BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-25-2023, 11:29 AM   #1
Stryderboy
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 50E

Picking up our new X5 50e

Our stop sale has cleared and we are picking up our week 30 car at the dealership on Thursday. This is the most expensive car purchase for us and I was wondering if there are pre-delivery items we should be on the lookout for.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
bandersen588.50
      09-25-2023, 01:19 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The battery should be fully charged...it's on their checklist, but not all do that. They should also have ensured the iDrive tire selection is set and that the tires are properly inflated, another thing often overlooked.

You'll probably want to have the expert help you to enable your phone as a key assuming it is compatible, and walk you through some of the things in iDrive, as, while fairly intuitive, you'll want to ensure you know how to adjust the HVAC.

One thing that is useful to know is how to get the wipers to move to a position where you can more easily clean the windshield (basically, push the wiper stalk down and hold until they go up and stop).

The rear doors have child safety locks, so make sure they are in the position you want. If the doors are locked, and you want to exit, if you don't hit the unlock button, pulling the release twice will open the door. Have them show you how to turn the interior motion sensor off if you leave someone or say a pet inside and want to lock the doors.

The dash vents can be warmer or cooler, and that can be a big thing for some people's comfort...have them show you how to adjust that. This is idependent of the overall setting for the cabin.

If you haven't been reading the user's manual, you really should, as there are lots of things the vehicle can do (and some it can't) that you need to be aware of.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2023, 02:00 PM   #3
Gene Horr
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Before you sign the paperwork make sure that you get a 220V plug for the charger and if you receive the pieces of cr*p noisy run flat tires they replace them with good models. Don't let them BS you into thinking that they will fix the noise problem later.

Take the time to learn how to set the options. You may go through several software updates in the next few weeks and sometimes settings are lost.

Bring any phones you want tied to the vehicle with you. The linking process is pretty easy to DIY but it doesn't hurt to make sure everything is connected and working.

In addition to everything jad03060 mentioned I would stress to read the user manual. Yes, it is pretty bad and very limited in info. But while it may not tell you how X feature works or how to configure it, at least you are aware that X feature is available and then usually Google will come to the rescue for actual information.

Last of all spend time on this site!
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2023, 02:21 PM   #4
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Horr View Post
Before you sign the paperwork make sure that you get a 220V plug for the charger and if you receive the pieces of cr*p noisy run flat tires they replace them with good models. Don't let them BS you into thinking that they will fix the noise problem later.
Also, don't expect the dealer to buy you new tires or a 220V plug unless you're paying MSRP or they owe you a ton of goodwill.
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2023, 02:21 PM   #5
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

Congrats on the new vehicle. It is always exciting when you go to see and pick a new car for the first time!

I would also do a check on the exterior and interior just to make sure there are no scratches or dings etc. Unlikely but can happen.

Personally, I would not be concerned about run-flat tires. Some people like them others not so much. I think they are manufactured better than they were years ago - I have no concerns with them (except they cost more).
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2023, 02:34 PM   #6
bimmerwhale
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryderboy View Post
Our stop sale has cleared and we are picking up our week 30 car at the dealership on Thursday. This is the most expensive car purchase for us and I was wondering if there are pre-delivery items we should be on the lookout for.

Thanks
Can you post some pics please? Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 04:13 PM   #7
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I would make sure you download the mybmw app on your phone and set up an account. YOu can even add the car now, although it will be only in a special pre-delivery mode for now. Once you get to the dealer, you or they can properly enable it with the car.

This is an important step because without proper profile the car isn't as functional.

Then its normal stuff. Panel alignment. Check the trim for scratches. Check the seats, etc. Check the tires and rims for scratches and other marks. Check the glass
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 04:21 PM   #8
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Make sure the BMW Navigation Map is activated. It's part of the pre-delivery inspection, but I know 2 people (one with a 50e, and another with a 330e) who have taken delivery and discovered the BMW map would not display.

Easy thing to miss since most people pair their phones and look at Carplay.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2023, 04:30 PM   #9
Stryderboy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwhale View Post
Can you post some pics please? Congrats!
I certainly will!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 04:44 PM   #10
Stryderboy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The battery should be fully charged...it's on their checklist, but not all do that. They should also have ensured the iDrive tire selection is set and that the tires are properly inflated, another thing often overlooked.

You'll probably want to have the expert help you to enable your phone as a key assuming it is compatible, and walk you through some of the things in iDrive, as, while fairly intuitive, you'll want to ensure you know how to adjust the HVAC.

One thing that is useful to know is how to get the wipers to move to a position where you can more easily clean the windshield (basically, push the wiper stalk down and hold until they go up and stop).

