BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-26-2023, 08:13 AM   #1
imyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D

front windscreen washer not working suggestions?

I have noticed my front windscreen washer doesn't work as intended anymore, I can hear the system trying to spray water but hardly any water coming out of the front washers, sometimes it is just a small amount covering bottom of screen only, other times nothing at all, if I stop and start it several times I may get some water on screen but not always.
The rear screen washer works perfectly fine, no issues there at all.

Any suggestions on what to check to see if there is a blockage somewhere at front?

Thanks
      03-26-2023, 08:44 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You could have a failing pump motor or a clogged filter by the pump motor, , but more likely the crusty blue stuff that forms has clogged the jets. On thing to try is to open the hood and disconnect the hose downstream of the jets and see what kind of stream comes out when you activate it. That takes the jets out of the equation. If hardly anything comes out, then it's not the jets. Our you could try putting a small needle in the jets.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 10:06 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
hopefully you didn't use Rain-X washer fluid (or similar)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 11:03 AM   #4
imyb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
You could have a failing pump motor or a clogged filter by the pump motor, , but more likely the crusty blue stuff that forms has clogged the jets. On thing to try is to open the hood and disconnect the hose downstream of the jets and see what kind of stream comes out when you activate it. That takes the jets out of the equation. If hardly anything comes out, then it's not the jets. Our you could try putting a small needle in the jets.
Do you have a picture of the downstream hose which I should disconnect to determine whether if the jets are clogged or something else?
      03-26-2023, 11:04 AM   #5
imyb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
hopefully you didn't use Rain-X washer fluid (or similar)
Nope, I have stayed away from that stuff, just water and sometimes the washer fluid you can pickup from fuel stations.
      03-26-2023, 11:24 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you raise the hood…the hoses to the wiper jets should be obvious & visible.

#1 = washer jet
#2 = washer jet chain

#1 = washer jet chain (below)

Before digging deeper into clogged hoses…take a pin/needle/safety pin and sticks the pointy end down into your washer jets to see if they are clogged up with crusty deposits.

If the jets aren’t crusty…then look further down stream.

TIPS: since many modern homes don’t have sewing pins/needles…perhaps the tip of an old ear ring will be thin enough to unclog a washer jet. Or if you have a new shirt still packaged…or you removed any pins from an old “new:” shirt… you may have tossed aside a pin that was used to keep the shirt together on your dresser etc. …or you may have an old boutonniere or corsage laying around from a past wedding or formal event that has a long straight pin still stuck in it.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-26-2023 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 2
imyb53.00
      03-26-2023, 01:15 PM   #7
Medic8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 G80 Sport, 2015 E400 conv

I had this issue on my Genesis. I took a syringe, you can use anything that attaches to the hose going to the reservoir, and put water INTO the reservoir through the hose. This let me know that section needed to be cleared.

If you have enough extra hose, you can cut off an inch or so where it connects to the sprayers and use the syringe to push fluid through the sprayers to see if THAT area is clogged.

I drained the reservoir using a syringe and a long hose. You would be AMAZED at the amount of junk that forms down there. I continued filling the reservoir through the hose and draining it. I took about an hour, but it was better than removing the reservoir.

I put nothing but washer fluid through it.
Appreciate 1
imyb53.00
      03-30-2023, 08:39 AM   #8
imyb
Private First Class
Rep

I've tried to remove the jets from the back of the hood but can't seem to figure out how to do it, any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If you raise the hood…the hoses to the wiper jets should be obvious & visible.

#1 = washer jet
#2 = washer jet chain

#1 = washer jet chain (below)

Before digging deeper into clogged hoses…take a pin/needle/safety pin and sticks the pointy end down into your washer jets to see if they are clogged up with crusty deposits.

If the jets aren’t crusty…then look further down stream.

TIPS: since many modern homes don’t have sewing pins/needles…perhaps the tip of an old ear ring will be thin enough to unclog a washer jet. Or if you have a new shirt still packaged…or you removed any pins from an old “new:” shirt… you may have tossed aside a pin that was used to keep the shirt together on your dresser etc. …or you may have an old boutonniere or corsage laying around from a past wedding or formal event that has a long straight pin still stuck in it.
      03-30-2023, 09:26 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyb View Post
I've tried to remove the jets from the back of the hood but can't seem to figure out how to do it, any suggestions?
I can't find anything on removal...the TIS says that they are preset and only shows how to adjust them.

