BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #89
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

Spoke with a Genius today who's been great helping me through issues, including resolving my WiFi issue. I also spoke to him about the other software issues today like the safety features. He confirmed that if you feel that they aren't working properly then it needs to be serviced. There wasn't anything he said he could tell me to do other than bring it in.

He also said there are some major updates in the hands of dealers that can't be sent OTA so they could potentially resolve the other software bugs I discussed with him.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:04 PM   #90
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

When I asked the Genius at my delivery yesterday about all these concerns regarding lack of collision avoidance systems/automatic breaking he seemed surprised. He wasn't aware, and said "they should all be working but I guess it's hard to test it out". They were sure working on the F15 I returned. And indeed how do I know if they aren't working on my new car?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:42 PM   #91
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

yesterday when the front half of the stereo quit working had to call genius and while on the phone ask about the corner lights and he said after a 5 minute hold that they were just the fog lights and would come on with turn signal. i ask about the wifi and car play when i had to call today when half the heads up display quit working and they said an update was coming. something about the software being comparable with Canada and Germany. This whole experience just seems kinda crazy. Oddly with so many gremlins popping up daily im almost used to it. I am still on the tank of gas that came with the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #92
cygnusecks
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
He confirmed that if you feel that they aren't working properly then it needs to be serviced. There wasn't anything he said he could tell me to do other than bring it in.
What's the definitive, simple test for if the automatic braking is working or not? Drive at 20mph into a sofa cushion wall and if it doesn't brake, then your car is broken? I'd like to show up at the dealer with a video (showing the outside and inside of the car) and say "fix this now". Instead of wishy-washy "I think it might not be working according to people on the internet".

I believe automatic braking is designed only to kick in under certain situations, so wondering what that might be.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56244.50
      01-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #93
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusecks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
He confirmed that if you feel that they aren't working properly then it needs to be serviced. There wasn't anything he said he could tell me to do other than bring it in.
What's the definitive, simple test for if the automatic braking is working or not? Drive at 20mph into a sofa cushion wall and if it doesn't brake, then your car is broken? I'd like to show up at the dealer with a video (showing the outside and inside of the car) and say "fix this now". Instead of wishy-washy "I think it might not be working according to people on the internet".

I believe automatic braking is designed only to kick in under certain situations, so wondering what that might be.
Yeah... that test doesn't work for whatever reason and no one can explain to me the conditions for which it engages.

The AEB conversation was at the end of the numerous issues I was going over with both the Genius at corporate and my SA. The issues I brought up were known and they have possible software fixes, with one being a hardware change if the software fix doesn't work. The AEB they're going to test with BMWs testing procedure.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:42 AM   #94
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep

Today while driving down the road with cruise control it was following traffic just fine even though they had slowed down the x5 also slowed down. Traffic then cleared and gave me a couple blocks so the car went back up to about 35 and i could see traffic a few hundred feet in front of me stopped at a light.
The x5 never slowed down and i was required to make a panic stop. I held off as long as i thought i could. The x5 was going to crash into those cars at full speed.
Our q7 has never failed to recognize an object in front of the car. I need to be extremely careful since i am used to driving the audi. I am still not sure what is normal for the bmw.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #95
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
Today while driving down the road with cruise control it was following traffic just fine even though they had slowed down the x5 also slowed down. Traffic then cleared and gave me a couple blocks so the car went back up to about 35 and i could see traffic a few hundred feet in front of me stopped at a light.
The x5 never slowed down and i was required to make a panic stop. I held off as long as i thought i could. The x5 was going to crash into those cars at full speed.
Our q7 has never failed to recognize an object in front of the car. I need to be extremely careful since i am used to driving the audi. I am still not sure what is normal for the bmw.
Where you using ACC? ACC should come to a complete stop in traffic then go when the space opens up.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #96
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post

Where you using ACC? ACC should come to a complete stop in traffic then go when the space opens up.
I know the scenario that Magna is talking about. ACC does slow and bring the car to a complete stop when it has a lock on a vehicle in front of it. If you ease up on the vehicle, it will slow down and match its speed and even stop. However, I have noticed if you come up quickly on a stopped car (like one stopped at a traffic light), it either doesn't and react to it, or both Magna and I got a little too chicken and braked before the X5 did
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #97
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
You're not using ACC as intended. Mine in a 2018 X3 warms me to only use it in the correct settings. if you know cars ahead are stopped and you're going highway speeds ACC will basically panic stop but you did it first. The system has it's limits and applications so it's good to understand what they are. I've driven 15k+ miles in my current BMW with the same ACC system and I can tell you that there are times to not use it.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #98
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

