Sequence001
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 & 2024 i5

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [10.00]
Spilled Coffee on floor

I have a 2019 G05 MSport (Still under warranty) and last week my wife decided to be careless and rest her Large Starbucks cup on the center console while getting out of the car. So of course it spills all over the floor of the drivers side and I (on speaker phone) immediately tell her to grab the rags in the trunk and soak up as much as she can. I raced over to her location and removed the floor mats and soaked up what I could.
Of course the next day, the vile smell of Old Milk
Wreaked in the car..
I Bought a Bissell Vacc..mixed Antibacterial solution and tried to clean it up. Then Used baking soda. It helped. But still smells.
Vaccumed it again.. it helped a little more.

Now it seems like the smell is shifting to the rear but dissipates once the doors are open for 10 seconds. Then you don't smell it anymore.
Called Dealer for carpet replacement options, I was quoted $1600+ and parts had to be ordered and shipped from Germany which would take a few weeks.

My question is this: Is there a way I can resolve this myself? I can't find any source of how to pull the floor up in this particular car. Thoughts/ Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #2
Fifthtoe
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

This is going to be a lot of work if you want to remove the carpet yourself. You'll have to remove front seat and any trim associated with front seat, remove center console and associated trim, remove side sill trim, footwell trim, remove accelerator pedal and associated trim, remove airbag control unit and remove bass speaker under seat. After that, you will have to cut out the carpet around the top right corner of the console area and then you can finally remove the carpet. This is probably why they quoted $1600+, that's a lot of work.

If you're not confident to remove it yourself, I would probably just remove the seat, floor speaker and start steam vacuuming the crap out of it.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2022, 02:55 PM   #3
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Try a professional detail place first, it would be worth the money. You probably have liquid under the carpet and it is quite difficult to get out but they will have the tools. This is why water should be the only drink if any in the car, too many crevices, nooks, and crannies inviting liquid into the car.
      04-11-2023, 12:05 AM   #4
Haupia
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Stelvio, 2023 X5

Carpet cleaning solutions

Bummer that the coffee had milk in it, being loaded with natural bacteria that will keep coming back, especially with damp weather.
You need to find an "enzymatic" cleaner designed to go after the bacteria.
Make sure you test the cleaner you select on the carpet in an inconspicuous spot to test for colorfastness.

Enzymatic cleaners are amazing at getting to bacteria.
Worth a try before changing carpet.
Appreciate 0