BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-03-2023, 10:31 PM   #1
weastwood
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Phone connection

Ok.. So I thought I had this figured out but apparently not. Trying to understand why it is that when both my wife and I are in the car, i am driving and enter on the drivers side, my profile connects to her phone. I have it set up to recognize my phone and I am the only one with the key on my phone.

We previously deleted each others phones from our profiles, but not it looks like their both back up.

Trying to figure it out how to only connect the right phone to the right profile. I looked in the manual and noticed the order priority to recognize who is who and what to connect to. But that doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone have same issue or an easy fix (if there is one)? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 07:20 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by weastwood View Post
Ok.. So I thought I had this figured out but apparently not. Trying to understand why it is that when both my wife and I are in the car, i am driving and enter on the drivers side, my profile connects to her phone. I have it set up to recognize my phone and I am the only one with the key on my phone.

We previously deleted each others phones from our profiles, but not it looks like their both back up.

Trying to figure it out how to only connect the right phone to the right profile. I looked in the manual and noticed the order priority to recognize who is who and what to connect to. But that doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone have same issue or an easy fix (if there is one)? Thanks!
phones aren’t synced or linked to driver profiles. the vehicle connects to whoever’s phone it ‘sees’ first, so if your wife entered the vehicle first with phone in-hand, it’ll connect to hers. that said, I’ve found that phone priority setting more often doesn’t work as intended.

please clarify some things:
- are you using the Digital Key+ on your phone only?
- do you or your wife have the key fob(s) inside the cabin?

whether using the Digital Key+ on your phone or the physical key fob, those are synced with your driver profile (if you set it that way) but not the phone connection (CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 09:35 AM   #3
weastwood
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
phones aren’t synced or linked to driver profiles. the vehicle connects to whoever’s phone it ‘sees’ first, so if your wife entered the vehicle first with phone in-hand, it’ll connect to hers. that said, I’ve found that phone priority setting more often doesn’t work as intended.

please clarify some things:
- are you using the Digital Key+ on your phone only?
- do you or your wife have the key fob(s) inside the cabin?

whether using the Digital Key+ on your phone or the physical key fob, those are synced with your driver profile (if you set it that way) but not the phone connection (CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth)
-I am using the digital key on my phone only.
-Sometimes my wife is carrying her key with with her. So the priority method makes sense if she is opening and getting into the car first.

Gets a little frustrating sometimes having to constantly switch between the two if we're both in the car. I figured they could have done something with the profiles to only link the assigned key(and phone). Would have made things a little simpler. I could be pulling hairs at this point..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 10:08 AM   #4
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

My Android phone has to reconnect to the car every time, no matter whose profile was recognized. If the phone is on and bluetooth is active, the connection happens automatically (usually). It never recognizes my wife's phone because it has never been set up.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 10:26 AM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by weastwood View Post

Gets a little frustrating sometimes having to constantly switch between the two if we're both in the car. I figured they could have done something with the profiles to only link the assigned key(and phone). Would have made things a little simpler. I could be pulling hairs at this point..
agree with you there.

my wife’s iPhone has been set up as well for when she takes my car occasionally. on road trips, she has her key fob with her and I’m always the last to get in the vehicle, so not only is her phone connected to the vehicle, her driver profile is loaded. one way to mitigate these is to place my key fob and phone in the vehicle as I’m loading it before anyone gets in. if/when she does get in before me, I found that holding the driver door handle 2-3 seconds before opening it makes the vehicle switch to my profile. of course, I still have to go into the COM menu to connect my phone as primary (we prefer CarPlay)
Appreciate 0