01-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Dealer damage on new delivery M50i.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Dealer scratched the side of my new undelivered M50i with another car's door. It's a one inch plus deep scratch. They told me that they would have the body shop repair it. It would require an over spray onto the fender and the rear door.

I'm trying to be reasonable about this understanding that sh!t happens, but in the same time I still feel disappointed.

The delivery is currently on hold waiting repair. If the door is repaired to my satisfaction, should I still be asking the dealer for any type of accommodation?

Car is custom ordered and costs almost $99K. It is a lease, which I was planning to possibly buy out later depending on how well the car held up.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

you should reject delivery and ask for a new one. I don't see how you pay for a brand new car but get one with scratched painted doors and fender? Ridiculous! IMO if you are too eager and cannot wait for a replacement car, you should negotiate a beefy additional discount due to this.

Last edited by mattsrs; 01-17-2020 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

First off great attitude towards it. In today society its cancel culture and being understanding people make mistakes is a right step in a better culture. Honestly if they fix it and record it so its on record (since a lease) and you cannot tell why ask for more? Unless the damage will de-value the vehicle then no but by all means if it causes the value of the vehicle to drop then ask for the drop or order a new. At this point it will be fixed, the key word fixed..... Just my thought.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41904.00
2011zx10R427.00
      01-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

So think about lease maturity date. Do you trust the store to a accept the repaint. Is this a certified bmw collision center.

This dealer ja going to give you lip service that the repair will be perfect blah blah blah.

What if you decide to turn in the lease at a different store.

I think you can accept the car with a substantial discount wit the understanding you won't keep it .
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #5
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

I am not sure if they are required to document it since it was before it was titled. Some other members have stated that there was an issue that was discovered at the performance center delivery and it was fixed on site. Not sure if this falls under the same umbrella. What is to stop them from fixing minor scratches or door dings that happen when they have cars sitting on the lot for six months?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Leasing it I could live with a proper BMW repair.
Owning it, no way and would want a virgin vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #7
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys. My thought process was this, the dealer could have just fixed it without telling me. I'm sure that many cars get touched up on the lots without buyers ever knowing. So I'm trying to reward the dealer's honesty, but they could have simply not had time to fix it also. That said, situation still sucks a little.

First, I think I really have to decide whether or not I will be keeping the car after the lease. Then, find out if this fix will be held against me at the time of the lease return.

I also have a custom M550i on order with this dealer, so still wondering if there's anything to be had for this aggravation... grand or two off? More discount on my M550i? A steal deal on an M5 they have sitting on the lot LOL?
Appreciate 1
Tejael64.00
      01-17-2020, 07:06 PM   #8
bluzbra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i / '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB View Post
Thanks guys. My thought process was this, the dealer could have just fixed it without telling me. I'm sure that many cars get touched up on the lots without buyers ever knowing. So I'm trying to reward the dealer's honesty, but they could have simply not had time to fix it also. That said, situation still sucks a little.

First, I think I really have to decide whether or not I will be keeping the car after the lease. Then, find out if this fix will be held against me at the time of the lease return.

I also have a custom M550i on order with this dealer, so still wondering if there's anything to be had for this aggravation... grand or two off? More discount on my M550i? A steal deal on an M5 they have sitting on the lot LOL?
Decisions, decisions. I personally would be upset and would either ask for a new order or would renegotiate the deal since you haven't signed for it yet. The alternative for them of course is that they now have to sell a $99k car to someone else and disclose to whoever they sell it to that the car has been repaired due to damage. That car will sit on their lot for a while. They should just keep their current customer happy and knock off a $1,000 or so from your deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #9
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

You're exactly right, some cars have the same issue fixed at the port and you'd never know. It's why I tend to smirk a bit at all these posts about wanting a perfect car that not one has driven when ordering a car. I used to feel that way, don't get me wrong, but every car is tested (driven) and any car could have had minor repairs at the port they may not even ever know about... just not a perfect world.

That said, you now are left disappointed, we all would be, and it's delaying your delivery, so absolutely would be the right thing for them to take a little money off or give you some other compensation for the disruption and disappointment. And yes, of course make sure there is no evidence of this when it's repaired. Perfect doesn't exist, but it should LOOK that way on delivery day!
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2020, 07:39 PM   #10
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

You sound like a pretty stand up guy for being so understanding and reasonable. Kind of lacking in today's world so gotta give out some props whenever I see it!

I really don't think it'd be out of line to get a little more off or maybe some accessories for your time and the fact you're being cool about it. But what comes to mind is Carfax. Might not be a bad idea to make sure their collision center doesn't report to Carfax. I'd hate to see you trying to trade in the lease early and have their mistake come back to bite you.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:11 PM   #11
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Dealer scratched the side of my new undelivered M50i with another car's door. It's a one inch plus deep scratch. They told me that they would have the body shop repair it. It would require an over spray onto the fender and the rear door.

I'm trying to be reasonable about this understanding that sh!t happens, but in the same time I still feel disappointed.

The delivery is currently on hold waiting repair. If the door is repaired to my satisfaction, should I still be asking the dealer for any type of accommodation?

Car is custom ordered and costs almost $99K. It is a lease, which I was planning to possibly buy out later depending on how well the car held up.
Boy, this is such a tough one. I would personally want the brand new vehicle I paid for, but I totally understand different perspectives. The wait for another new vehicle to be allocated and delivered is something you would have to evaluate for your needs. It would be also critical to make sure if you do accept the repair that it did not show up on the carfax.

Either way, I hope you find a fair resolution. I know this is probably not the buying experience you hoped for.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:25 PM   #12
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Think about it this way... if the same thing happened at the factory or at the port they would just fix it and you would never know the difference.

