?
I still have to arrest assholes, so it hasn't. Lol! The only difference is that we have reduced transient contact and we have N95 masks with us. California also instituted the "no bail" warrant to reduce who we actually bring to jail; we cite and release in the field.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
scostu1619.50
      05-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #970
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Haven’t been in this thread for some time. OP, glad all seems well with you.

Have people filed complaints against you? If so, has the department sided with you on all/most of the time? Not asking just to be ‘that guy’, however, I’m not sure if I should file a complaint against an officer.

I’ll try to be quick:

April 30th a semi truck (no trailer) took out my fender, headlight and bumper while I was stopped. Driver failed to see me in the right lane as I was about to make a right hand turn when he made a right hand turn from the left lane. Officer who arrived at the scene blamed me for the incident, saying that my car was too low to the ground and the truck driver couldn’t see me. No ticket was issued to either party, yet both insurance companies put the blame on the truck driver. However, there are issues with his coverage.

Worth pursuing a complaint against the officer for failure to ticket the trucker for the accident/possible no insurance?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 01:12 PM   #971
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Haven't been in this thread for some time. OP, glad all seems well with you.

Have people filed complaints against you? If so, has the department sided with you on all/most of the time? Not asking just to be 'that guy', however, I'm not sure if I should file a complaint against an officer.

I'll try to be quick:

April 30th a semi truck (no trailer) took out my fender, headlight and bumper while I was stopped. Driver failed to see me in the right lane as I was about to make a right hand turn when he made a right hand turn from the left lane. Officer who arrived at the scene blamed me for the incident, saying that my car was too low to the ground and the truck driver couldn't see me. No ticket was issued to either party, yet both insurance companies put the blame on the truck driver. However, there are issues with his coverage.

Worth pursuing a complaint against the officer for failure to ticket the trucker for the accident/possible no insurance?
Thanks bro!

Nobody has filed a complaint against me at my current station, but I've had inmates file complaints when I worked the jails and people have complained occasionally when I was with my previous department. It comes with the territory.

With that said, I would file a complaint if you feel justified in doing so. Generally speaking, unless the collision is major (...and absent any impairment from drugs/alcohol or extreme negligence, e.g....running a red light) we usually allow the parties involved to deal with it on their own via communication between the insurance companies. The officer's assertion that your car was too low just seemed a tad misplaced, but whether or not it is worthy of a complaint is up to you Sir. Only you know how his attitude made you feel. I never seek to diminish how words or actions made/make somebody feel (...although I laugh at complaints people have made against me because I arrested them for a crime or because I didn't baby them while they were incarcerated. Go figure!).
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
F30lolz6798.50
vreihen1614882.00
      05-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #972
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Thanks bro!

Nobody has filed a complaint against me at my current station, but I've had inmates file complaints when I worked the jails and people have complained occasionally when I was with my previous department. It comes with the territory.

With that said, I would file a complaint if you feel justified in doing so. Generally speaking, unless the collision is major (...and absent any impairment from drugs/alcohol or extreme negligence, e.g....running a red light) we usually allow the parties involved to deal with it on their own via communication between the insurance companies. The officer's assertion that your car was too low just seemed a tad misplaced, but whether or not it is worthy of a complaint is up to you Sir. Only you know how his attitude made you feel.
I was told by my first Staff Supt. when I was a very young officer and standing in his office getting my first complaint that if folks didn't complain then I wasn't doing my job. I got lots of complaints in my carrier, and was never found at fault. The nature of the beast really. And some folks just love to complain.

As for the comment about your car being too low, it could've been a passing remark or observation rather than an accusation or suggestion of "fault''. You can file a complaint like Sedan suggested if you feel his conduct was in question. Sometimes personal style might seem like it's wrong and may rub you the wrong way but it might not be unbecoming.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24809.50
vreihen1614882.00
F30lolz6798.50
      05-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #973
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks bro!

With that said, I would file a complaint if you feel justified in doing so. Generally speaking, unless the collision is major (...and absent any impairment from drugs/alcohol or extreme negligence, e.g....running a red light) we usually allow the parties involved to deal with it on their own via communication between the insurance companies. The officer's assertion that your car was too low just seemed a tad misplaced, but whether or not it is worthy of a complaint is up to you Sir. Only you know how his attitude made you feel. I never seek to diminish how words or actions made/make somebody feel (...although I laugh at complaints people have made against me because I arrested them for a crime or because I didn't baby them while they were incarcerated. Go figure!).
Thanks for the reply. My complaint would be mostly due to her lack of writing a ticket for this guy possibly not having coverage. When she mentioned to me about my car being too low, I couldn’t believe my ears. I wasn’t a jerk towards her, however, I was firm.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      05-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #974
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
Thanks bro!

