BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-22-2023, 01:42 PM   #45
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
I bought an LCI M60i coming out of an X5 M50i. The changes are in reality quite minimal and very positive unless you are a person who is adamantly opposed to anything new which it seems as if there a few here who are in that camp.
Things change, everything changes, and they will change whether any of us as individuals are on board or not.
I know a guy who still drives his '84 Buick and uses a 50s era Royal mechanical typewriter with carbon paper and a lifetime stock of ribbons. Does anyone want to be that guy?
The changes that are appearing in BMW products are parallels of what MB, Lexus, Cadillac, Audi, etc., are currently employing and rapidly becoming industry standards.
The days of minimalistic analog gauges and every sqaure inch of console and dashboard space decorated with 75 buttons and switches are gone. Might as well accept it as none of that is coming back just for traditionalists and neither are chrome bumpers and four barrel carburetors.
I've been driving a 2024 M60i for two months now and can tell you that so far it is the best vehicle I have ever owned and I've had 911s, Z06s, BMWs, V-Series Cadillacs, Cayennes, Yukon Denalis, Escalades, more than I can count.
This is an attitude, frequently expressed here, that I have difficulty understanding.

First, I will repeat what I said above: I am genuinely happy that your new vehicle suits. Everyone has their own sensibilities and requirements for a car (and for everything else for that matter), and the LCI meets your needs. Congratulations! Couldn't be happier for you.

The idea that only a luddite would dislike the changes made between pre/post LCI is simply inaccurate and frankly insulting. The very fact that I purchased a hybrid as technologically complex as the 45e is a pretty clear indication that I am not averse to new tech.

Here are just a couple of things I found about the LCI that would drive me crazy if I owned the car:

1. I got in the car and it was hot. Although set to auto, the fan was blowing at an imperceptible rate. On my car, this would have been a single touch on a single centrally located button. To fix that on the LCI I had to open the climate screen, then hit a mark on the main screen. When I did, and thus moved from very low" to "low," the volume of air increased by an order of magnitude and the noise sounded as if I had been strapped to the wing of a 737. No good for me.

2. I listen to 3 different terrestrial radio stations (one AM and 2 FM), my USB, and on occasion a couple of different Sirius stations. I am firmly devoted to not listening to anyone's commercials. In my car, to change between the radio stations takes a single touch on a single centrally located button. On the LCI I have to navigate to the media screen, selection the band, then select the stations, or, I assume set up the thumbwheel on the steering wheel, which would still require multiple steps to bring up, scroll through, and then select the proper preset. No good. For me.

3. The air duct on the left side of the steering wheel is bordered by a thick silver plastic band. Where I have the seat adjusted, the duct is also aligned so the image of that band is constantly reflected in the rear view on the door. It would bother me every time I checked the rear view.

In my view, basic operations should be dead easy and immediately accessible. They aren't in this car. My wife, who listens to the local NPR affiliate and pretty much nothing else, never adjusts the station and accordinly is fine with the UI in her Lexus; it would drive me insane. She's not wrong; neither am I.

And neither are you in deciding what irritates you. But you are profoundly and flamboyantly incompetent to decide what irritates me.

(Also I will never, ever own a car that has auto stop/start that cannot be defeated. Maybe there is a setting for this; I did not look. But I would never buy a non-electric version of this car anyway)

Last edited by cellarrat; 09-22-2023 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 5
arRod1981912.00
tooloud10766.50
maka00718.50
nZtiZia4652.00
      09-22-2023, 02:03 PM   #46
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I think 84 Buick is the one end of the spectrum. Now if I change it to 84 Porsche 911, everything changes. I bet many car enthusiasts will want one, but cannot obtain one.
      09-22-2023, 02:11 PM   #47
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Understood. However, I'm not talking about "interior designs" and buttons. IMO, what makes the X5 what it is is the exterior more so than the interior,...as the exterior is seen first by all.

I don't think BMW considers what Mercedes, GM, or any other manufacturer is doing with their designs. Their too focused on 'BMW' designs.

Just my opinion.
It is not about opinions. The industry trends are plainly obvious.
Much larger grills, elimination of analog guages, expanded much larger LCD screens, etc.
The BMW X5 has had very minor changes with the current LCI and the average person would likely not even notice.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 02:31 PM   #48
cellarrat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Much larger grills, elimination of analog guages, expanded much larger LCD screens, etc.
The BMW X5 has had very minor changes with the current LCI and the average person would likely not even notice.
It isn't about industry trends. You said that the changes made were "very positive unless you are a person who is adamantly opposed to anything new which it seems as if there a few here who are in that camp." This is, to be precise, bullshit.

I could have said, but didn't, that you are merely an average person whereas anyone with a little refinement and discernment would find some of the changes objectionable. But that would have been obnoxious. I am not sure what it is about people who insist that anyone with a different view on things has to be somehow defective.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
      09-22-2023, 02:51 PM   #49
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
And neither are you in deciding what irritates you. But you are profoundly and flamboyantly incompetent to decide what irritates me.

(Also I will never, ever own a car that has auto stop/start that cannot be defeated. Maybe there is a setting for this; I did not look. But I would never buy a non-electric version of this car anyway)
Agree with the first point. Obvious troll is troll, etc.

Re the second point, I find that the EV motor in the 45e is sufficient to compensate for this, for me, although I would tend to agree with respect to an ICE vehicle without such.
Appreciate 1
cellarrat517.00
      09-22-2023, 02:55 PM   #50
cellarrat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
Agree with the first point. Obvious troll is troll, etc.

