BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-28-2023, 01:41 PM   #23
Kgerry59
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardmember View Post
Hell I’m of the age one can’t count the decades on a single hand and I’m completely cool with having learned the screen functions on my LCI. And on the occasion I’m perusing some submenu and discover something new, it’s an enjoyable surprise.

I’m a little older than my wife and when she wanted to replace her Lexus GX 460, what did we get? A V8, 6speed, three-ton 2023 version of her old one. It has some buttons though but fewer than the older one.

Get the car she likes. Or if she’s paying, let HER get the car she likes. You never mentioned if GF likes/dislikes buttons.
I had three GX's before I went to GLE and then an X5. My god, those GX's guzzle the gas. I don't regret at all moving away from that chassis.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 01:45 PM   #24
Boardmember
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Oh I don’t disagree. I picked a C Class out of her tire tread just yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 07:12 AM   #25
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Spent a lot of time with the San Antonio dealership yesterday, with the CA and the sales manager. The LCI has NOT been well received by customers nor employees for the same reasons expressed in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 08:31 AM   #26
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
Spent a lot of time with the San Antonio dealership yesterday, with the CA and the sales manager. The LCI has NOT been well received by customers nor employees for the same reasons expressed in this forum.
Good thing that they talked you out of buying one!
That is a salesman's job, right?
Do you honestly think that anyone reading your post would believe that nonsense?
Laughable.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 08:31 AM   #27
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Yet they can’t keep them in stock here. You keep pounded your narrative as long as it makes you happy.
Appreciate 3
cobramite1227.50
hiluca69.50
      11-29-2023, 10:35 AM   #28
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Taste is, of course, subjective; a lot of people also didn't like the "enormous grill" trend, and yet BMW stuck with it, at least until recently (not quite to the Lexus level of absurdity, but probably second place in that area). With the "screwed on afterthought" dashboard design, they are somewhat copying Tesla, which is a shame (imho), since Tesla isn't exactly known for their quality or luxury. That said, people buy vehicles based on a balance of properties, and even if everyone hates the dashboard design (which is not true; in the selection of reviews I've seen, it's only probably 75% which dislike it), the X5 still has a lot of positive qualities.

I'm kinda an anomaly, I suppose, in my subjective tastes: I really dislike the "afterthought" dashboard design, but I don't mind the lack of physical buttons as much (I don't "like" it, but I don't hate it either). As an example, I like the new Porsche Cayenne dashboard design, which is similar in the amount of physical controls, but vastly better in terms of an integrated and good design. I feel like it's possible to do a "less physical buttons" design which is still nice, and doesn't look like you just glued some iPads to the dash and called it a day.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 11:16 AM   #29
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

Quote:

I was at San Antonio dealership a month ago. They had four M4 cars in the showroom and only one X5. When I asked a sales advisor about it, he said they are moving X5s very quickly, they don't stay long enough at dealership.

According to you and your CA, things have changed in San Antonio in one month.

Agree with others here here, what's the point comparing X3 to X5 and X7? And why not include X1 too then?
Appreciate 1
hiluca69.50
      11-29-2023, 11:40 AM   #30
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm trying to get my girlfriend into a 2024 X3 30i. We test drive tomorrow. We've test driven the new Mazda SUV CX90 and the Genesis GV-80 and a few upscale Highlanders. The Mazda is beautiful but sounds like a threshing machine and is a tad sloppy on the road. Lady friend does not like the noise level of the Highlander, plus it's a bit plain Jane. The Genesis is over the top but many have had mechanical problems such as differential failures on the AWD models and the 100 mile free valet service lure is iffy as well as are other reported owner issues, see the Genesis forums. Car's ultra smooth, peppy quiet ride, controls, and features are awesome. Has everything going for it, but....I digress.

Why the 2024 X3 versus a X5 or X7? Because it's the last (smart) variant regarding the friendly conveniences and safety of buttons on the dash and steering wheel, ASS on/off control deletion.

This member made my point at the X3/X4 forum:

"What's interesting to me is the amount of feedback I'm hearing from friends/family who don't like a glorified iPad for a dashboard and control interface. This includes a fair number of techies. That might help G01's retain some value as they'll be the last generation that uses buttons." https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...2064204&page=3

As an aside, any feedback on Sensa Tec (or Sensafin) versus Vernasca leather is welcome! https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2064541
I read the thread you linked. That whole thread is about how fast an X3 has depreciated. And that's the one with buttons.