With that said, I would file a complaint if you feel justified in doing so. Generally speaking, unless the collision is major (...and absent any impairment from drugs/alcohol or extreme negligence, e.g....running a red light) we usually allow the parties involved to deal with it on their own via communication between the insurance companies. The officer's assertion that your car was too low just seemed a tad misplaced, but whether or not it is worthy of a complaint is up to you Sir. Only you know how his attitude made you feel.
I was told by my first Staff Supt. when I was a very young officer and standing in his office getting my first complaint that if folks didn't complain then I wasn't doing my job. I got lots of complaints in my carrier, and was never found at fault. The nature of the beast really. And some folks just love to complain.

As for the comment about your car being too low, it could've been a passing remark or observation rather than an accusation or suggestion of "fault''. You can file a complaint like Sedan suggested if you feel his conduct was in question. Sometimes personal style might seem like it's wrong and may rub you the wrong way but it might not be unbecoming.
Agree completely!
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      06-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #975
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

On a scale of 1 to "I'm thinking about quitting" how unsafe do you feel out there compared to a typical week?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #976
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDimmer6 View Post
On a scale of 1 to "I'm thinking about quitting" how unsafe do you feel out there compared to a typical week?
I would never quit. I've been at this too long. I do feel the tension. I always have being that I'm a black cop who was born in the hood, escaped it and achieved relative success in life. There's a degree of danger present when racial tensions are high, and if you've never been in a mob, it is scary. If I had to put things on a scale, I would have to use the sliding format. Most days I'm good, but every now and then I just become mentally exhausted and want to leave patrol and do another job in the department where I don't have to deal with the world's idiots 10 hours a day (...actually 12+ now since we're on 12's with no days off until further notice).
Appreciate 6
vreihen1614882.00
upstatedoc7555.50
Rmtt8206.00
scostu1619.50
      06-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #977
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

Quote:
I would never quit. I've been at this too long. I do feel the tension. I always have being that I'm a black cop who was born in the hood, escaped it and achieved relative success in life. There's a degree of danger present when racial tensions are high, and if you've never been in a mob, it is scary. If I had to put things on a scale, I would have to use the sliding format. Most days I'm good, but every now and then I just become mentally exhausted and want to leave patrol and do another job in the department where I don't have to deal with the world's idiots 10 hours a day (...actually 12+ now since we're on 12's with no days off until further notice).
Well I certainly appreciate what you're doing. I know you hear it a lot, but not enough during these times. I still don't know how you do it, but I'm assuming your upbringing gave you a different perspective on life and joining LE was a calling rather than a choice?

Either way, thanks for keeping us safe out there! Also, one more question since we have a dedicated thread for this lol. How do the majority of your colleagues (all races) view what is going on right now? And do you notice any bias from your black colleagues towards protecting the protestors?
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Rmtt8206.00
      06-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #978
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well I certainly appreciate what you're doing. I know you hear it a lot, but not enough during these times. I still don't know how you do it, but I'm assuming your upbringing gave you a different perspective on life and joining LE was a calling rather than a choice?

Either way, thanks for keeping us safe out there! Also, one more question since we have a dedicated thread for this lol. How do the majority of your colleagues (all races) view what is going on right now? And do you notice any bias from your black colleagues towards protecting the protestors?
Thanks bro!

It all begins in the home. Upbringing is everything.

I notice no bias. We're all tired of it and we just want to go home to family and loved ones.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614882.00
Rmtt8206.00
      06-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #979
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:

I have quite a few friends that are cops and this is 100% them too. The mental exhaustion at times. Every time I see someone cop hating - I tell them "go do a ride along". If you heard the way these people speak to cops, how they go to the same houses every single week for the same BS and go through the same motions over and over with the same offenders - it would get to anyone.

How many people have you arrested that said I can breathe when you were holding them down? How many claim the handcuff are cutting off the blood in their wrists? Etc, Etc. I've never been a cop, but you'd have to become numb to it at some point especially in the big cities where it is a every single day occurrence.

Not making a single excuse for what happened at all. It was horrible. But when people say "he was telling them he could not breathe!" it's not as simple as that. It's like saying you should let every prisoner go if they claim they are innocent.

