Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
You are forgiven... This time... They brought back (not that it ever was a thing outside of hollywood movies) cement boots in NYC recently, I would hate for verbiage to inherit your m6 and i8 so soon...

It really is a model of efficiency though... Their HR is far for efficient... There's no right to hire, there is no annual reviews, you get out of line you uhmm, get terminated, lol...

Sure they they don't have 401K programs or medical, but they don't take out much in terms of taxes... Work from home, choose your hours, can move up quickly with tenacity, elbow grease and an unfortunate demise of the person above you...

And they're an international thing... Not just mom and pop rug company... I feel like verbiage might not be looking at all options here...
Thanks for your forbearance. We all suffer from myopia at times. Not you, of course, other people.

One other advantage is the pure meritocracy employed in these organizations. Eat what you kill. Not literally. Well...not all the time. You know what I mean.

Appreciate 2
      05-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #27458
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Quote:
You are forgiven... This time... They brought back (not that it ever was a thing outside of hollywood movies) cement boots in NYC recently, I would hate for verbiage to inherit your m6 and i8 so soon...

It really is a model of efficiency though... Their HR is far for efficient... There's no right to hire, there is no annual reviews, you get out of line you uhmm, get terminated, lol...

Sure they they don't have 401K programs or medical, but they don't take out much in terms of taxes... Work from home, choose your hours, can move up quickly with tenacity, elbow grease and an unfortunate demise of the person above you...

And they're an international thing... Not just mom and pop rug company... I feel like verbiage might not be looking at all options here...
Hey, even your dictators, despots and mob kingpins have floors... amirite?
Floors yes but I don't think North Koreans even know what carpet feels like on their feet...
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #27459
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
My apologies for ignoring this vibrant and important part of our economy. The ingenuity, resourcefulness, and sheer tenacity of those engaged in providing a highly demanded, bespoke, product in an environment of extreme regulation and negative public perception is nothing short of startling.

The global distribution networks involved in this enterprise are also a model worthy of further study. In most cases, the transportation network must overcome regulatory hurdles, natural barriers, and hostile competitors. Additionally, theft and diversion of the product from its intended markets can be a major factor which can have a negative impact on the bottom line.

The security networks and vetting process that these organizations employ are also a model worthy of additional study. In the realms of personal physical security, production facility security, transportation security and human capital management they are unparalleled.

With a well defined human resources pathway with almost no legacy retirement plans to manage, efficient production facilities and flexible logistics management, these organizations are on the cutting edge of efficient management and profitability which all should strive to emulate.

I apologize for missing this sector. Thank for the correction.
Shit, this was good. LOLOL.

I especially liked the portion concerning efficient "production facilities" and "flexible" logistics management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Great that you would jump at it. A wide range of experience is great. What I think makes someone with Sales experience unique is really the fact that it teaches a few key things:
- Working under pressure - in adverse or ambiguous circumstances
- Learning how to find value
- Communication - speaking the language of value
- Urgency

I now that other disciplines benefit from these traits, but the reality is that there is a component of "sales" in every leadership position. When you lead, you learn to find out what matters to people (employees, investors, customers, suppliers, anyone...), you communicate to them in their language of value (aligning them, motivating them, pushing them). These traits are universal and sales gives people a unique blend of all of these things at the same time. No one is taught the value of urgency or how to be comfortable with ambiguity. Engineers hate ambiguity by nature, their internal language of value is "rightness" or "efficiency" or some other scientifically correct thing. Financiers are black and white people, there are laws and regulations and standards that explain how to do most of it. The people that excel in ANY field are the ones that take the necessaries and add a whopping dose of the intangibles. Someone who is technically proficient, but also adept at communicating and works with a sense of urgency and can quickly take a problem apart and build a solution to it (whether it is a technical problem, a financial one, a marketing one, a cultural one, an organizational one... w/e) is priceless
Damn... that was going to be short...
I really enjoyed this, thank you! I definitely feel as though I exude characteristics of ambiguity tolerance as the majority of my life has involved work in sales or customer service; combined with my keenness and forced scrutiny of business practices and data manipulation, determining of outliers, and anomaly corrections, it's turned me into a real machine, of sorts, at a young age.

Pressure, value, and urgency. Almost like the Holy Trinity of sales, no? Although, I suppose based upon context, urgency and pressure can be interchanged based upon circumstantial conditions and direction.

I absolutely agree with the notion of leadership encompassing varying qualities, having (I think I communicated this with you all) led a team at my healthcare analytics organization. I learned more there than I ever had concerning the workings of management and stakeholder-driven decisions, as well as decisions driven by fear and self-sustenance.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #27460
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:

Troll level = master.

