BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-28-2023, 07:55 PM   #1
BlackBeamer80
Rep
Drives: 530i M Sport

MPGe vs MPG

I'm a little confused on how the MPGe is advertised. I completely understand its based on how you drive among a variety of different variables.

But... the sticker price states an epa rating of MPGe at 58. Assuming you are at a full charge, make an assumption that the conditions are perfect, your tank is full, and you maintain those perfect "EPA" conditions, how far can I drive while sustaining that 58 MPGe? Can I go for the duration of the entire tank or will I exhaust that higher efficiency once I exhaust a certain number of miles?

Also, there i a battery hold button in the 50e to save your battery for later. I'm having a difficult time understanding why would someone do that. What would be the point? You either use it now or later right?

Lastly, what is the mpg of the gas when there isn't a charge in hybrid mode? Is it the same as the 40i, better, or worse?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 08:10 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
answers to all of your questions have already been answered in various threads
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 08:25 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

MPGe is based on the amount of energy in a gallon of gasoline compared with the amount of KW and the relative efficiency in that vehicle if it's run on its EV motor.

The EPA uses 33.7Kwhr as the energy equivalent of a gallon of gasoline.

FWIW, the MPGe on the i3 I had was about 123, and it weighed about half of what the X5 PHEVs do, so since it was designed specifically from the ground up to be as efficient as possible, getting about 2x the MPGe seems about in line.

Last edited by jad03060; 09-28-2023 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0