I'm sure parts of your job are super rewarding, but the negative press in some areas has to make it even harder to find enough officers which naturally leads to lowering the bar and that is never a good road for a super important job such as this. People say disband the cops - but they have no idea who all is living amongst them held back only by that thin blue line.

I feel for you guys - stay safe out there. Thank you for all you do out there!
scostu1619.50
      06-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #980
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Quote:

I have quite a few friends that are cops and this is 100% them too. The mental exhaustion at times. Every time I see someone cop hating - I tell them "go do a ride along". If you heard the way these people speak to cops, how they go to the same houses every single week for the same BS and go through the same motions over and over with the same offenders - it would get to anyone.

How many people have you arrested that said I can breathe when you were holding them down? How many claim the handcuff are cutting off the blood in their wrists? Etc, Etc. I've never been a cop, but you'd have to become numb to it at some point especially in the big cities where it is a every single day occurrence.

Not making a single excuse for what happened at all. It was horrible. But when people say "he was telling them he could not breathe!" it's not as simple as that. It's like saying you should let every prisoner go if they claim they are innocent.

I'm sure parts of your job are super rewarding, but the negative press in some areas has to make it even harder to find enough officers which naturally leads to lowering the bar and that is never a good road for a super important job such as this. People say disband the cops - but they have no idea who all is living amongst them held back only by that thin blue line.

I feel for you guys - stay safe out there. Thank you for all you do out there!
You bring up a great point.

I've tried to explain to people that these criminals complain every single time. It's no excuse for complacency, but having been in the same situation multiple times, I can understand the position that cop was in.

In some ways I feel like those asking for less of a police presence should get exactly that. Rather than disband or defund, departments should just simply stop patrolling and responding to calls in the areas that don't want cops and send those resources elsewhere. Let those people fend for themselves and really get a dose of lawlessness.
Appreciate 2
JTB3927.00
Murf99314114.00
      06-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #981
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You bring up a great point.

I've tried to explain to people that these criminals complain every single time. It's no excuse for complacency, but having been in the same situation multiple times, I can understand the position that cop was in.

In some ways I feel like those asking for less of a police presence should get exactly that. Rather than disband or defund, departments should just simply stop patrolling and responding to calls in the areas that don't want cops and send those resources elsewhere. Let those people fend for themselves and really get a dose of lawlessness.
I never want to think I could do what he did, but honestly I can see the small missteps that would lead you there. Could have done that to 95% of the US population and that would not have resulted in a death or even close.

I've said the same thing to them. "All cops should take a month (hell even a week) off and they will remember why they need you". I will say - every single one of them to their credit said never. They know what would happen.

You guys see the boogiemen they have no idea exist.
Murf99314114.00
      06-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #982
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

I'm sad to see so much negativity towards LEOs lately. It's hard to convince folks that the solution to prejudice towards one group of people isn't solved by applying prejudice to another. Yes, there are still race issues all over the country and I don't discount that we still have a ways to go. But the groupthink and inability to entertain conversation beyond the popular social media position is frightening.

My cars have the thin blue line stickers on the back and I'm always afraid they're going to get messed with. But we need to support our officers, not paint with a wide brush simply because of some bad apples.

Thank you guys/gals for what you do.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24809.50
vreihen1614882.00
Rmtt8206.00
Murf99314114.00
      06-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #983
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

For all of the non-blacks in this thread, please understand that most of our problems in the black community are brought about by our own actions. Don't let any black person tell you the color of their skin is holding them back (...or it's the reason why they deal with cops more often or can't maintain employment). This country is ripe with opportunity if a person puts in effort and makes good life decisions.
Appreciate 6
vreihen1614882.00
JTB3927.00
Murf99314114.00
rebekahb3128.50
M3GymNut907.50
      06-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #984
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For all of the non-blacks in this thread, please understand that most of our problems in the black community are brought about by our own actions. Don't let any black person tell you the color of their skin is holding them back (...or it's the reason why they deal with cops more often or can't maintain employment). This country is ripe with opportunity if a person puts in effort and makes good life decisions.
I do 100% agree with this for sure.

But - I also think we have programs in place that make it far too easy to pass on those opportunities - no matter your race. It is hard to inspire people to work when you incentivise them not to.

I grew up in a small mid-western town and there were lot of people who's "work" was working the system. All races have it figured out. You can't live well - but you can live.

There needs to be an incentive to work to allow that pride in standing on your own two feet to bloom and take hold. The freedoms this country provides are amazing.

