Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Shit, got me dad!

You're absolutely right, I actually also decided that that would be best. Don't want to overload and need to cycle off, smh. Haha, I know you see the huge variance in calorie burn between morning and evening on MFP LOL.

Why don't you stop by there one day?! I'm sure they could use some WD-40.
I have to admit that i up my speed when i past by there. They do group rides of like 30 to 50 people out of there so they are all milling around the parking lot like a bunch of bees getting ready to swarm. I just double my power out put when passing until i can't handle it.

Speaking of power out put... my power sensor battery was dead when i started my ride so i didn't have my power metric available to me when riding which is what i typically go by. So i was riding by perceived effort. I fell like i was sucking it up and that new saddle wasn't feeling too great so i cut my workout short by 8 or so miles. Felt kind of defeated, like i was riding slow the whole time. I open up Garmin connect and front page shows me achieving a new record. I bested my 40k time by nearly 2 minutes! I guess i was working harder than i thought. lol Last two times i reduced my 40k time it was only by 32 and 12 seconds respectively. Yesterday i didn't expect to lower that time at all, so besting it by 2 min was completely unexpected.

I should ride with my computer facing down every other week?! Maybe that makes me work harder.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 05-19-2016 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #28536
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I have to admit that i up my speed when i past by there. They do group rides of like 30 to 50 people out of there so they are all milling around the parking lot like a bunch of bees getting ready to swarm. I just double my power out put when passing until i can't handle it.

Speaking of power out put... my power sensor battery was dead when i started my ride so i didn't have my power metric available to me when riding which is what i typically go by. So i was riding by perceived effort. I fell like i was sucking it up and that new saddle wasn't feeling too great so i cut my workout short by 8 or so miles. Felt kind of defeated, like i was riding slow the whole time. I open up Garmin connect and front page shows me achieving a new record. I bested my 40 time by nearly 2 minutes! I guess i was working harder than i thought. lol Last two times i reduced my 40k time it was only by 32 and 12 seconds respectively. Yesterday i didn't expect to lower that time at all, so besting it by 2 min was completely unexpected.

I should ride without my computer facing down every other week?! Maybe that makes me work harder.
Damn! That's a huge difference! LOL congrats man!!

Yeah, haha. The perception of hard work is usually quantified appropriately when we aren't monitoring as we go along. But that's remarkable, nonetheless!

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #28537
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Dude there are no other machines at my job. 60-80 pounds is good enough for me for those routines anyway, plates only go up to 112 pounds.
Low weight is fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #28538
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Yeah, haha. The perception of hard work is usually quantified appropriately when we aren't monitoring as we go along. But that's remarkable, nonetheless!
I have definitely noticed this. For me it is running with my iPhone music and app. Occasionally on a business trip, I'll forget my running headphones or arm strap. Almost ALWAYS when I run with no audible cues, I run faster.
      05-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #28539
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Low weight is fine.
Easy for you to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
I have definitely noticed this. For me it is running with my iPhone music and app. Occasionally on a business trip, I'll forget my running headphones or arm strap. Almost ALWAYS when I run with no audible cues, I run faster.
So are you saying that you run faster with like, no music? That's different. I have literally grown somewhat dependent on my playlists to capitalize on my output. But then again, it's mostly for my more extreme training.

Could just be habit, too.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #28540
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah cuz I'm old and can't lift shit
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #28541
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Easy for you to say.

So are you saying that you run faster with like, no music? That's different. I have literally grown somewhat dependent on my playlists to capitalize on my output. But then again, it's mostly for my more extreme training.

Could just be habit, too.
Yeah - I do the same... the problem is that I seem to settle in to a play list. So, when I forget it, I have more urgency or something - I push harder in fear that I am going slower. It is psychological... and kind of weird. Usually, after one of those, I need to adjust my playlist.
      05-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #28542
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yeah cuz I'm old and can't lift shit
      05-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #28543
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

How did you know I was powered by beer
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #28544
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Best thing about being in Chicago is that I know the cops in all the towns I frequent.
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #28545
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Dude there are no other machines at my job. 60-80 pounds is good enough for me for those routines anyway, plates only go up to 112 pounds.
That's a sad gym when you have to COLLECT all the weights to get 112....

You're better off doing machines and body weight right?

1MOREMOD walks into a gym, sees that the Dumbbells only go up to 120lbs, grunts, calls the gym Curves, turns around and walks out. Never to return again.

Must have gym with Dumbbells over 200+.
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #28546
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
Best thing about being in Chicago is that I know the cops in all the towns I frequent.
How'd you manage that?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #28547
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure they harass you quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post

1MOREMOD walks into a gym, sees that the Dumbbells only go up to 120lbs, grunts, calls the gym Curves, turns around and walks out. Never to return again.

