BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-22-2022, 06:13 AM   #45
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking60 View Post
Besides other things mentioned on here the first thing to do is replace all key fob batteries. Weak voltage can send out garbage signals and unaided key bounce. Dealer is supposed to change at certain intervals but did they, did they use new batteries, did they have both key fobs.
Nothing here applies to me but the key fob battery is one I will definitely replace today.

One strange thing I noticed beneath remote history is a log entry for a failed Climatize Now event at the time of the remote start. I thought Climatize Now events can only come via the My BMW app?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 07:18 AM   #46
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
Nothing here applies to me but the key fob battery is one I will definitely replace today.

One strange thing I noticed beneath remote history is a log entry for a failed Climatize Now event at the time of the remote start. I thought Climatize Now events can only come via the My BMW app?

Thanks
Is it possible that the failed climatize event, which is where the remote start is located and the reason to do a remote start, was an earlier attempt to remote start that for some reason was delayed till you actually found the car running. Take a look at the date/time stamp on the failed climatize event and think back to around that time whether you or anyone who has access to your car, tried to remote start it.

I recall others, quite some time ago, posted that they hit remote start but the car never started. Then at some future time, they found the car had started up in the garage. Using cellular connectivity to remote start is a cool feature but in the end, it depends on too many things in the communication chain working properly. Once the signal is sent from your phone, there are a lot of dependencies before it gets to your car. Each one being a chance for error, delay, data loss, latency, etc, etc. Just thinking out loud
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 07:55 AM   #47
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:

Thanks
Is it possible that the failed climatize event, which is where the remote start is located and the reason to do a remote start, was an earlier attempt to remote start that for some reason was delayed till you actually found the car running. Take a look at the date/time stamp on the failed climatize event and think back to around that time whether you or anyone who has access to your car, tried to remote start it.

I recall others, quite some time ago, posted that they hit remote start but the car never started. Then at some future time, they found the car had started up in the garage. Using cellular connectivity to remote start is a cool feature but in the end, it depends on too many things in the communication chain working properly. Once the signal is sent from your phone, there are a lot of dependencies before it gets to your car. Each one being a chance for error, delay, data loss, latency, etc, etc. Just thinking out loud
I did conduct a remote start via the app last weekend that did not work but, I immediately tried from the key fob to start the vehicle, and since have started a few times after.

Yesterday morning when this occurred, no previous attempts to start were made. The key fob and iPhone were sitting on the table and the vehicle had not been used that morning.

The day before this occurred, I did apply a few BimmerCode changes but nothing related to remote start that I recall. BimmerCode module changes that I believe are not related to remote start may have some underlying effects. I applied the same BimmerCode changes in the past and did not experienced this remote start problem though. I'm just trying to think of any thing I did recently.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 09:56 AM   #48
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Now it happened to my 2019 X5, No app used, car parked for several days and good FOB battery. Wife keeps her key in pocketbook in a loose side pocket. She had just sat it down, upright and nothing really touching the key. I turned the setting off. Still have warranty till early next year so will try not to laugh when they say nothing is wrong. Do you know what it takes to mash that button three times really fast?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 12:40 PM   #49
madlaw1071
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 X6 xdrive M40i Flamenco Red

My 21 X6 randomly restarts after I shut it off and exit the vehicle. I have the key fob in my hand ruling out accidental presses. It is both annoying and dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 12:44 PM   #50
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

For those stating their cars auto start without being told to do so, may I ask you this....do you have Remote Start enabled in iDrive? I guess I am hoping you all do
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 10:46 AM   #51
lefizzet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 X3 M40i

I have a 2022 x3, but same thing has happened to my car numerous times. Also, even if I don't catch it on, I know it randomly turned on over night when I get in to start the car in the morning and the parking brake is engaged. I NEVER engage the parking brake myself when I park the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 06:14 PM   #52
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
For those stating their cars auto start without being told to do so, may I ask you this....do you have Remote Start enabled in iDrive? I guess I am hoping you all do
Yes
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 06:16 PM   #53
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefizzet View Post
I have a 2022 x3, but same thing has happened to my car numerous times. Also, even if I don't catch it on, I know it randomly turned on over night when I get in to start the car in the morning and the parking brake is engaged. I NEVER engage the parking brake myself when I park the car.
BMW should also send a text once the car is started. Mercedes does this. I believe my parking brake automatically engages once the car is turned off.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 07:25 PM   #54
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

yes, my auto start was on but no longer. Loss of a nice feature. I'll call the dealer then report it if they have no fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 07:32 PM   #55
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking60 View Post
yes, my auto start was on but no longer. Loss of a nice feature. I'll call the dealer then report it if they have no fix.
Thanks, I was wondering if anyone who has ever experienced their car auto starting had Remote Start disabled. That would really be scary.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 06:01 AM   #56
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

there's a scheduled start setting the app - that could be it
      10-07-2023, 07:36 AM   #57
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

This has happened once after a dealer visit and a software update. I took the car in to have the steering column replaced. BMW tech did the latest software update (I was not happy about this as the car was functioning properly) as the car was returning a small fault (I had told the SA that they need to ask me if I wanted a software update). The tech did it without even telling the SA. It was a bit frustrating.

When I was picking up the car, while on the service area to be picked up, the car randomly started itself. I found it odd. The key fobs I have are in the BMW cases, which is extremely hard to press the lock key three times. I also checked the pre condition and none of those are activated so I was not sure what it was. I have not seen it do it again, but I am keeping an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #58
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

I recall a Twilight Zone episode where this guy did a hit and run, and afterwards, his car took on autonomous behavior, driving the guy into a frenzied state to where he ultimately confessed to the crime.

Have any of you hit a prairie dog as of late?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 11:00 AM   #59
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
I recall a Twilight Zone episode where this guy did a hit and run, and afterwards, his car took on autonomous behavior, driving the guy into a frenzied state to where he ultimately confessed to the crime.

Have any of you hit a prairie dog as of late?
'55 Ford in that episode, just on here last week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 11:15 AM   #60
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 11:33 AM   #61
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

^^^^^That is on this week, I think AMC.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 03:33 PM   #62
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Honorable mention
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 09:00 PM   #63
Edubya
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Raptor

this just happened to me:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2#post30638132

I will say, my FOB as the primary driver and using it a lot more than the wife, my key has been acting up, like, its not recognizing when walking up to car, it's not locking when walking away etc. I did replace the battery, but admit it was from a batch of CR2032's I've had in my drawer for a while. Maybe I'll Fluke it and see what the voltage is.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 08:17 AM   #64
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
this just happened to me:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2#post30638132

I will say, my FOB as the primary driver and using it a lot more than the wife, my key has been acting up, like, its not recognizing when walking up to car, it's not locking when walking away etc. I did replace the battery, but admit it was from a batch of CR2032's I've had in my drawer for a while. Maybe I'll Fluke it and see what the voltage is.
Try a NEW 🪫
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 0