12-09-2023, 08:46 AM   #1
Nikita44
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 & '23 C8 Z06

low rpm/gear/speed growl

2022 x5 40 xdrive msport ~ 10,100 miles (NY/NJ area) no codes

For the last 3 weeks or so, on morning startup and for about 30 minute drive to work, my x5 has developed what i can best describe as a growl that sounds similar to the sound a car makes when the engine is being lugged or a leak is developing somewhere in the exhaust path. it's more audible at low speed, say under 30mph, and it looks like it's in 4th to 6th gear (which i would think is too high of a gear for that speed). Prior to 3 weeks ago, it wasn't growling like it is now.

That being said, it is an msport and just hit 10,000 miles, could it just be that the engine, drive train and/or exhaust is broken in more and this is normal? Could it be that Costco has switched to "winter blend gas" (if that's still a thing)? Tranny about to go? turbo about to go? leak in the exhaust path somewhere?

I know if i take it in to service they're going to say "no codes no problem", so trying to not waste my time there if i can avoid it.