I laughed really hard at this. This is another awesome way to look at this entire situation, conversely. Surprisingly, I've also had a lot of things put into perspective from these last couple posts concerning the un-legitimized means of street capitalism.

Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 11:39 AM   #27461
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Great that you would jump at it. A wide range of experience is great. What I think makes someone with Sales experience unique is really the fact that it teaches a few key things:
- Urgency

I now that other disciplines benefit from these traits, but the reality is that there is a component of "sales" in every leadership position. When you lead, you learn to find out what matters to people (employees, investors, customers, suppliers, anyone...), you communicate to them in their language of value (aligning them, motivating them, pushing them). These traits are universal and sales gives people a unique blend of all of these things at the same time. No one is taught the value of urgency or how to be comfortable with ambiguity. Engineers hate ambiguity by nature, their internal language of value is "rightness" or "efficiency" or some other scientifically correct thing. Financiers are black and white people, there are laws and regulations and standards that explain how to do most of it. The people that excel in ANY field are the ones that take the necessaries and add a whopping dose of the intangibles. Someone who is technically proficient, but also adept at communicating and works with a sense of urgency and can quickly take a problem apart and build a solution to it (whether it is a technical problem, a financial one, a marketing one, a cultural one, an organizational one... w/e) is priceless
I think everyone should be in a direct sales position early on in their lives. Working face to face with a decision maker, trying to get them to make a decision that benefits you, while showing them how the same decision benefits them is something everyone does almost on a daily basis.

Doing it to make money forces you to analyze what your saying and the different results from the minor changes you make. It enlightens you to what people really want to hear, what they really value, what makes them feel important, (which is more often than not, a buyer's highest need) what gets them to trust you, etc... Doing all that without lying or bullying is an art form.

Verbiage take note of all your friends who "hate selling" and check out where they are in 10 years. If they are employed, i'd bet the lion's share are in retail or a cube farm. The smaller percentage may be in a professional position; Dr, Accounting, Engineer, etc...

We sell our selves every day, whether it be our occupation, to advance ourselves within our occupation, to get better service from the wait staff, to get an upgrade on a flight seat, to get out of a ticket, etc.... every day. Those who excel at direct face to face sales have a fierce arrow in their quiver that can offer them piece of mind. The ability to go anywhere in the world and sell anything is a very reassuring quality to have as a core personalty trait.

I can still hear my father saying... "if you can do that, you can control your own destiny."
      05-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #27462
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Mr Tonka he wrote back man, it's Park Rug Co. & Interiors.

http://www.parkrug.com/index.html
Don't know them, but for some reason there are a hand full of MD/DC area flooring companies that are a big deal. Like $20m to $100m in annual revenue. My guess is they make a killing.

We're small potatoes compared to those guys.
      05-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #27463
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I think everyone should be in a direct sales position early on in their lives. Working face to face with a decision maker, trying to get them to make a decision that benefits you, while showing them how the same decision benefits them is something everyone does almost on a daily basis.

Doing it to make money forces you to analyze what your saying and the different results from the minor changes you make. It enlightens you to what people really want to hear, what they really value, what makes them feel important, (which is more often than not, a buyer's highest need) what gets them to trust you, etc... Doing all that without lying or bullying is an art form.

Verbiage take note of all your friends who "hate selling" and check out where they are in 10 years. If they are employed, i'd bet the lion's share are in retail or a cube farm. The smaller percentage may be in a professional position; Dr, Accounting, Engineer, etc...

We sell our selves every day, whether it be our occupation, to advance ourselves within our occupation, to get better service from the wait staff, to get an upgrade on a flight seat, to get out of a ticket, etc.... every day. Those who excel at direct face to face sales have a fierce arrow in their quiver that can offer them piece of mind. The ability to go anywhere in the world and sell anything is a very reassuring quality to have as a core personalty trait.

I can still hear my father saying... "if you can do that, you can control your own destiny."
This is very true. Learning sales is an important skill everyone should experience, especially at an early adult age. In many instances, if you're successful selling one thing, you can sell just about anything. The hurdle is to adapt.

Like the marathoning Cookie Monster said, sales experience teaches you a lot about yourself and how to deal with a wide array of people. It's not always an "honest" profession, haha. However, it is "honest" work. You don't produce. You don't get paid. Can't get any more honest than that.

