BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #639
ToddBlack88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC 2010 F650GS

Oh and when we moved in, there were two closets in the master bedroom. Since one backed on to the main bath, and I where a company supplied uniform M-F so not a lot of clothes, I ripped out that closet and put a small powder room in there instead.
Also because................I am a plumber and can. Lol.

Small room, cut wall and locate wet vent. Cut in a branch for the basin. Tiled, wainscot the walls. And finishing with mirrors and pedestal sink.

Last edited by ToddBlack88; 01-03-2020 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #640
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Here's the big beam in the living room, complete with the furring strips still attached. Two walls (and the ceiling) still need to be painted after the crown was pulled down and the drywall repaired. Oh, and the door to the basement is getting replaced with a flat, solid core birch door in the next couple of weeks, too. All the doors and windows need to be re-trimmed with more correct style trim boards. Ugh.
looks like you still need to do the door casing and baseboards
Yep. Door trim is part of the door swap pending. Baseboards will get replaced throughout when the new floor goes in.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #641
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
We installed a Sputnik style lamp in the dining room. This shows a bit of the T&G ceiling and exposed beams.

Love it! So jealous of your ceilings...
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-03-2020, 06:17 PM   #642
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Love the chair!

Interesting cut out in the door!

Not sure how I feel about the three [filter] hanging on the wall.

Thanks!

Yeah, quick and dirty cat door. Didn't bother trimming it out since the door is being replaced.

The yarn art is the wifey's choice, in fairness they look better in person than in the picture.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      01-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #643
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Ooooo, it's going to look so good! You guys have all the MCM furniture and trimmings. I half way expect to see a shot of Don Draper lounging in your living-room with a glass of Scotch.
Ha! Thanks, man. I appreciate that very much. The coffee table (Lane Acclaim), teak nesting tables between the couch and chair, and the teak secretary (used as a liquor cabinet) are all vintage pieces.

Quote:
You have my chair you lucky SOB! I've been lusting over an Eames recliner for about 30 years. Is it the real deal or a knock-off? I met a woman at a party this past summer who works for a company that designs all of Amazon's interior spaces in Seattle. She can get the real deal Herman Miller version (black leather with walnut, of course) at cost. She offered to hook me up. It's still $4k. I just...can't...do...it... I found a knockoff on amazon that is advertised as full grain Italian leather. $1500. Before I could move on it, it disappeared. Damn.
Yep, real Eames lounger. New production, though, not vintage. The new ones can be had in a "tall" option. At 6'4", I don't fit the vintage ones very well. We got ours from the Design Within Reach store in Charlotte, NC - they have a once a year 25% off sale. It's a hefty investment, but totally worth it, IMO. Ours was a bit more than $4K, even at 25% off.

Quote:
Interested in the story there. Cat door? How do you keep it off that beautiful chair?!
Yes, cat door and we keep him off it with much anxiety and worry.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-04-2020, 05:50 AM   #644
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Ooooo, it's going to look so good! You guys have all the MCM furniture and trimmings. I half way expect to see a shot of Don Draper lounging in your living-room with a glass of Scotch.

You have my chair you lucky SOB! I've been lusting over an Eames recliner for about 30 years. Is it the real deal or a knock-off? I met a woman at a party this past summer who works for a company that designs all of Amazon's interior spaces in Seattle. She can get the real deal Herman Miller version (black leather with walnut, of course) at cost. She offered to hook me up. It's still $4k. I just...can't...do...it... I found a knockoff on amazon that is advertised as full grain Italian leather. $1500. Before I could move on it, it disappeared. Damn.

Interested in the story there. Cat door? How do you keep it off that beautiful chair?!
Oh, and I just found out there is a Herman Miller outlet about 80 miles from us. That might spell trouble, though I think it's more office stuff than home stuff. We shall see.
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11446.00
PoorLurker1135.00
      01-04-2020, 06:08 AM   #645
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Sorry, I didn't take a before pic, we live in an old home in the historic district of Niagara on the Lake, Ontario. We've had the house for 5 years and have been doing the rooms one at a time. This is a small bathroom, probably the original as we have two other ensuite's now. This is tiny, 6'x6' with 9 foot ceilings. So I put shiplap on the walls and some rustic shelves up, new fixture on the bathtub, with a new sink and sink on a small kitchen cart we had in a previous house to replace the pedestal sink that was there before and a fresh coat of paint. A big improvement IMHO.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11446.00
PoorLurker1135.00
      01-04-2020, 08:00 AM   #646
e90alpinem3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
all projects on hold until March.
Speaking of spring - we're planning on a small platform deck off the back door. You have any thoughts on brands of composite decking?
We used azek decking for our project (posted on this thread somewhere a few pages back!) but love the stuff. Very solid and super easy on maintenance. Use their plug fill system and zero screw holes which gives it a nice finished look. Pm me if you want more pics I know some are on here from a while back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-04-2020, 12:37 PM   #647
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
This is tiny, 6'x6' with 9 foot ceilings.
Tiny?! Wait till you see what I've been working with. 8'x4'! We jokingly call it our "airplane bathroom." Will post up some pics soon. Just wrapping up the final coat on the vanity I built.

