BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-02-2023, 02:25 PM   #111
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
That is the funny part, I never said that. You keep making things up in your posts. That is okay though, from your short time here it is evident you will be one of those posters who will be ignored due to posting misinformation and will eventually just leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
You should have gone with the M60i if a faster vehicle was a priority.
Unless your electric is free there is not much in the way of actual savings with these current PHEVs.
There are several well done threads here on this forum that break down the actual costs and potential savings. Unfortunately for some there is actually no savings at all on electric.
I did go with the M60. The 50e would have saved me considerable money on fuel, but the concern over the Hybrid coolant valve controller was something I could not ignore.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 02:36 PM   #112
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps your inability to read? That post is in regards to the S68 and the B58 TU2 engines coming out last year in the X7.
Looks who’s revising now? Were you seriously trying to use a non-hybrid variant to extrapolate how a PHEV variant would perform? I would think most reasonable people would agree that adding a PHEV element to a vehicle is a rather large change.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 02:40 PM   #113
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=eelnoraa;30702134]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3PO View Post
Whatever makes you feel better, apologies for not using MPG MPGe or whatever other terminology. Fact remains for everyday use and for those with a home charger the 50e is going to save you a lot of money on gas and allow you to have a faster car than the x40 when needed, given consistent use of the electric and hybrid modes.

That is completely not true blanket statements. It is not what I or any want to believe. It is data record. Whether Edrive operation is cheaper than gas is a function of electricity cost vs gas cost. I have a 45e for 1.5 years, with record of gas and electricity costshow it to you that $/mile for Cali resident is higher for Edrive simply because our electricity is expansive. We pay upward of $0.55 per kWh, and we are looking at a possible 12% increase in 2024.

Now mpge, please do some math on how bmw come up with that number, before believing it.
Ok, you win. Is it ok if I say for my situation the 50e would have saved me a lot of money?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 02:45 PM   #114
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Looks who’s revising now? Were you seriously trying to use a non-hybrid variant to extrapolate how a PHEV variant would perform? I would think most reasonable people would agree that adding a PHEV element to a vehicle is a rather large change.
Prior to posting you really need to read and understand the posts that people make. Nothing has been revised as I was simply referring to the B58TU2 engine. That engine is in the 50e and has been discussed in many threads there is nothing special about it in the PHEV application. You constantly are ignoring what is posted. I have said multiple times in this thread that I'm not comparing engines, being critical of the engines, saying there are problems, etc. Of course the adding a PHEV component can have effects on the drivetrain reliably but that was not what I have ever been discussing.

You need to keep in mind that many people come to this forum for information so when there is questionable info posted it should be corrected/clarified for future readers. The original posting you replied to was very questionable in its wording and information so that is why the question to your response. Just wanted it to be clear that the S68 was in its first year of usage in the X5 M60i and only been in use a bit over a year at this point.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 12-02-2023 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 03:39 PM   #115
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Prior to posting you really need to read and understand the posts that people make. Nothing has been revised as I was simply referring to the B58TU2 engine. That engine is in the 50e and has been discussed in many threads there is nothing special about it in the PHEV application. You constantly are ignoring what is posted. I have said multiple times in this thread that I'm not comparing engines, being critical of the engines, saying there are problems, etc. Of course the adding a PHEV component can have effects on the drivetrain reliably but that was not what I have ever been discussing.

You need to keep in mind that many people come to this forum for information so when there is questionable info posted it should be corrected/clarified for future readers. The original posting you replied to was very questionable in its wording and information so that is why the question to your response. Just wanted it to be clear that the S68 was in its first year of usage in the X5 M60i and only been in use a bit over a year at this point.
I personally don’t care what you were trying to convey, seriously, I am not being an ass, simply honest.

You interjected yourself into a comment about the 50e and it’s new drivetrain where I clearly replied with “engine/drivetrain”.

Regardless of what you thought the topic was about or the narrative you wanted to control it really doesn’t matter. I was discussing a common phenomena with first year models and the typical gremlins that they can have.

For example, the new Tundra had a wastegate issue in their hybrid max motor. Within 6 months, prior to the release of the new sequoia with the same motor, they had resolved the issue for the most part.

Rather than lecturing me on reading you should try to understand what people are discussing instead of being the arbiter of truth.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have never given you the courtesy of a response after your initial snarky response, let alone your continued pompous attitude here and on other posts. It’s apparent that you enjoy being a big fish in a small pond, so enjoy as this will be my last reply to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 03:45 PM   #116
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I personally don’t care what you were trying to convey, seriously, I am not being an ass, simply honest.

