BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #23
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

This is an awesome post! Thank you OP for taking the time to take these pictures etc. I agree, this was better and more informative than most online reviews. Glad it is in the "featured on bimmerpost" section for more exposure.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #24
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Fantastic write up thanks so much.

I've been thinking about replacing our 2013 and didn't like the last generation so I was excited for the G05. The legroom thing is bizarre but maybe the third row seating option will fix that. I have it on our current 2013 X5 and there is tons of legroom for taller adults in the second row particularly when it is slid all the way back (it's on sliders).
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #25
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Shit... from the looks of this it looks like I'm going to have to drop my old M for the new one come 2020..
      10-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #26
emulajavi
First Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW F56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
The top right button on the side door here is for the massage feature, but I can't figure out what the button below it is for, with the number 2 on the seat. (uh... pun here?) Anybody know?

When you press the button with the ‘2’, the seat controls of the driver’s seat will move the passenger’s seat.

It’s a very convenient feature for when you simply want to move the other side seat from your side or when a passenger steps into your car and doesn’t know very well how to adjust its seat. You press the ‘2’ and you can move the seat for him with your controls.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #27
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Damn, good to see the rear space in action
      10-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #28
Eins Suchtig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 SGM 128i MSport

Big theeth
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #29
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
They should mate the rear of the 2019 X5 (G05) with the front end of the 2018 X5 (F15). That would be a perfect match!

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #30
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Abuser View Post
Back seat seems tight. My pops has a new R-Design Volvo XC90, and I occasionally ride in the back for a family dinner etc.. We're both 6'1-6'2 and heavy set and have no issues on space. Might wanna check it out... We looked at the F series X5 but the Volvo was just superior in pretty much every way.[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
I know this keeps coming up over and over but hearing about the x5 and the x7 with small 2nd and 3rd row makes me think about Volvo's with T8. I hear you. Here come the flames.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #31
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The new model is visually a winner inside and out. Sure the front is a bit much but you can black out the kidneys or whatever.

Interior is finally modern whereas the F15's was a polished E70 from inside. Hopefully this new one feels more like the E70 to drive!
Couldn't agree more. I've spent a lot of time between the E70 LCI and F15, and it's incredible how many things are identical from brakes, trunk closing, light positions, glass, engine bay, motor (N55). Obviously though, a significant electronics upgrade in the F15, but it felt very much like an E70 to me.

This G looks awesome!
Appreciate 2
1230vani637.00
Germanauto9665.50
      10-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #32
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulajavi View Post
Quote:
The top right button on the side door here is for the massage feature, but I can't figure out what the button below it is for, with the number 2 on the seat. (uh... pun here?) Anybody know?

When you press the button with the '2', the seat controls of the driver's seat will move the passenger's seat.

It's a very convenient feature for when you simply want to move the other side seat from your side or when a passenger steps into your car and doesn't know very well how to adjust its seat. You press the '2' and you can move the seat for him with your controls.
Ok - now that is pretty sweet.
Appreciate 1
emulajavi421.50
      10-11-2018, 11:38 PM   #33
johnbenedict
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
I'm currently living and working in the Middle East. A few dealers in the region have the new G05 on display.

Took lots of pics. Adding some of my own personal thoughts and observations.

Differences immediately obvious between the F15 and G05. Both 50i models, comparing apples to apples. Obviously, from the front the biggest thing that grabs you is the massive grill. I've been concerned about it, but like others have said it does look better in person. Standing next to the G05 and looking around the rest of the dealership, every other model's grills looked anemic in comparison. Is this the new BMW standard? Maybe.

Overall, I really liked the G05 appearance in person. Was concerned about the grills and the rear end, but they're not that bad. (I'm not going to say "great", though)

G05 looks more athletic with the new lines, than the F15. You'll notice as you see details, these are Middle East (GCC) spec models.

Here you can also see the ground lighting when the driver's door is open.

And lots of pics of the G05 specifically. Here's what was posted for specs and info. Not a lot of details. Notice no price posted. There were several local Arabs also looking over the car. One said he had heard a local price equivalent to $128,000 USD which would be ludicrous, even for this local market. They were talking about heading to Range Rovers instead. They could have been mistaken, of course. I didn't ask.

Good looking laser lights. And turning them on from the driver's seat, they do appear do be very functional. Me likie. Just wish we got both low and high beams in the USA.

And I'm LOVING the big, aggressive, athletic front fascia vents in the front end. Make the car look very nice.

Very nice, big 22" rims and tires.

So... the grills. Yes. Big. No... BIIIIG. They do look better in person. Still big, but in person they don't overpower the whole car aesthetics so much. Yes, as others have said, I think the grills would look better blacked out. In chrome, it just adds SO much shiny bling to the front end.

