04-03-2024, 08:16 AM   #45
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhead75 View Post
So I like the look of bmw map but it is not correct half the time. I go to two or three places regularly and it always gives me three choices , none of which is the way I usually go and also the way google maps and Apple Maps tell me. Further distance and longer times . Makes no sense. I mentioned it at the dealer and they told me bmw is not in the map business so basically live with it.
I would like to use bmw map but it just doesn’t cut it. Thank goodness bmw accepts Apple Maps and has the hud working but it’s not the best look. Sadly googlemaps doesn’t give me hud. Yeah I know I have an iphone
I don't think your dealer had any interesting in helping you. My experience is just the opposite from yours. Are you on iDrive 7 or 8? There are many options that you need to set up in maps and some of these will determine the route it takes you on. RTTI with dynamic guidance, if you have this enabled, will make the route decisions in real time.

Example: I have mine set for RTTI and fastest route/avoid tolls. I've noticed that if I leave from the same place and go to the same place but do it at different times of the day/night, it will change the routing and that is because its taking into consideration things like traffic conditions, time of day (rush hour traffic), traffic incidents/accidents, etc. because its using RTTI (real time traffic information) with dynamic guidance activated.

Once it has set the route and if you are using RTTI, if you look to the top of the LCD panel above the map you will see the RTTI symbol and if it is in red it means there is a traffic incident on your route. If you look at the map of your route it will show where the incident is and its estimated delay time in minutes. If you decide to change routes manually, the RTTI icon may not light anymore because you decided not to go that way but that doesn't mean the traffic incident is not there anymore.

So if the nav picks a route and its not the way you would have chosen, it could be due to a traffic situation on the route that maybe you would have chosen but of course it doesn't tell you that because it didn't end up picking that route. You could experiment with this by going into the settings and removing all the options and turning off RTTI (if you have it on) and testing it over a few days.

Here is a video on RTTI

Appreciate 1
      04-03-2024, 09:31 AM   #46
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I just drove 200 miles each way to Washington DC last weekend. while I prefer and use Google Maps more often, the BMW Navi was more accurate with the road topography on the way up and adjusting for traffic conditions (iDrive 7, maps automatically updated a few weeks ago)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:41 AM   #47
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I have found two areas in the Denver metro that the BMW Nav will constantly screw up and I just ignore it b/c I know the area.
I can imagine how frustrating it would be if I were in an area I didn't know.
I haven't seen an issue outside of those two areas.
The first is in my neighborhood. It never gives me the shortest path to the main road from my house. Even though I take it every time, the map hasn't learned the route.
The second is coming from 470 on to I-70 on the west side. It always wants me to go into Golden rather than taking the direct ramp from 470 to 70. Very odd.

And then there are times that I try to search for something (such as the fields my son's soccer games are held on) and it can't find the location.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 04:49 PM   #48
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

BMW maps also contain terrain information such as grades, and depending on where you have your options set, might take a longer route that ‘should’ be more efficient. You have multiple choices on how it selects the route which includes among other things:
- shortest
- fastest
- most economical (more related to PHEV use)
- avoid toll roads
- etc.

So, check your preferences, you might be surprised.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 06:10 PM   #49
MADBMWX5MC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Hmm, never used the OEM Navi, I am a Waze'r...but may try to use OEM next time.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 08:26 AM   #50
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

In unfamiliar areas I no longer trust the native map unless I verify the route with google first. I do like its knowledge of terrain and such for use with adaptive hybrid, but too many times it's tried to send me onto a side road because the road ahead was "closed" (it wasn't).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 09:02 AM   #51
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
So, why do you guys prefer OE navi vs Waze, or even G maps, etc ?
I have been using BMW Nav since the CIC days. I prefer it to G-Maps, Waze, etc. What I do is have Waze in the background to announce and I check occasionally for any rerouting, but generally speaking the BMW nav is pretty good with with accuracy and rerouting. I have driven with them in may congested areas and across many states. The ID7 nav is much better than the CIC one and I generally use it over anything else, but again I do have Waze in the background for any special information.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2024, 01:44 AM   #52
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 30d M-Sport

I'm currently having a fight with BMW over the maps. I paid for the updates in August 2023. Once installed, it started screwing up the destinations. Eg: I'll say, "I want to go to XX William Street, Henley", the CORRECT address appears in a list, I select it, but the guidance system starts navigating me to "XX William Street, The Oaks" which is about 80km away from the correct destination. Coupled with that, my iDrive updates never install. They download to the phone and on to the car. Then, for months I have a message saying the download is complete and I'll be informed when the update can be installed. But I never get informed. I end up having to leave the car overnight with the dealer.