You interjected yourself into a comment about the 50e and it’s new drivetrain where I clearly replied with “engine/drivetrain”.

Regardless of what you thought the topic was about or the narrative you wanted to control it really doesn’t matter. I was discussing a common phenomena with first year models and the typical gremlins that they can have.

For example, the new Tundra had a wastegate issue in their hybrid max motor. Within 6 months, prior to the release of the new sequoia with the same motor, they had resolved the issue for the most part.

Rather than lecturing me on reading you should try to understand what people are discussing instead of being the arbiter of truth.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have never given you the courtesy of a response after your initial snarky response, let alone your continued pompous attitude here and on other posts. It’s apparent that you enjoy being a big fish in a small pond, so enjoy as this will be my last reply to you.
Believe me, I and many others, will. This forum is here to discuss and provide information for current and future members. Since you seem to be here to provide soliloquies rather than participating in the on-going discussons it likely will be best the more you don't respond.

Take it easy and good luck and be safe with the M60i.
      12-03-2023, 03:46 AM   #117
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

[QUOTE=eelnoraa;30702134]
Quote:
Whatever makes you feel better, apologies for not using MPG MPGe or whatever other terminology. Fact remains for everyday use and for those with a home charger the 50e is going to save you a lot of money on gas and allow you to have a faster car than the x40 when needed, given consistent use of the electric and hybrid modes.

That is completely not true blanket statements. It is not what I or any want to believe. It is data record. Whether Edrive operation is cheaper than gas is a function of electricity cost vs gas cost. I have a 45e for 1.5 years, with record of gas and electricity costshow it to you that $/mile for Cali resident is higher for Edrive simply because our electricity is expansive. We pay upward of $0.55 per kWh, and we are looking at a possible 12% increase in 2024.

Now mpge, please do some math on how bmw come up with that number, before believing it.
No telling what the price per kWh will be in 5 years, probably 75 cents or more. PGE is a publicly traded for-profit corporation, and every time someone installs solar panels, they lose another profitable customer. So now they must resort to price gouging natural gas and over charging for electricity. I read the tea leaves and had solar installed. Energy infrastructure in California is completely FUBAR because of greed and woke climate alarmism.
Appreciate 2
Mixitt372.00
1Boxer34.50
      12-03-2023, 09:53 AM   #118
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

[QUOTE=Giggler;30703274]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post

No telling what the price per kWh will be in 5 years, probably 75 cents or more. PGE is a publicly traded for-profit corporation, and every time someone installs solar panels, they lose another profitable customer. So now they must resort to price gouging natural gas and over charging for electricity. I read the tea leaves and had solar installed. Energy infrastructure in California is completely FUBAR because of greed and woke climate alarmism.
12% increase is supposed to be in the cards for yinz real soon('24).
That is like 62 cents/kw/hr. No way anything electrified is cheaper at that point. Maybe every rooftop in CA is covered with solar panels now, wouldn't know, haven't lived there in many years.
Our relatives who haven't left CA have nothing good to say about that place.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 04:41 PM   #119
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post

12% increase is supposed to be in the cards for yinz real soon('24).
That is like 62 cents/kw/hr. No way anything electrified is cheaper at that point. Maybe every rooftop in CA is covered with solar panels now, wouldn't know, haven't lived there in many years.
Our relatives who haven't left CA have nothing good to say about that place.
The current PGE bill, ToU-C, tier 2 off peak rate is 0.408 + 0.127 (delivery + generation), total of 0.535/kWh.

On Jan 1, 2024, it is approved that a 12.8% increase to take places, making this 0.60/kWh. 45e/50e will do about 2mi/kwh before charging lost, charging lost on L2 is 16%, making $/mile = $0.36/mile

https://gvwire.com/2023/11/16/pge-ra...ve-been-worse/

Gas price last fill up (Thursday), 91 at costco sunnyvale, $3.99. 45e will average 22MPG if I don't charge. Making $/mile = $0.18/mile. this is half of eDrive cost.

This is what we are facing in CA. Green wash everyone into buying EV yet, no one or very few like me will do the match and think it doesn't make sense. I will say it again, if you don't have solar, if you don't get free charging at office, EV makes no sense for most of CA residents.

Last edited by eelnoraa; 12-03-2023 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
RPA888840.50
Giggler408.00