I wonder what happens if you remove the screw (#2) completely?
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 09:39 AM   #10
imyb
Private First Class
Rep

thanks, I wasn't able to find anything online either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I can't find anything on removal...the TIS says that they are preset and only shows how to adjust them.

I wonder what happens if you remove the screw (#2) completely?
      04-01-2023, 10:04 AM   #11
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Pump is going out or is clogged. On my previous F15, had my first one replaced under warranty. When the second one went out and I got quoted some silly amount to get it fixed, my SA told me I have a 50% of fixing it by draining the tank and filling it with vinegar. I had to let it sit in there for weeks, but eventually the clog dissolved and all is well again.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 10:25 AM   #12
imyb
Private First Class
Rep

Could you please elaborate on the vinegar scenario, what type of vinegar did you use, how much to put in tank and should I try and use washer with vinegar in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Pump is going out or is clogged. On my previous F15, had my first one replaced under warranty. When the second one went out and I got quoted some silly amount to get it fixed, my SA told me I have a 50% of fixing it by draining the tank and filling it with vinegar. I had to let it sit in there for weeks, but eventually the clog dissolved and all is well again.
      04-01-2023, 11:32 AM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Could you please elaborate on the vinegar scenario, what type of vinegar did you use, how much to put in tank and should I try and use washer with vinegar in there?
I just used the cheap supermarket brand white vinegar. I diluted it 50/50 with warm water and filled up the tank. I let it sit for a while (weeks) before I actually tried to use the windshield wipers washers again. I would do it before washing the car so all the vinegar would be rinsed off the vehicle. Didn't want to let that sit on the paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 05:44 AM   #14
strikeloa
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Through using the info above, along with an idea from a video I found online for an older X5, I managed to fix this quickly myself (at least for now!). In my case the pump was activating, however limited-to-no jet flow. The jets themselves did not seem clogged.

The resolve, I did the following:
1) Removed (pulled/unclipped) the final jet.
2) Removed (unclipped) the outer jet casing.
3) Loosened the small wires from the sheath that is built into the pipe, so as to reduce chance of damage when....
4) Yanking/twisting the jet off the end of the pipe.
5) Opened the washer tank lid to allow expel
6) Attached an air pump to the end of the pipe where the jet had been removed and blow air through a few times (video I saw used compressed air gun, which I don't have, so I just used a foot pump gently manipulated by hand).
7) Reattach final jet.

Assumedly draining the tank by syphon and refilling would be an ideal next step to reduce chance of repeat, however I have not done that yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 09:29 AM   #15
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Nope, I have stayed away from that stuff, just water and sometimes the washer fluid you can pickup from fuel stations.
After you get this resolved, stick to OEM fluid or something compatible. There have been several threads on this site about additives in some brands of washer fluid that tend to cause problems in BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 09:45 AM   #16
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Silicon…it’s a warning in many of the BMW owners manuals to avoid using washer fluid that contains silicon.

It apparently can have a negative affect on the capacitive washer fluid level sensor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 03:27 PM   #17
Andruhan
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeloa View Post
Through using the info above, along with an idea from a video I found online for an older X5, I managed to fix this quickly myself (at least for now!). In my case the pump was activating, however limited-to-no jet flow. The jets themselves did not seem clogged.

3) Loosened the small wires from the sheath that is built into the pipe, so as to reduce chance of damage when....
6) Attached an air pump to the end of the pipe where the jet had been removed and blow air through a few times (video I saw used compressed air gun, which I don't have, so I just used a foot pump gently manipulated by hand).
7) Reattach final jet.

Assumedly draining the tank by syphon and refilling would be an ideal next step to reduce chance of repeat, however I have not done that yet.
Sweet! Thanks a lot!!! I followed your steps and it unclogged the flow! I used a ryobi power inflator. Worked like a charm!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 10:15 AM   #18
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeloa View Post

7) Reattach final jet.

Gonna ask a stupid question, how do you unclip? My last jet (driver's side) is stopped up.

Like to get the thing off the unit so I can see what I'm doing.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 12:29 PM   #19
mrickard
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
Gonna ask a stupid question, how do you unclip? My last jet (driver's side) is stopped up.

Like to get the thing off the unit so I can see what I'm doing.

Thanks
Would appreciate any help based on this question. I was able to detach the sprayer from the hood by gently pulling down in the direction of the arrow. I have heated sprayers, so there’s wiring inside the rubber tubing. I started to try to disconnect the sprayer from the tubing but feared I would pull the electrical wiring is well. And it seemed pretty tightly held in place. So any guidance on how to safely disconnect the hose from the sprayer would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0