BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2024, 08:23 AM   #5721
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Horizon, An American Saga

So Crusty Costner left Yellowstone to make this Western Saga, apparently will be 4 instalments. This looks pretty good.

Appreciate 1
T0RM3NT3640.50
      03-01-2024, 09:44 AM   #5722
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
They're milking another movie outta this, thought it was just supposed to be 2 parts?
Speculation on my part, at the end of the movie
      03-01-2024, 10:54 AM   #5723
Fishee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
There's children of dune as well... if the first 2 are successful enough, more will be made. It's only predicated on the philosophy of $$$, not art
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 05:27 PM   #5724
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
This is dune, not star wars.
What does that even mean?

Quote:
Ok, cool. I was under the impression that Dune would just be a 2-parter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishee View Post
There's children of dune as well... if the first 2 are successful enough, more will be made. It's only predicated on the philosophy of $$$, not art
That explains John Wick and a buncha other stuff.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 08:20 PM   #5725
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

So.

I went to see Dune 2 today.

I'm probably the contrarian here, but I'm going to go with "Meh".

People are raging about it (good for them), but I was underwhelmed for a whole bunch of different reasons-- not the least of which was that the costume designers were probably dropping acid throughout the entire film production.

Let's just say that the screen blurb that said the movie was only "Based on" the book was very, very accurate.

I've read the book at least a dozen times since high school, and I had trouble following what was going on. Two (or more depending on how you count them and at least one miniseries) movies made about the book and I'm standing by my original thought that Dune is simply a story that can *not* be made into a movie. There are just too many moving parts that intertwine-- I just don't think that a movie will ever do it justice-- at least not with any coherence.

If you enjoyed it, great.... but I found myself looking at my watch repeatedly during the movie-- never a good sign.

Ymmv.

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 03-03-2024 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 08:27 PM   #5726
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
So.

People are raging about it (good for them), but I was underwhelmed for a whole bunch of different reasons— not the least of which was that the costume designers were probably dropping acid throughout the entire film production.

Let's just say that the screen blurb that said the movie was only "Based on" the book was very, very accurate.

I've read the book at least a dozen times since high school, and I had trouble following what was going on. Two (or more depending on how you count them and at least one miniseries) movies made about the book and I'm standing my my original thought that Dune is simply a story that can *not* be made into a movie. There are just too many moving parts that intertwine— I just don't think that a movie will ever do it justice— at least not with any coherence.

If you enjoyed it, great.... but I found myself looking at my watch repeatedly during the movie— never a good sign.

Ymmv.

R.
I’m a fan of the source material and even lynches film. We saw part 2 in iMax last night. I enjoyed it but I agree there is too much going on to really tell the story correctly. I should really be a 6-8 episode miniseries.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 11:36 AM   #5727
Fishee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So.

People are raging about it (good for them), but I was underwhelmed for a whole bunch of different reasons-- not the least of which was that the costume designers were probably dropping acid throughout the entire film production.

I've read the book at least a dozen times since high school, and I had trouble following what was going on. Two (or more depending on how you count them and at least one miniseries) movies made about the book and I'm standing by my original thought that Dune is simply a story that can *not* be made into a movie. There are just too many moving parts that intertwine-- I just don't think that a movie will ever do it justice-- at least not with any coherence.

If you enjoyed it, great.... but I found myself looking at my watch repeatedly during the movie-- never a good sign.

Ymmv.

R.
I'd argue that Villeneuve's movies are primarily style over substance. So, they're only watchable once, if you're able to suspend enough disbelief to enjoy the visual spectacle (like, I could barely get through the stupidity of Arrival).
Bladerunner 2049 was the exception for me, great story, and follow up to the original.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 12:09 PM   #5728
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Watched DUNE 2.
Hmmmmm... I was expecting much more. I found it too much of a "Drama Love Story" with a sprinkle of Action here and there and too long. 2.5/5 for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 09:20 AM   #5729
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Reporting in first?

Immense cinematography! XD sound was amazing. First half of movie was pretty true to book, second they deviated a bit. Probably as much time management as anything else.

Definitely will see again!

Part 3 in 2025?
I saw it last Friday in IMAX and Saturday in a normal theater. I absolutely loved it from start to finish. As a book reader I accept the deviations. None really irked me too much and some even made a lot of sense. Villeneuve was probably the best director to take such an ambitious project and pull it off. Not only is he a brilliant director, but you can tell that he cared a lot about the source material. I hope he gets to do Messiah.