It is very hard to find good info on all this, seems basic functionality is some city crash mitigation (under 37mph) and you need drive assistant plus or pro for highway speed intervention. With that it will swerve and or brake potentially. This is the 5 series video but seems to explain it pretty well

Also noticed in the video the 5 has this setting in the picture to adjust how early it comes on, I have seen the red car warning once or twice at low speed when someone cuts in front of me, but never the secondary warning about it - they don't say you won't crash, seems it will brake and still potentially hit the car in front of you just at a much lower speed, so doubtful many of us will see it kick in until it is past the point of possibly crashing, need to go buy one of those blow up cars to test with.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #99
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

I started another thread... But on my drive into work this am the car in front slammed on their brakes and I barely stopped in time. I received no visual warning on the console or HUD, no audible alert, and definitely no braking intervention. My F15 would give me all of those. Good luck out there!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #100
rs4eva
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

according to this, the Active Cruise Control with Stop and Go system will stop the car if needed.

and Active PDC should stop the car under 3mph

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #101
jcc285
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
I started another thread... But on my drive into work this am the car in front slammed on their brakes and I barely stopped in time. I received no visual warning on the console or HUD, no audible alert, and definitely no braking intervention. My F15 would give me all of those. Good luck out there!
This is the issue that I was having, no warning whatsoever. I did take it to the dealer. There was a “recall” on some of my driving assistance functions including frontal collision warning. They reprogrammed everything and at least I get the warning, it’s hard to test the breaking function because the vehicle waits till the last minute. Yours might need the be reprogrammed like mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 08:45 PM   #102
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep

i am at a disadvantage as this is my first bmw. i am expecting the features to behave like our 17 q7. If were approaching a vehicle going slower or stopped a big yellow triangle appears in the display indicating its getting ready if the car in front does anything. Also on the audi while parking or leaving the parking spot if the car anticipates a contact it slams on the brakes and puts the car in park. Tonight i pulled into the garage and there were some storage boxes in front of me and i continued to drive for with enough contact to move the boxes and no indicators,alarms or braking. could be normal for bmw i just dont know. i would like to hear from anyone who could explain what is normal for an x5. so far the x5 has the same level of safety options on my chev colorado which is basically just a rear camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #103
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
i am at a disadvantage as this is my first bmw. i am expecting the features to behave like our 17 q7. If were approaching a vehicle going slower or stopped a big yellow triangle appears in the display indicating its getting ready if the car in front does anything. Also on the audi while parking or leaving the parking spot if the car anticipates a contact it slams on the brakes and puts the car in park. Tonight i pulled into the garage and there were some storage boxes in front of me and i continued to drive for with enough contact to move the boxes and no indicators,alarms or braking. could be normal for bmw i just dont know. i would like to hear from anyone who could explain what is normal for an x5. so far the x5 has the same level of safety options on my chev colorado which is basically just a rear camera.
You should have had the obstical highlighted in green to yellow to red with a alarm tone at the yellow stage.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #104
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Make sure you have yours set to automatically turn on the park assistant.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:52 PM   #105
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc285 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
This is the issue that I was having, no warning whatsoever. I did take it to the dealer. There was a “recall” on some of my driving assistance functions including frontal collision warning. They reprogrammed everything and at least I get the warning, it’s hard to test the breaking function because the vehicle waits till the last minute. Yours might need the be reprogrammed like mine.
I just picked up my car Tuesday...and it spent the night before on the computer being updated. So it's gotta be as uptodate as it can be!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #106
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Just want to report I got the auto braking this morning in Greensboro. I heard sounds and saw yellow light flash.

Glad this works as advertised.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:16 AM   #107
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Just want to report I got the auto braking this morning in Greensboro. I heard sounds and saw yellow light flash.

Glad this works as advertised.
What firmware version are you on?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:15 AM   #108
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
What firmware version are you on?
3/2019.37
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #109
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

I just spoke to a BMW genius about it and he confirmed to me that you need the Drivers Assistant Plus package for the braking intervention to work for the PDC This is stupid considering PDC is a part of the parking package and the auto braking does work on ACC.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #110
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
I just spoke to a BMW genius about it and he confirmed to me that you need the Drivers Assistant Plus package for the braking intervention to work for the PDC This is stupid considering PDC is a part of the parking package and the auto braking does work on ACC.
That is not quite accurate, even with the Driving Assistance Pro (Plus hasn't been available since November) the option to activate the braking is not available from all reports.
Appreciate 0