Love the tile you have on the floor! Did you do it or is it original? Wood paneling looks great. Cozy cabin kind of feel. Nice for those cold winters up there.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      01-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #648
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Sorry, I didn't take a before pic, we live in an old home in the historic district of Niagara on the Lake, Ontario. We've had the house for 5 years and have been doing the rooms one at a time. This is a small bathroom, probably the original as we have two other ensuite's now. This is tiny, 6'x6' with 9 foot ceilings. So I put shiplap on the walls and some rustic shelves up, new fixture on the bathtub, with a new sink and sink on a small kitchen cart we had in a previous house to replace the pedestal sink that was there before and a fresh coat of paint. A big improvement IMHO.
Gorgeous!
      01-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #649
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Tiny?! Wait till you see what I've been working with. 8'x4'! We jokingly call it our "airplane bathroom." Will post up some pics soon. Just wrapping up the final coat on the vanity I built.

Love the tile you have on the floor! Did you do it or is it original? Wood paneling looks great. Cozy cabin kind of feel. Nice for those cold winters up there.
Original tile, I didn't want to change it for something that might have worked better with the wood.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #650
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Comfortable seating is worth every penny.

Ask my wife, she just bought the cloud couch from Restoration Hardware.

I just can't wait for the plumber to finish installing the toto/washlet in the master bath today. I need to have taco bell for dinner to really see what this washlet is all about.
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #651
DETRoadster
Rep

Finally finished our remodel of the world's smallest 3/4 bath. Just 32 sqft. A real challenge for 2 people to work in there together and not kill each-other. Did all the work ourselves including building the vanity and milling our own base molding from some mahogany that we salvaged from elsewhere in the house. The only thing we had professionally done was loading up the truck with the demolition debris and hauling it away to the dump!

Had to buy a wide angle lens attachment for my iPhone to get better shots of the "after" results. Wishing I had it earlier for the "before". You cant really tell from the before photos but the ceiling of the old shower was dropped a foot. Made it like a little pink tile cave in there. Terrible. We did manage to recondition and save the original 1965 light above the vanity, the light in the shower, and the wash towel holder to the left of the mirror.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 01-04-2020 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 5
Salty Dog3572.50
Ickdeep5706.00
      01-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #652
ToddBlack88
Private First Class
Rep

Great job! Wallpaper is not my taste, but it all looks great!
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #653
DETRoadster
Rep

[QUOTE=ToddBlack88;25644208]Great job! Wallpaper is not my taste, but it all looks great![/QUOT]

Ha! Don't hate on my Dr. Seuss on mushrooms wallpaper. Yeah, it was admittedly a bold choice but whatever, we will love it and whomever buys the house form us can rip it out on day 1 if they want.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      01-04-2020, 10:57 PM   #654
ToddBlack88
Private First Class
Rep

No, I think it all works together quite well
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 05:51 AM   #655
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Finally finished our remodel of the world's smallest 3/4 bath. Just 32 sqft. A real challenge for 2 people to work in there together and not kill each-other. Did all the work ourselves including building the vanity and milling our own base molding from some mahogany that we salvaged from elsewhere in the house. The only thing we had professionally done was loading up the truck with the demolition debris and hauling it away to the dump!

Had to buy a wide angle lens attachment for my iPhone to get better shots of the "after" results. Wishing I had it earlier for the "before". You cant really tell from the before photos but the ceiling of the old shower was dropped a foot. Made it like a little pink tile cave in there. Terrible. We did manage to recondition and save the original 1965 light above the vanity, the light in the shower, and the wash towel holder to the left of the mirror.

Great work!

Both bathrooms we have are on the list, too, with the master getting a small extension so we can actually fit a dual sink vanity in there.

I like the wallpaper - we're going with terrazzo tiles and a wallpaper feature wall in our guest bath.