Yeah, well for the lat pull downs and chest press, that's actually a decent amount of weight for moderate reps and pump. Like I said, I don't have much time in there in the mornings lol. about 10 minutes of my 30 minutes is warm-up/cool down.

1MOREMOD is indeed an alien. Fueled by #beerforgains.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #28548
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I supposed i should clarify. My pedals measure power independently and i only had one with a dead battery. That's the one that talks to my garmin which meant my garmin was displaying no power readings. I have an app on my phone (for back up) that takes to my pedals independently. In using that, the power output shown on the display was only from one pedal. Power figures for one pedal typically = 50% of actual power.

Maybe it was the psychological effect of seeing such a low number when i'm using to seeing double that made me work harder? I mean i was doubling the number in my head while riding but when reading power from only one pedal, it only moves in 5 watt increments. In trying to stay above 100 watts i was trying to see 105 more often than 100. By doubling my best 20 min power average, i was at 217. The best 20 min average I've put down (outside of that TT race) was 209 watts. 8 watts doesn't sound like much but just a hand full of watts when you're over 200 can make a significant difference.

On the note of 8 watts making a significant difference, i've read that by shaving my legs i can reduce my drag coefficient by what equals a 7 - 12 watt gain over 40k, depending on my Chewbacca factor. On the Chewy scale, i think i'll probably gain about 10 watts, which is huge. So far though, i'm not jonesing bad enough for extra wattage to justify shave my legs.
      05-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #28549
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Believe it or not, they don't!

Actually end up having nice chats with them whenever I'm in town.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #28550
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
I supposed i should clarify. My pedals measure power independently and i only had one with a dead battery. That's the one that talks to my garmin which meant my garmin was displaying no power readings. I have an app on my phone (for back up) that takes to my pedals independently. In using that, the power output shown on the display was only from one pedal. Power figures for one pedal typically = 50% of actual power.

Maybe it was the psychological effect of seeing such a low number when i'm using to seeing double that made me work harder? I mean i was doubling the number in my head while riding but when reading power from only one pedal, it only moves in 5 watt increments. In trying to stay above 100 watts i was trying to see 105 more often than 100. By doubling my best 20 min power average, i was at 217. The best 20 min average I've put down (outside of that TT race) was 209 watts. 8 watts doesn't sound like much but just a hand full of watts when you're over 200 can make a significant difference.

On the note of 8 watts making a significant difference, i've read that by shaving my legs i can reduce my drag coefficient by what equals a 7 - 12 watt gain over 40k, depending on my Chewbacca factor. On the Chewy scale, i think i'll probably gain about 10 watts, which is huge. So far though, i'm not jonesing bad enough for extra wattage to justify shave my legs.
I thought that my comprehension of this post was completely lost until I was saved by the last paragraph.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #28551
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Can you hook up a couple leads to your legs and a capacitor to store the electricity generated by the static coming from your Chewbacca legs? Then feed that energy back into a small electric motor attached to your bicycle wheel.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #28552
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
How'd you manage that?
A lot of the hotels we started ended up cleaning up the areas around them, so we established relationships with the the police departments way back. When I started shadowing my dad and working in the hotels, I always talked with the cops when they'd stop by. Nice guys, some of the most genuine people I know.

Also, a few of the GMs for our regions are married to higher tier cops in the towns. I also provide them with free coffee, donuts, and lunch from the cafes in the hotels. And I occasionally give them rides in the whips.
Appreciate 3
      05-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #28553
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A lot of the hotels we started ended up cleaning up the areas around them, so we established relationships with the the police departments way back. When I started shadowing my dad and working in the hotels, I always talked with the cops when they'd stop by. Nice guys, some of the most genuine people I know.

Also, a few of the GMs for our regions are married to higher tier cops in the towns. I also provide them with free coffee, donuts, and lunch from the cafes in the hotels. And I occasionally give them rides in the whips.
Rides n whips? Dayum bro!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #28554
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, well for the lat pull downs and chest press, that's actually a decent amount of weight for moderate reps and pump. Like I said, I don't have much time in there in the mornings lol. about 10 minutes of my 30 minutes is warm-up/cool down.

1MOREMOD is indeed an alien. Fueled by #beerforgains.
I lived/worked in a small town back in the day for about 10 years.

The town had a very small gym I'd use.

One of my professional COI's was an attorney and he just also happened to be a former BYU and pro O-lineman.

When he walked into the gym - every 45 and 35 lb plate was used for the next 1.5 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #28555
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish
Quote:
Believe it or not, they don't!

Actually end up having nice chats with them whenever I'm in town.
Hey... Who's the brown guy?
- Actual Des Plaines police officer audio
      05-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #28556
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hey... Who's the brown guy?
- Actual Des Plaines police officer audio