BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
weiyin
Rep
Drives: X5 2019

Battery Tenders and Chargers

I am driving my new 2019 X5 every 2-3 weeks, as I almost only use it for long road trips. It seems like with all of the advanced connected features, the battery will drain in about a month or so if not driven, at least that's what the manual says.

I have looked into battery tenders to prevent the battery from draining when parked in my garage, but can't make sense of it all. Does the G05 have an AGM battery, or regular lead acid, or lithium? What is the difference between all of the options from Battery Tender and CTEK? What should I be looking for if I just want something that can can maintain (or even slowly charge) the car's battery?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiyin View Post
I am driving my new 2019 X5 every 2-3 weeks, as I almost only use it for long road trips. It seems like with all of the advanced connected features, the battery will drain in about a month or so if not driven, at least that's what the manual says.

I have looked into battery tenders to prevent the battery from draining when parked in my garage, but can't make sense of it all. Does the G05 have an AGM battery, or regular lead acid, or lithium? What is the difference between all of the options from Battery Tender and CTEK? What should I be looking for if I just want something that can can maintain (or even slowly charge) the car's battery?
G05 uses two batteries.... One in the trunk and one in the engine compartment. Depending on your features, the engine compartment Aux battery is either AGM or Lithium.

From the training manual:

• AGM starter battery in the luggage compartment with 90 Ah or 105 Ah
• Auxiliary AGM battery in the engine compartment with 60 Ah
OR
• Lithium ion auxiliary battery in the engine compartment with 10 Ah

An auxiliary battery in the engine compartment is used to provide assistance for the vehicle electrical system. On vehicles with electric active roll stabilization, the two anti-roll bar actuators are also supplied with power by this battery.

The dual storage system is used in vehicles without active roll stabilization; a 10 Ah lithium ion battery is installed parallel to the AGM battery.

You would want to hook the tender up to the battery connect points in the engine compartment. There is a red cap covered post for positive and and good ground point will work for the negative point - I believe the owners manual identifies a good grounding point.
Appreciate 3
ted99242.00
volodp199.50
Cooltones241.00
      01-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-corns View Post
I don't drive my X5 daily and sometimes it sits in the garage for several weeks.
Last fall, I had a low battery warning, so I think it would be a good idea to get either a Battery Tender or Trickle charger.

Please recommend me what you guys are using. Thanks in Advanced.
BMW makes a nice one - you can probably find cheaper but here is a link to the charger on Amazon.

I have an older model BMW charger and it works nicely. I'm sure the older and current versions of BMW's chargers are just rebadged chargers made by someone else.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I have been using this Battery Tender Jr on all my rides. It’s been on the BMW for 2 weeks now and keeps it maintained just fine. It’s a smart charger so it doesn’t matter what battery you have. Just pop the hood, clamp to the jump indicator locations, lightly close hood down so it barely open. Your done. I use them on all my equipment in the barn including as well as Kubotas, Harley, ATV’s, Power Wagon, Porsche 911 C4S, etc...
It’s a quality over achiever. I have one on my Harley that has ran non stop for over 20 years strait and still works great. They initially were $45 way back then but now they are only $20. Stupid cheap for what it does.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...1-4&ref=sr_1_4

For the BMW I also use the 25’ cord extender. For a semi custom garage setup.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...T5M1HC8XKY5JG6

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-16-2019 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 4
lumpydog690.50
Paladin15557.50
Cooltones241.00
      01-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
ven7782
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i, 2017 Q7 prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I have been using this Battery Tender Jr on all my rides. It’s been on the BMW for 2 weeks now and keeps it maintained just fine. It’s a smart charger so it doesn’t matter what battery you have. Just pop the hood, clamp to the jump indicator locations, lightly close hood down so it barely open. Your done. I use them on all my equipment in the barn including as well as Kubotas, Harley, ATV’s, Power Wagon, Porsche 911 C4S, etc...
It’s a quality over achiever. I have one on my Harley that has ran non stop for over 20 years strait and still works great. They initially were $45 way back then but now they are only $20. Stupid cheap for what it does.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...1-4&ref=sr_1_4

For the BMW I also use the 25’ cord extender. For a semi custom garage setup.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...T5M1HC8XKY5JG6
Any idea how is this one different from what you have posted?
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...y+tender&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ven7782 View Post
Any idea how is this one different from what you have posted?
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...y+tender&psc=1
Yea, that one is designed for wetter environments. The one I use has the brain attached to the plug in one unit. Keeps cost down and also keeps the brain up off the floor. That one you are looking at has the brain farther down the cord.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
BGT3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550ix