I know a guy who came here in his late teens from Nigeria and now owns and operates a small gas station C store. I heard someone bemoan how he got "hand outs" to come here and have a leg up. He blasted that guy. "I did everything I could to afford to come here and once I got here with less than $250 left in my pocket I got a job, then another, and then another. I lived with a family I knew and shared a bedroom with their son when I actually got to sleep while I worked 3 jobs. I didn't buy nice shoes, or a car or expensive clothes - I saved it all till I had enough to put a down payment down and then quit ONE of my jobs while I got it going and then another until it could sustain me. No one HANDED me anything" Not only did he shut that guy up - he shut us all up. It was an amazing story and shows you what "freedom" is all about if you are willing to work for it.

I don't know how we get that pride in working back, but I'd vote funds for it if they could find a way to do it.
Rmtt8206.00
Murf99314114.00
      06-05-2020, 06:43 PM   #985
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Quote:
I do 100% agree with this for sure.

But - I also think we have programs in place that make it far too easy to pass on those opportunities - no matter your race. It is hard to inspire people to work when you incentivise them not to.

I grew up in a small mid-western town and there were lot of people who's "work" was working the system. All races have it figured out. You can't live well - but you can live.

There needs to be an incentive to work to allow that pride in standing on your own two feet to bloom and take hold. The freedoms this country provides are amazing.

I know a guy who came here in his late teens from Nigeria and now owns and operates a small gas station C store. I heard someone bemoan how he got "hand outs" to come here and have a leg up. He blasted that guy. "I did everything I could to afford to come here and once I got here with less than $250 left in my pocket I got a job, then another, and then another. I lived with a family I knew and shared a bedroom with their son when I actually got to sleep while I worked 3 jobs. I didn't buy nice shoes, or a car or expensive clothes - I saved it all till I had enough to put a down payment down and then quit ONE of my jobs while I got it going and then another until it could sustain me. No one HANDED me anything" Not only did he shut that guy up - he shut us all up. It was an amazing story and shows you what "freedom" is all about if you are willing to work for it.

I don't know how we get that pride in working back, but I'd vote funds for it if they could find a way to do it.
You will find that blacks who emigrated here do exceptionally well. They're the same color, but their mentality is worlds apart from native born blacks. The problem isn't color. The problem is attitude (...as you've stated).
Appreciate 7
vreihen1614882.00
CarPoor140.00
Murf99314114.00
scostu1619.50
Germanauto9665.50
unluky7465.00
      06-06-2020, 06:36 AM   #986
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:

As I mentioned in the other thread.....I grew up in the "ghetto". We were one of a few white people that lived there. I never had issues. We viewed it as we were poor....just like everyone else. We didn't look at color......we seen it as we all had the same lot in life.

Some could help being there.....sone couldn't. Of course you had your bad element.......but that can be anywhere. If I was walking between a group of buildings and seen a deal going down or something gang related.....I just looked away.

Plus when you live there long enough....they "accept" you as part of the neighborhood and they are fine with you.

I guess we could have ended up the other way you see most poor white people live....in a very trashy trailer park. But those areas were just as bad if not worse as their was no structure about it like the neighborhood I did live in.

I made my choice....and was never bothered by it from anyone.

And I can say that if we had people from the outside come in....and someone had some issue with me because I was white......I had more black people that I lived around that would squash that real quick as if they were protecting their own!
unluky7465.00
      06-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #987
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
With a gun, back up, and a police union fighting to protect him? He's got nothing to be afraid of. He's got more power than the majority of the population out there. Enough to get away with murder if no one around has a modern phone on them.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #988
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
I have a question. Is this what your truly believe, or is this just the way you all on the 'force' discuss people of color? I guess you have to find some way to sleep at night, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #989
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
With a gun, back up, and a police union fighting to protect him? He's got nothing to be afraid of. He's got more power than the majority of the population out there. Enough to get away with murder if no one around has a modern phone on them.
If you want to have an honest conversation, let's do so. But please stop with this nonsense. If you want people ti understand what its like to walk in your shoes, you have to do the same.
Appreciate 6
Murf99314114.00
dmatre663.00
Germanauto9665.50
Rmtt8206.00
unluky7465.00
      06-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #990
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
I have a question. Is this what your truly believe, or is this just the way you all on the 'force' discuss people of color? I guess you have to find some way to sleep at night, right?

i'm assuming you disagree with his statement.

He is absolutely right. The black community must do better, and right now, thats starts with parenting. Too many kids out there gangbanging, robbing, stealing, up to no good. How hard is it to go to school for free, andd then do something constructive with your life?
Appreciate 3
scostu1619.50
Germanauto9665.50
rebekahb3128.50