Then one person talks about feedback from friends/family who don't like glorified iPad. Based on that feedback you think X3 with buttons is going to become a collector item???

"Feedback from friends/family". How many of them are driving these glorified iPads? One, two, three? And that's a reference point? Sounds very much like one ex-president, "people are saying I'm the best". Who are these people, who are these friends and family?

What a post about X3 with buttons in "glorified iPad" forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 01:44 PM   #31
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
I was at San Antonio dealership a month ago. They had four M4 cars in the showroom and only one X5. When I asked a sales advisor about it, he said they are moving X5s very quickly, they don't stay long enough at dealership.
Interesting, they have 38 2024 X5's listed now. Word is they heard an entourage of Beemer fanboys from San Francisco were on their way. https://www.bmwofsanantonio.com/

"They sell as fast we get them" yada yada. That's the oldest trick in the book. (Better get yours fast!)

You people are funny!

FAIL
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 02:16 PM   #32
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Interesting, they have 38 2024 X5's listed now. Word is they heard an entourage of Beemer fanboys from San Francisco were on their way. https://www.bmwofsanantonio.com/

"They sell as fast we get them" yada yada. That's the oldest trick in the book. (Better get yours fast!)

You people are funny!

FAIL
lol no thanks we have lots of dealership around the area. X5 is at 10% discount, X3 at 17-20% and IX at 20%+ off MSRP before incentives. No need to go far and buy expensive.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 02:33 PM   #33
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

You people are funny!

FAIL
As already mentioned, there are multiple dealers in Bay area, no need to get my car from San Antonio (instead, I got it from Spartanburg, so yes, I'm a fan boy).

Enjoy your girlfriend's X3 with buttons. I like any BMW, with or without buttons.
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2032.50
      11-29-2023, 02:52 PM   #34
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:

You people are funny!

FAIL
Dealer listings are meaningless as customer sold vehicles are listed. Very often the actual number of vehicles available are a very small percentage of those listed.
chicagofan0019152.00
      11-29-2023, 03:06 PM   #35
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
When I asked a sales advisor about it, he said they are moving X5s very quickly, they don't stay long enough at dealership.
While there has been a little slow down due to the economy that is pretty much the general state of sales for the X5. Comparing year over year this should be the second highest selling year in the X5 history only trailing last year which set all types of records. Looking at the monthly sales, May - Sep were the second highest selling in X5 history for the respective months.
X6ix GTA142.00
arRod1981912.00
WagonFan271.50
      11-29-2023, 03:07 PM   #36
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
lol no thanks we have lots of dealership around the area. X5 is at 10% discount, X3 at 17-20% and IX at 20%+ off MSRP before incentives. No need to go far and buy expensive.
Really?

Pix or it doesn't exist.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 03:19 PM   #37
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Dealer listings are meaningless as customer sold vehicles are listed. Very often the actual number of vehicles available are a very small percentage of those listed.
Exactly. Most of the listings "on order" are sold. I've ordered several bmw's and I always see them show up on the dealers website as a listing shortly after the salesperson puts the order in.

And, I'm a button guy. I think they should have left the buttons for the heated/cooled seats and radar cruise distance. But, having said that, you get used to the new screens. It's not that bad. And the new screens are glorious. Super high resolution, clear and large. Going back now would be like trading my Samsung oled s22 for a blackberry.
Appreciate 2
Giggler408.00
WagonFan271.50
      11-29-2023, 03:46 PM   #38
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Really?

Pix or it doesn't exist.
Sorry I’m wrong it is 12-13%
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 03:54 PM   #39
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
As already mentioned, there are multiple dealers in Bay area, no need to get my car from San Antonio (instead, I got it from Spartanburg, so yes, I'm a fan boy).

