08-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #111
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
^ I bought some little "hot box" that I can put soaked chips into, then it just slides around on the top of the grill to add some flavor. I like that it's on top so I can move it around as needed, and only have to flip the lid off right before firing up the grill to add fresh chips. It was in the $5-15 range, probably at Home Depot.
Yep. Same principle.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #112
ouchie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post
Forgot to post these

Top sirloins dry brined, reverse seared.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #113
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C.
Forgot to post these

That came out really good.
      08-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #114
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

My grill is on its way out, it came with our house when we bought it and its simply falling apart, rust all over the place. I did my best to get 2 years out of it but i would like to get a new one for next year. I would like something with as much stainless steel as possible, any recommendations?

PS: Gas grills only
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #115
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Forgot to post these

When you do that reverse, are you dropping them in an iron skillet, or doing the sear outside on a grill?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #116
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
Quote:
Forgot to post these

When you do that reverse, are you dropping them in an iron skillet, or doing the sear outside on a grill?
These were seared on a cast iron pan.

I sometimes do it on the grill too though.
      08-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #117
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

<wheels spinning in head, stomach growling> I think I may have been doing it wrong all these years. I have a hankering and it can only be satisfied with more cow flesh!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:51 AM   #118
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
<wheels spinning in head, stomach growling> I think I may have been doing it wrong all these years. I have a hankering and it can only be satisfied with more cow flesh!

this is the method I use
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...se_steaks.html
      08-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #119
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
My grill is on its way out, it came with our house when we bought it and its simply falling apart, rust all over the place. I did my best to get 2 years out of it but i would like to get a new one for next year. I would like something with as much stainless steel as possible, any recommendations?

PS: Gas grills only
Ni idea if the quality now is the same as it was 10 years ago but my Summit series Weber that came with the house is now near 10 years old. It is in spectacular shape, no rust anywhere, built like a freakin tank. To top it off, it was not covered for the first 7 years of it's life.

Exceedingly expensive but damn, it is dead set like new after 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #120
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
I don't really bother with the whole reverse sear thing but I just started trying out extended dry brining (2+ hours) and it really kicks the steaks up a notch.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #121
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Ni idea if the quality now is the same as it was 10 years ago but my Summit series Weber that came with the house is now near 10 years old. It is in spectacular shape, no rust anywhere, built like a freakin tank. To top it off, it was not covered for the first 7 years of it's life.

Exceedingly expensive but damn, it is dead set like new after 10 years.
Expensive is an understatement. You are the third person to tell me about this grill, I'll start saving
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #122
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Expensive is an understatement. You are the third person to tell me about this grill, I'll start saving
To be honest those grills seem to have a love/hate relationship due to cost. I know 3 people who have them and 2 would not buy again because of the cost, the other wants to divorce his wife and marry the summit! What do you want in a grill and maybe you'll get some other recs. I personally do about half my stuff on the grill and the other in a cheap smoker but have been doing more and more smoking lately with the warm water in the west and the amount of quality fish available.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #123
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
Rep

Honestly, I love to grill...I grill practically throughout the whole year. In my case I care a lot about build quality and space. My wife loves to put together kebabs and I love to grill skirt and porterhouse steaks. Again im looking for a good quality grill that will do a great job w/ heat control and also last more than 7 years lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 04:01 PM   #124
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

So, say you wanted to cook a nice steak for the wife on Thursday. You don't currently have anything stored away in a freezer somewhere, and don't have a cow in the back yard. Where would you go buy something like a nice rib-eye short of an overnight order from the internet?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #125
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Two ribeyes I recently made. Sous vide at 128* for an hour then seared with a torch. Medium rare in the middle with minimal gray band.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #126
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
TBH I would not buy one, I am not sure they are worth the cash but as i said before, it is in ridiculous shape for it's age. I cannot speak highly enough of the build quality, every part is fuck off heavy, and i mean EVERY part.

I see no reason why i would not get another 20 years out of it, which is absolutely ridiculous. If you buy one young you may never, ever need another grill.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #127
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
TBH I would not buy one, I am not sure they are worth the cash but as i said before, it is in ridiculous shape for it's age. I cannot speak highly enough of the build quality, every part is fuck off heavy, and i mean EVERY part.

I see no reason why i would not get another 20 years out of it, which is absolutely ridiculous. If you buy one young you may never, ever need another grill.
haha yea that's the goal, I'm 27 now and I wanna be using this thing till im 40!

Im going to keep an eye open, hopefully there's one on clearance somewhere at the end of the season..if not then ill pick one up next spring
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #128
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
Two ribeyes I recently made. Sous vide at 128* for an hour then seared with a torch. Medium rare in the middle with minimal gray band.

That's awesome!

What sous vide apparatus are you using?
      08-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #129
FJJB
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 - 6MT & ZCP

Quote:
So, say you wanted to cook a nice steak for the wife on Thursday. You don't currently have anything stored away in a freezer somewhere, and don't have a cow in the back yard. Where would you go buy something like a nice rib-eye short of an overnight order from the internet?
Whole Foods? Not the best ever, but since moving to the burbs I've been consistently impressed with the quality the offerings at my local store.

Falls short of the best specialty butchers, but great for a last minute steak night decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #130
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Yeah as stated above me Whole Foods sells dry aged beef and it's pretty much the best you're going to get from a grocer. A local butcher may or may not be better, really depends on the butcher. My Costco sells really nice Prime tenderloins, strips, and ribeyes.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #131
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
haha yea that's the goal, I'm 27 now and I wanna be using this thing till im 40!

Im going to keep an eye open, hopefully there's one on clearance somewhere at the end of the season..if not then ill pick one up next spring
40?? That's 13 years, mine is nearly that old, I seriously think you could be OK until 60.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #132
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Honestly, I love to grill...I grill practically throughout the whole year. In my case I care a lot about build quality and space. My wife loves to put together kebabs and I love to grill skirt and porterhouse steaks. Again im looking for a good quality grill that will do a great job w/ heat control and also last more than 7 years lol.
Just about any quality, non home improvement store type that sits in the front of the store, will last that long with a little effort and maintenance. Build quality is subjective, I've seen some trashed Weber, Viking and DCS grills coasting thousands,my brother in law trashed his $3K Viking 45" full stainless in just 5 years, I spent a whole day, took it apart power washed the carcass, degreased it, cleaned and polished the stainless and we replaced 2 burners that were done, it's like new but he'll trash it again. I'd shop around at some dedicated BBQ outlets get an idea of what features you like and shop the internet. From what you say you really don't need anything special so keep an open mind on brands and buy the feature set you like.
Appreciate 0