For AGM batteries I believe you need a charger that charges at a lower and slower rate. A regular charger will work but I don't think it will fully charge an AGM battery and an AGM charger with a temp. sensor will change the charge rate depending on the ambient temp.
I use a Battery Minder AGM charger for long term (5 month) winter car storage but there are many AGM specific charger companies. Don't just buy the cheapest charger you can find.
Porsche 993 C2 Cab.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
weiyin
Rep
Drives: X5 2019

I decided to get the CTEK MXS 5.0: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD44RQO

It seems decently capable and idiot-proof. Plus it looks like the BMW 4.3 Battery Charger (https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...ATTERY-CHARGER, part number 61432408594) is simply a rebranded CTEK MUS 4.3 (https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-864-A.../dp/B006G14FK8)

Will report back how well it works, or at least that it doesn't cause anything to explode
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      01-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

I have the CTEK. It's the OEM one for Porsche and BMW with the appropriate label for the car on the case of the charger (really a "tender") and 2X as expensive with the BMW label. Look for it on e-Bay. Used my Porsche occasionally and the battery would run down This fixed the problem. My 2015 528i, with it's system designed to only charge the battery on motor overrun (gas saver apparently) would let the battery run down if you only did in-town driving. I recall that BMW replaced the 12v battery as a matter of course at the second annual service because the constant under charge ruined the battery. This has been fixed for later years.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #10
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Here is a Battery Tender for AGM and all batteries.
I may buy this just for the BMW just to check it out.

$64.00
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...1-7&ref=sr_1_7

UPDATE: Just called Battery Tender Tech and the Battery Tender Jr will work with AGM. It’s only $020 at Amazon. It will keep up with parasitic loss from the vehicle. That said, the 4amp one listed above with do everything 3 times as fast and is pretty much perfect if you let your doors open and play the stereo for a long time. It will charge up, top, off and float the most efficiently. For $65 it’s a bargain.

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-16-2019 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #11
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It will keep up with parasitic loss from the vehicle.
Of all the vehicles I've owned, this X5 would seem to be most susceptible to parasitic draw... It loves to run electronics up early/often and keep them on (headlights too) longer than most vehicles.

I was really interested to find that there were two batteries in the 2019 X5 - but not surprised. There is so much power draw with all the electronics. The training guide reports that ARS (Active Roll Stabilization) requires a larger AGM-based battery in the engine bay, vs the Lithium Ion one that comes as default.

I wonder if both batteries are recharged via the alternator... OR if the Aux battery is recharged via regenerative coasting/braking. When I coast or brake - you can see, on the MPG readout in the instrument cluster, there is a battery receiving charge (blue band).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
wonder if both batteries are recharged via the alternator... OR if the Aux battery is recharged via regenerative coasting/braking. When I coast or brake - you can see, on the MPG readout in the instrument cluster, there is a battery receiving charge (blue band).
I believe the X5 uses Brake Energy Regeneration.

https://www.autobytel.com/car-owners...ration-123423/
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I believe the X5 uses Brake Energy Regeneration.

https://www.autobytel.com/car-owners...ration-123423/
Good find, thanks for sharing. I knew this system was in use in the X5... Was trying to determine, to what extent it was applied to one battery vs the other. Best guess - both batteries are charged alternately via the alternator and regenerative charging depending on acceleration, speed, braking, coasting, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #14
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Here is a Battery Tender for AGM and all batteries.
I may buy this just for the BMW just to check it out.

$64.00
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...#38;ref=sr_1_7

UPDATE: Just called Battery Tender Tech and the Battery Tender Jr will work with AGM. It's only $020 at Amazon. It will keep up with parasitic loss from the vehicle. That said, the 4amp one listed above with do everything 3 times as fast and is pretty much perfect if you let your doors open and play the stereo for a long time. It will charge up, top, off and float the most efficiently. For $65 it's a bargain.
So I've been dealing with the battery management error screen. My wife mostly does in town driving and according to the dealership she averages 57 miles per week according to the key read. I can charge the battery fully and a week later the battery is at 50-60% of capacity. My wife drove her previous F15 X5D less than 57 miles per week and never had any of these issues.