The rear doors have child safety locks, so make sure they are in the position you want. If the doors are locked, and you want to exit, if you don't hit the unlock button, pulling the release twice will open the door. Have them show you how to turn the interior motion sensor off if you leave someone or say a pet inside and want to lock the doors.

The dash vents can be warmer or cooler, and that can be a big thing for some people's comfort...have them show you how to adjust that. This is idependent of the overall setting for the cabin.

If you haven't been reading the user's manual, you really should, as there are lots of things the vehicle can do (and some it can't) that you need to be aware of.
Thanks! I really appreciate all the info you provided. I've been reading the manual but there is so much to learn. I did not know about the iDrive tire selection so thanks for that too.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 04:48 PM   #11
Stryderboy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
I would make sure you download the mybmw app on your phone and set up an account. YOu can even add the car now, although it will be only in a special pre-delivery mode for now. Once you get to the dealer, you or they can properly enable it with the car.

This is an important step because without proper profile the car isn't as functional.

Then its normal stuff. Panel alignment. Check the trim for scratches. Check the seats, etc. Check the tires and rims for scratches and other marks. Check the glass
Thanks! Both my wife and I have downloaded the app and set up our account. We used it a bunch tracking the manufacturing and delivery status. We'll make sure to get help in setting up our profiles.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 04:49 PM   #12
Stryderboy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
Make sure the BMW Navigation Map is activated. It's part of the pre-delivery inspection, but I know 2 people (one with a 50e, and another with a 330e) who have taken delivery and discovered the BMW map would not display.

Easy thing to miss since most people pair their phones and look at Carplay.
Thanks, I added this to our list
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 04:52 PM   #13
Stryderboy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Horr View Post

Take the time to learn how to set the options. You may go through several software updates in the next few weeks and sometimes settings are lost.

Bring any phones you want tied to the vehicle with you. The linking process is pretty easy to DIY but it doesn't hurt to make sure everything is connected and working.

In addition to everything jad03060 mentioned I would stress to read the user manual. Yes, it is pretty bad and very limited in info. But while it may not tell you how X feature works or how to configure it, at least you are aware that X feature is available and then usually Google will come to the rescue for actual information.

Last of all spend time on this site!
Thanks, I have been all over this site and learned lots. I ended up buying the 220v plug a while back and I believe it is the correct version.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 06:14 PM   #14
Line Drive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
This happened to me. The good news is I got a 8.5 upgrade out of it, but worthwhile checking on this.

Lot of good advice in this thread.

One useful thing is connecting with the dealership's genius. You're going to be totally overwhelmed on delivery day. But connecting with and visiting the genius in about a week or two on iDrive settings will be really useful, at least it was for me on things I couldn't figure out with online research or readily with the manual.

Congrats!
      09-25-2023, 09:27 PM   #15
wxdave
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
Also, don't expect the dealer to buy you new tires or a 220V plug unless you're paying MSRP or they owe you a ton of goodwill.
I asked about a gratis 220V plug at delivery and literally got laughed at. Was just given the phone number of the parts department. And yes, paid MSRP. Not thrilled.
      09-26-2023, 08:34 AM   #16
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line Drive View Post

One useful thing is connecting with the dealership's genius. You're going to be totally overwhelmed on delivery day. But connecting with and visiting the genius in about a week or two on iDrive settings will be really useful, at least it was for me on things I couldn't figure out with online research or readily with the manual.

Congrats!
This is important. At my dealer the genius offered to spend as much time on delivery day as I wanted. After an hour or so I felt like I was taking too much of his time, it was past time for lunch, and I thought I could figure the rest out for myself.

Bad decision on my part. Like the tire thing. They didn't set it for the right tires, so my inflation information was wrong and it took me 6 months to realize it. The manual is massive and not especially well written, but you should still read it. You'll forget half of it but you can always use the version on iDrive when you need to.

Take all the time you need at the dealer. And have lunch first.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 08:59 AM   #17
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
This is important. At my dealer the genius offered to spend as much time on delivery day as I wanted. After an hour or so I felt like I was taking too much of his time, it was past time for lunch, and I thought I could figure the rest out for myself.

Bad decision on my part. Like the tire thing. They didn't set it for the right tires, so my inflation information was wrong and it took me 6 months to realize it. The manual is massive and not especially well written, but you should still read it. You'll forget half of it but you can always use the version on iDrive when you need to.

Take all the time you need at the dealer. And have lunch first.
Yeah, the owners manual is a book. You really have to wonder what percentage of X5 adopters read the entire manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 10:56 AM   #18
Stryderboy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Yeah, the owners manual is a book. You really have to wonder what percentage of X5 adopters read the entire manual.
I've decided to initially peruse the index section and then pick the topics that are of interest or have been talked about on this forum. I'll eventually make my way through all of it but it will take time.
Appreciate 0