Re the second point, I find that the EV motor in the 45e is sufficient to compensate for this, for me, although I would tend to agree with respect to an ICE vehicle without such.
Yeah I know the 45e has a stop/start function, but in reality I have only encountered it a few times. I love me some electric mode
Appreciate 1
sigmabody185.00
      09-22-2023, 03:03 PM   #51
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It isn't about industry trends. You said that the changes made were "very positive unless you are a person who is adamantly opposed to anything new which it seems as if there a few here who are in that camp." This is, to be precise, bullshit.

I could have said, but didn't, that you are merely an average person whereas anyone with a little refinement and discernment would find some of the changes objectionable. But that would have been obnoxious. I am not sure what it is about people who insist that anyone with a different view on things has to be somehow defective.
I could care less what you like or don't like, refinement, discernment, or otherwise and to include your sanctimonius crap in the process of elevating yourself here.
I merely point out what trends in the automotive industry are abundantly clear to anyone with eyesight. Unfortunately this simple verbage appears to have pushed a few of your buttons.
Hope you find a vehicle that is able to satisfy your level of "refinement and discernment" or maybe one that you can afford.
Lets face it not everyone has the ability to purchase a 100K+ upper level SUV. You can bet your ass that a few of the LCI haters are in that crowd.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 04:08 PM   #52
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Not to pick on anyone in particular but I'm always amused and amazed that one (myself included on occasion) would consciously enter a pissing contest with a complete stranger on a social media forum.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day

Last edited by LDT; 09-22-2023 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
cellarrat517.00
      09-22-2023, 04:19 PM   #53
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Not to pick on anyone in particular but I'm always amused and amazed that one would consciously enter a pissing contest with a complete stranger on a social media forum.
Those that do generally don't last long. They either give up and leave when folks don't engage or they get banned. There was another member from FL that was really obnoxious, he got banned, snuck in with another account awhile later and banned again. Last I saw he was causing the same issues on another forum, some people have weird pastimes. We had a member here who would make things up and purposely try to mislead people into believing them. Unfortunately he was very good at it so there was always a lot of correcting and clarifying that needed to be done. Thankfully he got bored an moved on.
LDT1539.50
      09-22-2023, 05:00 PM   #54
Crusje
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I like how the cope for not having buttons is that the industry is changing. Plenty of car companies still have buttons. I'm not a brand loyalist. There's a reason I didn't go audi or mb this time. I'll just vote with my wallet.
Appreciate 2
tooloud10766.50
JMD637.00
      09-22-2023, 05:10 PM   #55
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

Quote:
Hope you find a vehicle that is able to satisfy your level of "refinement and discernment" or maybe one that you can afford.
Lets face it not everyone has the ability to purchase a 100K+ upper level SUV. You can bet your ass that a few of the LCI haters are in that crowd.

This is completely unnecessary.
LCI models are mostly under 100k (talking about US), and it doesn't make them "lower" level SUVs. By your logic, you must be hating 200k+ cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 05:19 PM   #56
cellarrat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Not to pick on anyone in particular but I'm always amused and amazed that one (myself included on occasion) would consciously enter a pissing contest with a complete stranger on a social media forum.
An excellent point and a conversation I just had with myself. After I made my points I should have just bowed out. I have now
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 05:59 PM   #57
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
This is completely unnecessary.
LCI models are mostly under 100k (talking about US), and it doesn't make them "lower" level SUVs. By your logic, you must be hating 200k+ cars.
Yeah OK, I never referred to any "lower" level vehicles and never mentioned anything over 200K. I understand that you may not agree with me but no reason to fabricate.
Anyway you want to look at it these vehicles are all changing in a similar fashion. This is a tough one for some people but that won't stop change.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 06:03 PM   #58
Gene Horr
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Quote:
... I listen to 3 different terrestrial radio stations (one AM and 2 FM)...
Then the LCI (or at least the 50e) REALLY isn't for you. No AM as far as I can tell.

Ducking and running...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 06:06 PM   #59
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusje View Post
I like how the cope for not having buttons is that the industry is changing. Plenty of car companies still have buttons. I'm not a brand loyalist. There's a reason I didn't go audi or mb this time. I'll just vote with my wallet.
Obviously vehicles still have buttons, just not as many of them. Like it or not it is the trend.
This reminds me of the conversion from analog guages to glass panels in aviation. The old school traditionalists projected the same simple minded denial.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 06:24 PM   #60
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Horr View Post
Then the LCI (or at least the 50e) REALLY isn't for you. No AM as far as I can tell.

Ducking and running...
No AM in LCI X5?
X6 still had it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 06:30 PM   #61
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
No AM in LCI X5?
X6 still had it.
No fun without the old push button presets.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 07:01 PM   #62
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I mean, I don't want to throw fuel on the fire, but just to make the point: the most "forward facing" SUV in terms of minimalist designs, automotive power plant trends, and LCD controls, is under $40k, per the manufacturer's front-page claim (see: https://www.tesla.com/modely). So... yeah.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 07:05 PM   #63
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
I mean, I don't want to throw fuel on the fire, but just to make the point: the most "forward facing" SUV in terms of minimalist designs, automotive power plant trends, and LCD controls, is under $40k, per the manufacturer's front-page claim (see: https://www.tesla.com/modely). So... yeah.
Probably a fine vehicle if one is looking for a glorified golf cart.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 11:30 AM   #64
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:

...The BMW X5 has had very minor changes with the current LCI and the average person would likely not even notice.
To an extent,...I agree; however, the 'average' X5 owner would notice. I think that's safe to say.