I went with the NOCO genius 7.2 amp for faster charging wired into the points where you jump start from. Had to remove the rear strut tower brace on the passenger side of the car so I could remove the plastic cap that covers where the cables mount from the rear of the car. Pulled all the engine bay trim pieces out on the passenger side of the engine bay and then routed the 10ft extension to the tow hook cover on the passenger side of the car. It's a little tight to fish the wires down to the tow hook, but it can be done. I just reached up into the tow hook cavity and put the foam in a little with my fingers to make room for the plug at the end of the wires.

My question is if it has a Li Ion battery as well as an AGM battery, do I put it into Li Ion mode on the charger since it's a lower voltage than the AGM?
Attached Images

12-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #15
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

I like the battery tender plus, It has 1.25 amp vs 750ma in the junior. Already have a new one on hand when my M50i arrives.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #16
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
With all the high tech gadgets, the X5 does seem to deplete the battery faster (based on charging time) than other cars I've owned, including previous BMWs. I use the BMW charger, pricey but a modest investment compared to other accessories, and certainly one that gets used. I notice the new tender has a Li Ion setting as well, although I just set it to Auto once a week and let it go. Generally takes 6-12 hours for a top up.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #17
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

My X5 often sits for days or even weeks without a tender and starts up just fine every time. I have worried about the battery draining but haven't had problems so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #18
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
My X5 often sits for days or even weeks without a tender and starts up just fine every time. I have worried about the battery draining but haven't had problems so far.
It will take its toll over time on your battery. I have alot of play vehicles that sit and have learned 15 years ago I can make a battery last 4x longer in years by using a tender all the time than letting them discharge over and over again. From boats,Harley's, atv's, tractors, cars, etc.. I dont replace batteries hardly ever now.
The parasitic loss on these modern BMW's and their sensitivity to power just makes them far more susceptible to battery issues. Every BMW in my dealers showroom is on a tender. That should tell you alot.

This one is on both my new BMW's and its strong enough to charge the batteries after extended times the doors/radio is open.

Battery Tender 022-0209-DL-WH 4Amp Selectable Charger is an AGM/Standard or GEL/Lithium Iron Switchable, 12v or 6v Switchable at 4a, Includes Rings & Clips. It Will Never Over Charge Your Battery

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by MystroX5; 12-17-2019 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #19
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Quote:
It will take its toll over time on your battery. I have alot of play vehicles that sit and have learned 15 years ago I can make a battery last 4x longer in years by using a tender all the time than letting them discharge over and over again. From boats,Harley's, atv's, tractors, cars, etc.. I dont replace batteries hardly ever now.
The parasitic loss on these modern BMW's and their sensitivity to power just makes them far more susceptible to battery issues. Every BMW in my dealers showroom is on a tender. That should tell you alot.

This one is on both my new BMW's and its strong enough to charge the batteries after extended times the doors/radio is open.

Battery Tender 022-0209-DL-WH 4Amp Selectable Charger is an AGM/Standard or GEL/Lithium Iron Switchable, 12v or 6v Switchable at 4a, Includes Rings & Clips. It Will Never Over Charge Your Battery

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1
Do you select for AGM or Li Ion ?
      12-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #20
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Do you select for AGM or Li Ion ?
AGM
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #21
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:

You are probably right about longevity. But one thing that makes me feel better is that the X5 will still kill the engine at stop signs and stop lights even though I rarely drive it. My understanding is that the ASS won't activate if the battery's charge is below a certain level.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 05:51 PM   #22
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
With a 5 week long period of inactivity coming up for my '19 X5 40i, I've been reading up on these various posts regarding trickle chargers and do wonder if it's going to be necessary.

While some have reported actual or a concern for potential issues in this regard, I wonder if these aren't atypical. My '14 X5D was inactive for 6 weeks on one occasion and there were no issues.

The '19 X5 puts a greater demand on available electrical power, but then it also has greater battery capacity than the previous generation X5. One of the unknowns in this regard is the parasitic current draw when the vehicle is off, with what appears to be a greater amount of network connection activity, including when the vehicle is off. How much this amounts to, relative to the battery capacity, I don't know.

Would be helpful if others who have left their G05 inactive for a few weeks could chime in so we could have a better idea of whether a charger is needed during periods of this duration.

The situation I'm wondering about is different than a regular use that provides insufficient running time to keep the batteries charged, rather, I'm talking about the situation where the batteries are fully charged (or nearly so) and then the vehicle is parked for, say, 4-6 weeks.
Appreciate 0