10-14-2023, 01:06 PM   #1
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
'22 X5 45e Alignment Issue; Then BMW Damaged It

So, I dropped off our 45e at the dealer because there was this squeaking noise coming from behind the driver's seat when going over bumps. Turns out it was the rear seat cushion that says airbag on it flexing with the vehicle. You just barely had to push on it and it squeaked.

I had a 4 wheel alignment done on 07/28, and on 10/01 I was finally able to stretch her legs as I went to Dallas for a week to visit my Corp office (I WFH 100%). Let them know during my drive up to Dallas when I was using DAPP it was ping-ponging a lot, and when I let go of the steering wheel it pulled to the right pretty quickly. They couldn't find anything wrong with the suspension or tires, and said that I would have to pay for another alignment. Pretty pissed about that as it has only been 2.5 months and 1,800 miles since the alignment, of which 800 of those miles was all highway. SA said he asked several people about a warranty since the alignment was recent, but he was told no by every one he spoke with. The results came back the alignment was bad. I can't get a response on how it goes from good to bad in 2.5 months. Haven't hit any curbs, potholes, or anything.

Top picture is from the alignment done on 07/28, and bottom 3 pictures are from today. Thoughts?

Edit: gets better!! They hit something on the highway during the test drive after the new alignment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 02:41 PM   #2
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Alignment within 2.5 months is not normal. In they kind of time, the only way alignment can be off is if you have relatively large impact to the wheels/tires, such as hitting severe pot holes or drive into curb with some speed. Alignment is not a time defined maintenance item, it is more of a as needed item. People can go for 10 year 100k mile without needing alignment. I guess my first question is did you hit some pot holes or curbs?

Drifting to the right when let go of steering on highway can be normal, because typically highway slope slightly toward outside (right side of the travel), if this slope is large, car will drift toward right. Because looking at the “before” measurements, I don’t think alignment is off enough to be concerned.

Last possibility I can thjnk if was previous alignment wasn’t done right.
      10-14-2023, 02:50 PM   #3
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Alignment within 2.5 months is not normal. In they kind of time, the only way alignment can be off is if you have relatively large impact to the wheels/tires, such as hitting severe pot holes or drive into curb with some speed. Alignment is not a time defined maintenance item, it is more of a as needed item. People can go for 10 year 100k mile without needing alignment. I guess my first question is did you hit some pot holes or curbs?

Drifting to the right when let go of steering on highway can be normal, because typically highway slope slightly toward outside (right side of the travel), if this slope is large, car will drift toward right. Because looking at the “before” measurements, I don’t think alignment is off enough to be concerned.

Last possibility I can thjnk if was previous alignment wasn’t done right.
I'm an honest person and would own up to hitting anything, I have not hit any potholes, curbs, etc. The roads where I live and travel are fairly new/updated so extremely smooth.

When I let go of the wheel I made sure the road was flat and straight. The initial test drive before the alignment they noticed it pulling to the right as well. After the new alignment, prior to them hitting something, they said it tracked straight and only ping-ponged once.

Because of the accident they are obviously going to not charge for the alignment. The SA fully believes the alignment was not done correctly the initial time, and had it been done correctly they/we wouldn't be in this accident situation.
Appreciate 0