Sometimes I wish I stayed in professional sales after college, I was really good at it.
Appreciate 5
      05-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #27464
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Floors yes but I don't think North Koreans even know what carpet feels like on their feet...
Except when giving wifey footjob.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #27465
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

All this business talk is funny to me. I always tell people that if my pay depended on sales, I would starve. Opposite end of the spectrum for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #27466
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Totally OT

I ran out of books to read and movies to watch. Too dizzy from pain meds to focus on my side project. Now watching "Pumping Iron" a classic film by Arnold.

1. My wife just said, "Omg, you're gay now? And laughed"
2. Guys is this gay?
3. Please suggest some good books to read "on tape"

Thanks for the support.

Btw, still pushing keto. Hovering 50-75 grams of carbs a day. Sucks.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #27467
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Quote:
I've always been people-centric, and I realize that yours and jtodd_fl's roles are customer interfacing and can prove to be lucrative due to the effects that they exude over the scope and acquiring of business.

I suppose the bulk of my customer "interactions" have not been on a level that I desired; i.e., lower-level customer service and retail. But with regard to a higher level of dealings, I would certainly jump at the opportunities.
- Urgency

You learn a couple intangibles about people who are in sales roles....

1. What truly motivates them
2. If they are truly ethical

A little nugget from the voice of experience, A good salesman knows WHO to call on, a great salesman knows WHEN to move on to the next call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 3
      05-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #27468
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
I ran out of books to read and movies to watch. Too dizzy from pain meds to focus on my side project. Now watching "Pumping Iron" a classic film by Arnold.

2. Guys is this gay?

Thanks for the support.

Depends. You know what Arnold feels like in the gym, right? And you're watching that, just sayin'.

https://youtu.be/7nZ1v96-veM?t=1m
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #27469
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:
Mr Tonka he wrote back man, it's Park Rug Co. & Interiors.

http://www.parkrug.com/index.html
Don't know them, but for some reason there are a hand full of MD/DC area flooring companies that are a big deal. Like $20m to $100m in annual revenue. My guess is they make a killing.

We're small potatoes compared to those guys.
@Mr Tonka - In your experience, what's the best and worst part about being your own boss?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #27470
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
Depends. You know what Arnold feels like in the gym, right? And you're watching that, just sayin'.

https://youtu.be/7nZ1v96-veM?t=1m
Haha. He does say this.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #27471
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

I love sales. It's the only time I can spend all day, in full Jewish Indian mode, without looking too out-of-place.

Experiencing sales, on either end, can teach a lot more than any book.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #27472
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Quote:

2. Guys is this gay?

Thanks for the support.

Read "The Wolf of Wallstreet". 100x better than the movie.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #27473
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All this business talk is funny to me. I always tell people that if my pay depended on sales, I would starve. Opposite end of the spectrum for sure.
Engineer?

Quote:

2. Guys is this gay?

Thanks for the support.

Yes, you are now gay. Being dizzy makes you gay. Enjoy.

Band of Brothers
Kite Runner - exceptionally good in audio format because it's narrated by the author.
      05-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #27474
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post

Couldn't agree with you more on this, great points you've brought up. Most of my immediate friends, unfortunately, are lacking in the self-starting department and do not have any real working experience or savvy to amount to much, production/ascension-wise. I just do my part to soak up whatever knowledge I can and improve upon what I know. That's why I reached out to this gentleman, so I can at least be surrounded by the right crowd and identified as pioneer, of sorts, of differentiating qualities amongst my age bracket.

Quote:
This is very true. Learning sales is an important skill everyone should experience, especially at an early adult age. In many instances, if you're successful selling one thing, you can sell just about anything. The hurdle is to adapt.

Like the marathoning Cookie Monster said, sales experience teaches you a lot about yourself and how to deal with a wide array of people. It's not always an "honest" profession, haha. However, it is "honest" work. You don't produce. You don't get paid. Can't get any more honest than that.

Sometimes I wish I stayed in professional sales after college, I was really good at it.
Makes total sense to me, lol. Tonka is right, sales is a part of our daily ins and outs on a subconscious level; it remains up to the discretion of the individual whether or not he/she chooses to turn a profit for that skill-set.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #27475
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Second band of brothers and will take some serious time to get thru
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #27476
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
Read "The Wolf of Wallstreet". 100x better than the movie.
Read it. Thanks though.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #27477
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Like I said, retail/administrative sales experience, I absolutely do not care for. However, corporate stakeholder networking and product details, CRM, sales through cloud-based engineering, etc.. that is a different ballpark altogether.

Quote:

2. Guys is this gay?

Thanks for the support.

Forgot everything you said after the last part. LOL.

50-75, huh? Is that a normal range, for Keto? I assume all of the macronutrients are centered on proteins and fat.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #27478
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Read it. Thanks though.
The martian? Also way better.
Appreciate 2