I've owned BMWs since 2000. We have 2 in the garage right now. These are the last two I'll ever own. I'm done with this rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 10:35 AM   #53
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel1500 View Post
I'm currently having a fight with BMW over the maps. I paid for the updates in August 2023. Once installed, it started screwing up the destinations. Eg: I'll say, "I want to go to XX William Street, Henley", the CORRECT address appears in a list, I select it, but the guidance system starts navigating me to "XX William Street, The Oaks" which is about 80km away from the correct destination. Coupled with that, my iDrive updates never install. They download to the phone and on to the car. Then, for months I have a message saying the download is complete and I'll be informed when the update can be installed. But I never get informed. I end up having to leave the car overnight with the dealer.

I've owned BMWs since 2000. We have 2 in the garage right now. These are the last two I'll ever own. I'm done with this rubbish.
I can certainly understand where you're coming from. They did a very poor execution in both the way map zones and updates are done and a much worse job with iDrive updates. This stuff seems to work well for some, just ok for others and downright nasty for some. It really puts a damper on the overall ownership experience, especially for those who are not 'techy' and don't understand the nuances of software updates. BMW really blew it in this regard. Good thing the physics and mechanics of the X5 are still true blue BMW, otherwise it would be a total disaster.

You need to continue your battle with BMW as they need to figure out what's wrong and then make it right. Just hope its not operator error
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 10:45 AM   #54
crabman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
I have been using BMW Nav since the CIC days. I prefer it to G-Maps, Waze, etc. What I do is have Waze in the background to announce and I check occasionally for any rerouting, but generally speaking the BMW nav is pretty with with accuracy and rerouting. I have driven with them in may congested areas and across many states. The ID7 nav is much better than the CIC one and I generally use it over anything else, but again I do have Waze in the background for any special information.
How do you do that? When I have a destination in Waze or Goog the idrive nav tells me there is an active destination in app X and doesn't let me put one in. I'm ID8.5
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 10:57 AM   #55
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

For me, sometimes BMW maps doesn't agree with Google on the route, but is mostly accurate. Sometimes it seems to take a slightly longer more congested route and I still get the make a U-turn .5 miles down from the destination instead of just turning at the nearest light. In BMWs defense, Google has taken me through some very bad areas, whereas BMW has managed to not do this. I use both bmw/yelp and Google maps. The speed trap notification on Google is handy, when people identify them, which is near impossible to do while driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 07:20 PM   #56
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
How do you do that? When I have a destination in Waze or Goog the idrive nav tells me there is an active destination in app X and doesn't let me put one in. I'm ID8.5
I simply connect Car-Play and run Waze in the background. I have been using that for years! I use the BMW nav for my actual directions. I did not try that with ID8 in th LCI loaner I had so I am not sure if that would work. I am on ID7.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 09:23 PM   #57
crabman
Major
Rep

If I'm connected with android auto and run a nav program in either goog or waze it will not allow me to navigate on the idrive nav and directs me to open up the nav already open in android auto. Doesn't matter if it's in the background.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 09:49 PM   #58
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
If I'm connected with android auto and run a nav program in either goog or waze it will not allow me to navigate on the idrive nav and directs me to open up the nav already open in android auto. Doesn't matter if it's in the background.
I think he is using it like I have for years. I'm using iDrive for navigation and just have Waze open for traffic alerts not with a route active.
crabman308.00
      04-06-2024, 01:49 AM   #59
crabman
Major
Rep

Ah, I see, sorry for the confusion, and thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 09:26 AM   #60
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
I have found two areas in the Denver metro that the BMW Nav will constantly screw up and I just ignore it b/c I know the area.
I can imagine how frustrating it would be if I were in an area I didn't know.
I haven't seen an issue outside of those two areas.
The first is in my neighborhood. It never gives me the shortest path to the main road from my house. Even though I take it every time, the map hasn't learned the route.
The second is coming from 470 on to I-70 on the west side. It always wants me to go into Golden rather than taking the direct ramp from 470 to 70. Very odd.

And then there are times that I try to search for something (such as the fields my son's soccer games are held on) and it can't find the location.
I have had my BMW nav on when going from C-470 to I-70 many times and have never had your issue. Very strange. I do turn on the nav when I'm going to some known destinations just for the timing, but don't really need the directions and going to some places it will direct me to take some strange turns in the wrong direction every time. This is why I never really trust any nav directions.
Appreciate 0