Now, notice the front grill louvers. Yes, they open and close. Here are pics of them, in both the open and closed position. Feeling inside, they're just gloss black plastic. Yes, they're cool, but when they're closed, (and we don't know the programming yet as to when they're in each position) if it's while the car's driving, they're just going to rapidly accumulate bugs and grime, and I think the grill's going to get very grody very quickly and look bad.

... aaaaaand the back end. To be honest, seeing pics before seeing the car in person, I think I was more concerned about this than anything else. There's SO much vertical real estate on the back end, and in pics it looks flat and boring. (and to me, looks like a cross of Kia and Jeep) But in person, the styling lines and dimensionality of the back end does make it look much better.

In particular, the tail lights are much better than I feared. While they're still the same translucent red plastic as ever, they're much more 3 Dimensional than before, which makes them look good, more athletic, and aggressive. I've tried to capture the 3 Dimensionality in some of these pics, including from the inside with the trunk open.

Nice trunk. As you can see, this model has a spare tire and no 3rd row seating. The trunk floor lifts up with a nice oil-damped piston to assist the lift, and then keep it raised. Nice touch.

Buttons on the right wall inside the trunk.
Front to back, (left to right in pic) a 12V outlet, button to electronically stow or deploy the tow hitch, a flippable hook to hang trunk cargo (i.e. grocery sack), the pull lever to release the 2nd row seats to fall forward, and then I don't know what the hole is on the far right.

On the trailer hitch... very interesting. I hadn't seen this electronically deployed hitch on a Bimmer before. Aluminum alloy, electrical connections built into the hitch itself. Notice in the top-down picture, that the hitch doesn't stick out straight back. It's actually bent and curved a little bit. Odd... I would think this would reduce the tension strength of the hitch to pull more weight.

Interior very nice. Although not the colors and trim that I would personally pick for myself, it looked nice. I like the all-LCD dash. The LCD control/entertainment screen in the middle of the dash is less ostentatious, and better integrated than other modern vehicle models I've seen.

Very obvious, local Middle East models apparently sell with a big red fire extinguisher strapped to the front of the passenger's seat. Also in the pic, look to the far right and you'll see the control to turn off the front passenger seat airbag.

The center control console was nice. Interesting crystal shift knob. I can see how some people would like it. It's not for me, though. I found it too glitzy and "bling-y", particularly with the other cut glass or crystal accents as well, like on the iDrive control knob. Here are pics of the lighting color differences inside the shift knob, with the car both off and on.

Center console armrest storage ok. Nothing special, but yay on the USB-C port.

I LOVE the heated and cooled cupholders. I didn't get to try their functionality (i.e. how cold it would keep a can of Coke), but I just love that they can have any effect at all on a cold drink as I'm driving. As others have noticed, though, putting them RIGHT next to the cigarette lighter and phone charging pad, just begs for spills where you don't want them, as you jiggy your drink in and out of the cupholders.

Very nice wireless phone charging pad. This is the G05, and as you can see, my new iPhone XS Max, with Otterbox case, fits on the charging pad very nicely, with a tiny bit of wiggle room to spare. The phone started charging wirelessly immediately when I set it on the pad, even with the car turned off.

Now, for comparisons, I jumped in a 2018 640i GT model (which I love) that was near the G05, and put the same iPhone XS Max phone in the 640i GT phone charging pad. As you can see, the same phone is too big for the 640i GT pad, and couldn't even fit in the cubbyhole. This is significant to me.

Remote key.

Personally, I loooooove the luxury seating package. The massage seats and seat ventilation that I'm trying on multiple new BMW models feels really good, and for me these are a top-3 must-have item for my next Bimmer. The top right button on the side door here is for the massage feature, but I can't figure out what the button below it is for, with the number 2 on the seat. (uh... pun here?) Anybody know?

Very nice sky lounge roof. Big panorama roof, colored lights looked nice. Difficult to photograph in the daytime, of course, but the blue lights are showing up in the pictures on the edges of the lounge roof. I can see this being pretty fancy driving at night, kinda limo-like, although the novelty would probably wear off quickly when you own the car.

Lastly, the back seat. Felt nice overall. I do like the color lighting accents that BMW is putting into new models.

Nice seat back. Well done on lighting on the back seat, shining downwards. I can see the accessory attachment port being useful, although I still think it makes it look the seat back look like the back of an airline seat. Yay for the USB-C port!