Quote:
That's interesting. I thought the costume design was great. It was certainly less ridiculous than Lynch's and not cheesy/cheap like the miniseries. Irulan's outfits were a bit much, but that's about it. To each their own though!

Last edited by nosbocaj; 03-05-2024 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:27 AM   #5730
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Ferrari on Sky Cinema now, true story of how they won the '57 Mille Miglia but it came at a cost.
Driver and Cruz are remarkable in this Michael Mann film.

* Full trailer.

Last edited by M5Rick; 03-06-2024 at 05:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 11:00 PM   #5731
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

5lbs of Pressure, gritty, realistic. That kid playing Luke Evan's son is gonna be a star, great acting, reminds me of River Phoenix. The whole cast was great.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 12:04 AM   #5732
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

"All the Light We Cannot See". It's a four-part miniseries on Netflix. My wife and I *really* enjoyed it. The cats even got into it. We finished the last episode this evening.

Aria Mia Loberti, the lead actress, is pretty mind-boggling: She's essentially blind, is trained in ballet and martial arts, has a yoga certification, graduated summa cum laude with three Majors in Philosophy, Communication Studies & Political Science, two Minors in Ancient Greek Languages & Rhetoric in the Honors program, has a Master's Degree in Ancient Rhetoric with Distinction (on a Fullbright Scholarship to London, no less) and has been working on her Doctorate in Ancient Rhetoric.

Did I mention that she did all this while being functionally blind due to a genetic abnormality?

Think about what *she's* accomplished the next time you're lazing on the couch complaining about the life not being fair and that the fridge's too far away to go get a beer.

And then to top it off? She sent in a demo tape to a global casting audition for this role on a frelling whim.

And got the part.

With no acting training.

Or experience.

And it was her first audition.

*Ever*.

Hugh Laurie and Mark Ruffalo are in it as well (and you only wonder what House and The Hulk are doing in wartime France for a few minutes). The CGI isn't great but it's not central to the story so you really don't mind. Overall, it's shot in a very lovely, very warm "film" technique that doesn't give you that overly digital feel-- a lot of the movie feels like you stepped into a photo from the 1940's.

And the Nazi's? Yeah-- *Definitely* the Bad Guys. They maybe could have toned down their utter repulsiveness a bit. (But their uniforms *do* look fabulous. )

Well worth the watch! I just ordered the book for my wife.

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 03-09-2024 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 05:10 PM   #5733
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

I'll try not to be cruel. I hate to say rubbish because some might like this movie but my wife and I watched it last night and about 10 minutes in we knew it wasn't going to be good. The following comments are my opinion and if others like the movie then ok but I found the acting to be terrible, the whole thing just missed the mark for me. 1 hour and 49 minutes of my life I won't get back. Have at it if you want but don't say I didn't warn you.

Appreciate 2
HFW0035696.50
      03-12-2024, 06:27 PM   #5734
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not sure if this is better or worse than Damsel.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 06:30 PM   #5735
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I'll try not to be cruel. I hate to say rubbish because some might like this movie but my wife and I watched it last night and about 10 minutes in we knew it wasn't going to be good. The following comments are my opinion and if others like the movie then ok but I found the acting to be terrible, the whole thing just missed the mark for me. 1 hour and 49 minutes of my life I won't get back. Have at it if you want but don't say I didn't warn you.

Ditto, the dude's a king, goes riding to try to kill the thing and he has like, what, a wimpy posse of 6 men or something? His whole freaking kingdom and he can only muster a handful of knights? Man, I dunno why I sat through that either (it's like made for kids, really), at least I sped it up to 2x speed, so I only lost ~55 mins
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2024, 04:36 AM   #5736
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I'm not sure if this is better or worse than Damsel.

Couldn't they choose anyone other than Neeson for this.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 12:55 PM   #5737
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Definitely be watching this.

Appreciate 1
nyalpine907433.00
      03-14-2024, 07:43 PM   #5738
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
5lbs of Pressure, gritty, realistic. That kid playing Luke Evan's son is gonna be a star, great acting, reminds me of River Phoenix. The whole cast was great.
Thanks. I like Luke Evans! Will watch.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 03:09 PM   #5739
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Exclamation

PREPARE....

Attached Images

03-20-2024, 03:32 PM   #5740
Fishee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
PREPARE....

Ugh.... do I want to be disappointed again?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 05:35 PM   #5741
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishee View Post
Ugh.... do I want to be disappointed again?
Yeah, hoping it's better than the last one.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 05:38 PM   #5742
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
Yeah, hoping it's better than the last one.
The first two are the best, imo.