We're actually going to be putting pink (not Pepto, more grapefruit) back into our master. Inspiration was from the Eichler Palms master bath:
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Salty Dog3572.50
DETRoadster11446.00
Ickdeep5706.00
MKSixer34171.50
      01-05-2020, 06:17 AM   #656
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=DETRoadster;25644441]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddBlack88 View Post
Great job! Wallpaper is not my taste, but it all looks great![/QUOT]

Ha! Don't hate on my Dr. Seuss on mushrooms wallpaper. Yeah, it was admittedly a bold choice but whatever, we will love it and whomever buys the house form us can rip it out on day 1 if they want.
My wife and I have been together for 15 years and owned 5 houses. I don't mind renovating but hate moving, the last house I refused to put the quarter round down in the kitchen and a few other finishing touches for over a year because I knew as soon as I did she'd want to sell and move. The newest house I've ever lived in was about 70 years old, the rest have all been over 100. We live in a historic town (Niagara on the Lake), right next to the Niagara River, I can see Fort Niagara in Youngstown New York from my front porch. We love it here and I'd really like to stay. Property values have doubled in the last 5 years since we bought, I'm hoping my wife doesn't lose her mind again.
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410880.50
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #657
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Great work!

Both bathrooms we have are on the list, too, with the master getting a small extension so we can actually fit a dual sink vanity in there.

I like the wallpaper - we're going with terrazzo tiles and a wallpaper feature wall in our guest bath.

We're actually going to be putting pink (not Pepto, more grapefruit) back into our master. Inspiration was from the Eichler Palms master bath:
Oh man, you know I'm a sucker for anythgin Eichler! Cant wait to see you take that one one!

We thought about extending that tiny bathroom but ultimately backed off on the idea. The house was very smartly designed with literally every plumbing fixture for 2 bathrooms and the laundry room sharing a single drain line. Bumping the bathroom wall out to gain us a few extra feet of space would have meant moving that main trunk over a few feet and relocating the drains for a tub, shower, 2 sinks, 2 toilets, washing machine, and laundry sink. Oh, and literally EVERY supply and drain line in the house is copper! Even the vent stacks are copper. No kidding. Copper prices must have been rock bottom in 1965. Can you imagine wandering into Home Depot today to grab a 3 inch diameter solid copper pipe to use as a vent stack?

Appreciate 2
Ickdeep5706.00
      01-06-2020, 07:14 AM   #658
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Oh man, you know I'm a sucker for anythgin Eichler! Cant wait to see you take that one one!
The master bath project will be a year or two down the road, but I'll post pics!

You should check out the "desert Eichlers" - this developer (https://kudproperties.com/) bought the rights to some original Eichler/Anshen and Allen floor plans and built a new Eichler neighborhood in Palm Springs. Pretty cool - the husband/wife team from HGTV Stay or Sell owns that Eichler Palms house and rent it out on Air BnB.

Quote:
We thought about extending that tiny bathroom but ultimately backed off on the idea. The house was very smartly designed with literally every plumbing fixture for 2 bathrooms and the laundry room sharing a single drain line. Bumping the bathroom wall out to gain us a few extra feet of space would have meant moving that main trunk over a few feet and relocating the drains for a tub, shower, 2 sinks, 2 toilets, washing machine, and laundry sink. Oh, and literally EVERY supply and drain line in the house is copper! Even the vent stacks are copper. No kidding. Copper prices must have been rock bottom in 1965. Can you imagine wandering into Home Depot today to grab a 3 inch diameter solid copper pipe to use as a vent stack?

Good lord, no. A lot of things were "better" and a lot of things were "worse" back in the mid-60s, I reckon. It would be an interesting time travel experience, though, I have no doubt.

Thankfully for us, this bathroom extension shouldn't require relocating any major plumbing.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-06-2020, 07:45 AM   #659
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
You should check out the "desert Eichlers" - this developer (https://kudproperties.com/) bought the rights to some original Eichler/Anshen and Allen floor plans and built a new Eichler neighborhood in Palm Springs. Pretty cool - the husband/wife team from HGTV Stay or Sell owns that Eichler Palms house and rent it out on Air BnB.
Headed to Palm Springs in March for our annual "get out of the rain and get some sun" adventure. Will have to go check that out. Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #660
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Headed to Palm Springs in March for our annual "get out of the rain and get some sun" adventure. Will have to go check that out. Thanks for the tip!
It's pricey, IIRC - but they've got it full of legit Eames/Knoll/Pearson/etc furniture and such.

I'm betting there are others in the neighborhood that are also vacation rentals, though.

If we ever build again, the house WILL have a central courtyard and tons of glass like most of the Eichlers do.
Appreciate 0