BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Is BMW backing away from their Remote Control Parking feature?

When BMW launched the new G12 7 Series, G32 6 Series GT, and G30 5 Series, one of the big features they were showing off was the Remote Control Parking via the Display Key. However, none of the new models that have come out since include this functionality. Specifically, the G01 X3, G15 8 Series, G29 Z4, G05 X5, G20 3 Series, and G07 X7 do not have this option available.

Its absence from the X3, Z4, and 3 Series is understandable since those are more entry level products, but it's surprising that they have not included this feature on any of the higher end models that have come out this year. It leads me to wonder if they are moving away from this technology altogether.

Has anyone heard anything about why they aren’t offering this on their newer models? Granted it probably isn’t the most popular feature and is usually seen as kind of gimmicky, but why not at least make it available as an option?
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      10-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You may want to do a bit more searching because many of the new models (especially the higher end) not only have park assist...but BMW is now coming out with "parking assist plus" and "reverse (backup) assist" which will back the car up out of a tight space based on recent forward movement (that got you stuck)

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
roxxor
Major
Rep

Yes, I am well aware of the Reversing Assist on the G05 X5, etc. I am specifically referring to option 5DV - Remote Control Parking, which lets you use the Display Key to move the vehicle in or out of a parking space while standing outside the vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Nice play on words with the thread title OP.

My 2008 has an auto reverse function when the parking brake is not engaged. I found this out first hand when it hit me in my own driveway. My roundel bruise was nothing shy of a trophy.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
When BMW launched the new G12 7 Series, G32 6 Series GT, and G30 5 Series, one of the big features they were showing off was the Remote Control Parking via the Display Key. However, none of the new models that have come out since include this functionality. Specifically, the G01 X3, G15 8 Series, G29 Z4, G05 X5, G20 3 Series, and G07 X7 do not have this option available.

Its absence from the X3, Z4, and 3 Series is understandable since those are more entry level products, but it's surprising that they have not included this feature on any of the higher end models that have come out this year. It leads me to wonder if they are moving away from this technology altogether.

Has anyone heard anything about why they aren't offering this on their newer models? Granted it probably isn't the most popular feature and is usually seen as kind of gimmicky, but why not at least make it available as an option?
It's being integrated into BMW Digital Key/Connected app on users' personal device rather than requiring the separate Display Key.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #6
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
It's being integrated into BMW Digital Key/Connected app on users' personal device rather than requiring the separate Display Key.
That would definitely be a welcome change as most of the feedback around the Display Key has been about it's bulkiness. I just find it odd that it isn't mentioned on any of those vehicles, there are no separate parts for it as there are on the 5, 6, and 7, nor any demo videos.
Appreciate 0