Enjoy your girlfriend's X3 with buttons. I like any BMW, with or without buttons.
Totally agree. There are quite a few dealers within 50 miles of SF. And if nor Cal isn't enough, we will first look sou Cal. Texas/San Antonio, not so much.
      11-29-2023, 04:14 PM   #40
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
I'm trying to get my girlfriend into a 2024 X3 30i. We test drive tomorrow. We've test driven the new Mazda SUV CX90 and the Genesis GV-80 and a few upscale Highlanders. The Mazda is beautiful but sounds like a threshing machine and is a tad sloppy on the road. Lady friend does not like the noise level of the Highlander, plus it's a bit plain Jane. The Genesis is over the top but many have had mechanical problems such as differential failures on the AWD models and the 100 mile free valet service lure is iffy as well as are other reported owner issues, see the Genesis forums. Car's ultra smooth, peppy quiet ride, controls, and features are awesome. Has everything going for it, but....I digress.

Why the 2024 X3 versus a X5 or X7? Because it's the last (smart) variant regarding the friendly conveniences and safety of buttons on the dash and steering wheel, ASS on/off control deletion.

This member made my point at the X3/X4 forum:

"What's interesting to me is the amount of feedback I'm hearing from friends/family who don't like a glorified iPad for a dashboard and control interface. This includes a fair number of techies. That might help G01's retain some value as they'll be the last generation that uses buttons." https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...2064204&page=3

As an aside, any feedback on Sensa Tec (or Sensafin) versus Vernasca leather is welcome! https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2064541
I ordered a 2023 X5 xDrive 40i in January 2023 because I didn't like the new upcoming 2024 dash with that one screen and lack of gear shifter and glad I did. Now looking for a 2021-2023 X3 for my wife because I want her to experience the BMW's handling, excellent. Make sure you get the Harmon Kardon audio system. The Sensofin seats are great, they grip you, excellent for fast sporty driving on back roads if you know what I mean. I prefer the Sensafin to leather as with leather you tend to slide a bit in your seat.
Appreciate 1
Mixitt372.00
      11-30-2023, 12:52 AM   #41
BigEvan1923
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI G07 M50i E46 M3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
I’m not your friend, Guy.
Im not your guy, buddy.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 10:46 AM   #42
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Count me as one of the many LCI owners here who own or have owned iDrive 7 cars and prefer the iDrive 8.5 interface. I had some frustrations at first with losing shortcut buttons and HVAC, but I quickly adapted. I seriously roll my eyes at the people who either judge without experience or are refusing to adapt. The truth is the new curved screen provides a better cockpit view and better ability to interface with the car’s functionality. I originally didn’t like 8.5 but I quickly adapted and now I’m a huge fan of this car.

There’s a few folks here who proudly admit they intentionally bought one of the remaining 2023’s instead of a LCI 2024 specifically because of the buttons and I can’t help but laugh at how foolish of a decision that was because they’re missing out on some substantial engine and technology upgrades that make it a much better car overall in terms of power, efficiency and technology… all because of a misguided refusal to adapt to a new interface.
Appreciate 5
spoodle174.00
Heavyd865.00
WagonFan271.50
      11-30-2023, 10:50 AM   #43
vimalbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Technology advances all the time. Either adapt or be left behind. I seriously don't understand whats the big deal about the unified screen. 5 years from now, that will be the norm across all auto manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 12:42 PM   #44
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Count me as one of the many LCI owners here who own or have owned iDrive 7 cars and prefer the iDrive 8.5 interface. I had some frustrations at first with losing shortcut buttons and HVAC, but I quickly adapted. I seriously roll my eyes at the people who either judge without experience or are refusing to adapt. The truth is the new curved screen provides a better cockpit view and better ability to interface with the car’s functionality. I originally didn’t like 8.5 but I quickly adapted and now I’m a huge fan of this car.

There’s a few folks here who proudly admit they intentionally bought one of the remaining 2023’s instead of a LCI 2024 specifically because of the buttons and I can’t help but laugh at how foolish of a decision that was because they’re missing out on some substantial engine and technology upgrades that make it a much better car overall in terms of power, efficiency and technology… all because of a misguided refusal to adapt to a new interface.

Not sure how you can say it was a foolish decision since you aren’t in their shoes. If someone is adverse to the screen, lack of buttons, iDrive, etc. then the new engine, technology, etc. will likely not provide them with the enjoyment of the new vehicle as they will be aggravated with the cockpit experience.

We would hope people will embrace new technology but if it is not a necessity and just something dealing with a pleasure item to each their own.
Appreciate 2
dan149568.50
eelnoraa2032.50