Good body shop should be able to blend the paint almost perfect
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:59 PM   #13
videoman535i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2008 335i

My sister experienced a very similar problem with a new 2019 X3. The deal was done and the CA was pulling the car out of a very tight spot and she rubbed the driver's rear door against another car, putting a wrinkle in the panel below the cut line. The CA said it wasn't serious and would be easily fixed (no painting required). The dealer would deliver the car to her house in a couple of days.

My sister asked that I be there for the delivery and I could see the wrinkle as soon as I pulled up. I didn't see the original damage, but the way my sister described it, some metal work was going to be necessary. I think all they did was buff it and maybe bring in the dent-pro guy. A couple of scratches remained along with a ripple that you could easily see and feel.

I advised her to send it back, to at least get it repaired properly, if not canceling the deal all together. The dealer agreed to take it back (100 mile trip) for repairs, but couldn't come up with any ideas about compensation so my sister canceled the deal.

I feel it was rather shady for them to bring the car down as it was and hope she didn't notice. This was about 3 weeks ago and I see that the car is back on their lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:11 AM   #14
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
You're exactly right, some cars have the same issue fixed at the port and you'd never know. It's why I tend to smirk a bit at all these posts about wanting a perfect car that not one has driven when ordering a car. I used to feel that way, don't get me wrong, but every car is tested (driven) and any car could have had minor repairs at the port they may not even ever know about... just not a perfect world.

That said, you now are left disappointed, we all would be, and it's delaying your delivery, so absolutely would be the right thing for them to take a little money off or give you some other compensation for the disruption and disappointment. And yes, of course make sure there is no evidence of this when it's repaired. Perfect doesn't exist, but it should LOOK that way on delivery day!
Good reasoning. Agree with all points presented.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #15
imyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D

I had an issue with my car when I took delivery, it took BMW two months to install the missing part however as I purchased the car directly through BMW on a PCP I was able to escalate the issue within BMW itself as I wasn't happy with the managers (we will fix it attitude) and managed to get one month of free rental. That made a huge difference to my overall monthly rental figure over 48 months.
I would at a minimum have BMW/dealer knock something off the cost of the vehicle, don't agree to credit which can only be spent at the dealership which seems to be the first thing they offer, ask for a cash discount or one month(s) free rental.
      01-18-2020, 07:01 AM   #16
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

If they have to spray something you will see it. I had a door repaired and sprayed on a black X6. Good job, I didn't see a difference but if the car is standing in sun light the sprayed door pops out. It has a completely different shine than the rest of the car.
I can live with that when I used the car and after a repair, but on brand new car. I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:57 AM   #17
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
If they have to spray something you will see it. I had a door repaired and sprayed on a black X6. Good job, I didn't see a difference but if the car is standing in sun light the sprayed door pops out. It has a completely different shine than the rest of the car.
I can live with that when I used the car and after a repair, but on brand new car. I don't know.
Car is Mineral White, so hopefully shouldn't be noticeable. I will make sure that before the pickup, I will analyze it in the late afternoon with sun reflecting of the repaired side. If I can notice the over spray, then I will probably reject, if not, then probably accept.
Appreciate 1
Tejael64.00
      01-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #18
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Car is Mineral White, so hopefully shouldn't be noticeable. I will make sure that before the pickup, I will analyze it in the late afternoon with sun reflecting of the repaired side. If I can notice the over spray, then I will probably reject, if not, then probably accept.
Not mineral white, ugh. I wish you would have mentioned it was mineral white in the beginning. Mineral white is a tri coat paint and THE hardest to match/blend. It’s because it has so much metallic pearl coat in it. At this point you might as well ride it out and see what they can do with the repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #19
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Get a high intensity LED light. Shine it along the door, not directly at it. It will do wonders for finding little dings, scratches and other imperfections. And you won't be depending on having good sunlight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #20
Nopeecme1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 XDrive40i

Similar But Different Circumstance

In early December, I put a pre-purchase hold on a 2019 X5 from dealer inventory. When I went to inspect the vehicle, I noticed some road rash on the front bumper assembly (extending across the entire front of the vehicle) while the rest of the car was perfect. The dealer said that (to satisfy a customer complaint) they had swapped the bumper assembly with a matching vehicle because the other vehicle assembly was missing two sensor holes necessary for the parking assistant to function. A replacement assembly with the proper number of sensor holes was on order and would be painted to match and installed in a week. Meanwhile I would see a screen message indicating the PA system inoperable.

With this explanation, I proceeded to complete the vehicle purchase. Now that the assembly has been installed, there is a visible difference between the factory Dark Graphite Metallic paint color, and the dealer coated assembly. It's primarily with the density of the metallic particles which causes the color to reflect differently. Is it reasonable to ask the dealer to order a factory painted replacement assembly, and is it even possible to get a factory paint job on a replacement part?
Appreciate 1
Nubs6111.00
      01-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #21
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I asked the same question in the BMW body shop when my car was in for a repair. They said they get BMW parts in primer and they have to spray in the needed color. BMW does not have replacement body parts in every color from factory. That makes sense from a logistical and economical viewpoint.
So replacement parts are sprayed by hand in the shop and not by robots in factory. My guess is you, or a trained eye, will always see that.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #22
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
Get a high intensity LED light. Shine it along the door, not directly at it. It will do wonders for finding little dings, scratches and other imperfections. And you won't be depending on having good sunlight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a crazy black light LED flashlight to look for scorpions (I live in the desert), will that work as well?
Appreciate 0