Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '22 X4 M40i / '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
'24 X5 M60i  [0.00]
'22 X4 M40i  [0.00]
"Unlock doors at end of trip" setting does not stick

Hard to believe I would be the only one experiencing this issue with 2024 X5, but I could not find anyone else complaining about this here. So, unlikely SW issue with iDrive 8.5, and I must be doing something wrong...

This setting is working without any glitch on my 2022 X4, so I believed I know how to set up the car to unlock all doors at the end of trip, or perhaps upon putting it in P.
Yet still, when I enable the following options on the 2024 X5:

Name:  Selected.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  154.2 KB

the two options in question will remain selected for a day (I went back to the menu and checked, plus all doors unlocked at the end of the trip as they should), but next morning those two same options go back to default (inactive) options:

Name:  Inactive.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  140.5 KB

Pretty annoying, since there is no CA on the rear doors (as we all know) and when I try to take child or anything from a back seat, I have to go back to front door handle to unlock the remaining three passengers doors.

What am I doing wrong? Anyone else experiencing this?

The car has currently only one Driver Profile set up (mine), tied to single keyfob I use, all the other settings in the menu are sticking to the profile, as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 03:27 PM   #2
dbull2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5; 2017 Audi Q7

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
For what its worth. Seems to me you don't need to select both. Maybe it's one or the other. End of trip is when you turn off car? If so, then it is probably already in park and the doors are already unlocked. If you only want to unlock doors at end of trip don't select unlock on P. Pick just one and see what happens.
Appreciate 2
Treeboy228.00
dwwStL161.50
      01-16-2024, 04:30 PM   #3
Treeboy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
'24 X5 M60i  [0.00]
'22 X4 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull2 View Post
For what its worth. Seems to me you don't need to select both. Maybe it's one or the other. End of trip is when you turn off car? If so, then it is probably already in park and the doors are already unlocked. If you only want to unlock doors at end of trip don't select unlock on P. Pick just one and see what happens.
Thanks, that was my plan for today. Will check the status tomorrow and report back.
I am not sure why the system would allow to enable both, if there is a conflict forcing switch back to default over night, but it is worth trying for sure.
Appreciate 1
dwwStL161.50
      01-21-2024, 02:44 AM   #4
Treeboy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
'24 X5 M60i  [0.00]
'22 X4 M40i  [0.00]
I can confirm that this solution works. I just had to tick only one of those two options.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 08:23 AM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeboy View Post
I can confirm that this solution works. I just had to tick only one of those two options.
Sorta confusing the way BMW implemented this but in the end, which one did you choose to enable to get it to work?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 05:58 PM   #6
Treeboy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
'24 X5 M60i  [0.00]
'22 X4 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Sorta confusing the way BMW implemented this but in the end, which one did you choose to enable to get it to work?
I have tested both options individually. Each seems to work on its own. I have it currently set to unlock when in P.

I never paid that much attention to this with the X4 I guess, and with the new shifter and no need to select P at the end of the trip, it seems little confusing about when is the ignition actually off. Over the past days, there was one occasion when I thought I pressed the start button, opened the door and was leaving the car and not only the other doors stayed locked, even the radio stayed on. So I think I will have to be careful to make sure I press P and then the start button. The doors unlock with selecting P and upon opening the driver door the car shuts down.
I do not even know at this point what is the definition of "end of trip".

Another thing I wish to figure out is not to have the car wake up upon opening the front passenger door. It drives me nuts when I want to drop off something on the front seat in the evening, and the radio starts playing, both screens lit up etc., and I need to shut everything down by holding the radio volume button.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 06:19 PM   #7
dbull2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5; 2017 Audi Q7

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Good deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 07:51 AM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
I have tested both options individually. Each seems to work on its own. I have it currently set to unlock when in P.

I never paid that much attention to this with the X4 I guess, and with the new shifter and no need to select P at the end of the trip, it seems little confusing about when is the ignition actually off. Over the past days, there was one occasion when I thought I pressed the start button, opened the door and was leaving the car and not only the other doors stayed locked, even the radio stayed on. So I think I will have to be careful to make sure I press P and then the start button. The doors unlock with selecting P and upon opening the driver door the car shuts down.
I do not even know at this point what is the definition of "end of trip".

Another thing I wish to figure out is not to have the car wake up upon opening the front passenger door. It drives me nuts when I want to drop off something on the front seat in the evening, and the radio starts playing, both screens lit up etc., and I need to shut everything down by holding the radio volume button.
The car has so many permutations of settings that it's hard to compare notes on the forum at times because we don't always know a persons settings. There are some aspects of the car I just do out of habit without much thought and parking and turning it off is one so as I read your reply I was trying think how I do it. I was also thinking about how my wife does the same. She hardly drives it so pretty much forgets how it works, but in any event, here's a memory dump.. ..

Mine is a pre LCI.. ..

- Me: I pull into the parking spot, press P on the shifter followed immediately by pressing the start button while my foot is still on the brake.
Result: The car goes into Park, the engine continues to run till I press the Start/Stop button and then it shuts off and goes into Standby State and if I have music playing, it continues to play because its in Standby State. The music will play and the LCD screens will be lit until either I lock the car or it times out even if left it unlocked. I don't recall what my settings are

- Wifey: She pulls into the parking spot and then presses the Start/Stop button. Right, she bypasses pressing P on the shifter. The engine stops at the same time it goes into Park (the P lights up) and while her foot is still on the brake and then goes into Standby State. The rest is the same as when I do it.

Here's a brief from the manual.. ..

1. Engage selector lever position P with the vehicle stopped.
2. Set the parking brake.
3. Press the Start/Stop button.
4. The engine is switched off. The vehicle switches into standby state.

So I think what you are experiencing is Stanby State when you say the radio stays on and the screens are still lit. This is normal behavior, my former X3 did the same thing. Actually, I kinda like it because as I unload the car from a trip, the music is still playing.

Mine wakes up as soon as it detects the presence of the key fob, which is mostly me touching the handle of the car. I don't recall if you can change a setting and tell it not to but somehow I don't recall seeing such a setting. If you left the car with the radio off, it will not start playing when you open the door. I wouldn't be concerned that it does this because it will time out and shut back off automatically.

Last edited by Marty in NY; 01-23-2024 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
Treeboy228.00