Which takes me to the last point. One of the biggest frustrations I've had with the X5 is 2nd row legroom. As you can see from the picture, I'm a big guy, and 6'3". My family is also tall, including growing teen kids. When I'm in the driver's seat, I need them to have good 2nd row leg room. For this picture, I put the driver's seat in a reasonable driving position for me as a driver. Not optimal though--if I were driving, my legs would not be fully comfortably stretched out, but still reasonable and I could drive. Even still, as you can see in the pic, when I got into the 2nd row, I still had to straddle the back of the front seat with my knees, jammed up against the seat.

Would that be okay for a 10 minute drive to dinner? Sure. Would that be okay for a 5 hour family road trip? No. And any Bimmer I get, I want to be a family car that we could do long sight-seeing road trips.

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! This one "small" thing may be a deal killer for me on the G05. Overall, I like the car, I love the new tech and toys that is packed in it. I like the driver's seat height, which is another important issue for me, as I get older, being able to easily get in and out of the seat without climbing up or squatting down. Is the 2nd row legroom better than the previous F15? Mmmm... maybe. But it still doesn't seem enough for me.

Perhaps I'll have to go to the X7. I'll at least wait and look at the X7 when it gets officially released for orders here next week.

Hope all of this helps someone. Flame away.
I prefer the current one. The new grill is too big.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 11:47 PM   #34
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
After this comparison... I have to say the new G05's front end looks a little better.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 12:23 AM   #35
mckman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87

Great writeup! Thanks, I now have a much clearer sense of how the G05 compares with the F15.

The interior looks nice, with apparent high quality and lots of well thought out features like the large wireless charging pad, usb-c, the heated and cooled cupholders and the automatic storage for the luggage cover. Seems like they really tried hard to make the interior both beautiful and functional at the same time.

The exterior is growing on me, but I am not quite there yet. That front end with the huge grill. Yikes! It isn't attractive and looks like a nightmare to keep clean.
2018 F15 X5 - Everyone needs an SUV these days.
2021 F87 - LBB 6MT

Last edited by mckman; 10-12-2018 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 01:32 AM   #36
Patrik
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the great writeup! Learned a lot of new things from it!

I’m surprised by the poor reception the front is getting, as that is my favourite angle of the car. Aggressive and smart, both with and without the M-Sport bumper. It even has the hood shutline in the right place. Personally I have more issues with the rear, but I’m slowly getting used to it. Still think it would’ve looked better with more F15-like rearlights.
Appreciate 2
Vervain396.50
      10-12-2018, 01:46 AM   #37
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

what a review, thanks !
Lack of legroom is unbelievable...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 01:51 AM   #38
Kokiiiz
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X6 msport 2018

Nice review indeed...thanks!!

Seems I'll head from Dubai to Abu Dhabi soon to see it in real.

Not sure since they are launching the new model in Abu Dhabi motors whether they have acquired the authority approval to include/activate the connected drive (like in dubai) or still not working?
I'm still angry as bought my car x6 Msport 18 from Abu Dhabi and still not able to get the ConnectedDrive activated due to authorities approvals in there as claimed by the dealer there
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 02:21 AM   #39
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I see "EXPENSIVE"
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 03:16 AM   #40
Beefcake
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2021) / 428i (2014)

Quote:

Which takes me to the last point. One of the biggest frustrations I've had with the X5 is 2nd row legroom. As you can see from the picture, I'm a big guy, and 6'3". My family is also tall, including growing teen kids. When I'm in the driver's seat, I need them to have good 2nd row leg room. For this picture, I put the driver's seat in a reasonable driving position for me as a driver. Not optimal though--if I were driving, my legs would not be fully comfortably stretched out, but still reasonable and I could drive. Even still, as you can see in the pic, when I got into the 2nd row, I still had to straddle the back of the front seat with my knees, jammed up against the seat.

Would that be okay for a 10 minute drive to dinner? Sure. Would that be okay for a 5 hour family road trip? No. And any Bimmer I get, I want to be a family car that we could do long sight-seeing road trips.

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! This one "small" thing may be a deal killer for me on the G05. Overall, I like the car, I love the new tech and toys that is packed in it. I like the driver's seat height, which is another important issue for me, as I get older, being able to easily get in and out of the seat without climbing up or squatting down. Is the 2nd row legroom better than the previous F15? Mmmm... maybe. But it still doesn't seem enough for me.

Perhaps I'll have to go to the X7. I'll at least wait and look at the X7 when it gets officially released for orders here next week.

Hope all of this helps someone. Flame away.
Ok, I struggle with this legroom thing.

I do no want to disrespect you in any way. The way you present the legroom seems a bit misleading.

so you say that you are 6'3 (which is about 190cm), that's already in the tallest 10% (if already that) of the people.
Next to that, (again no disrespect!), you look a bit on the heavy side, meaning that your back will push you forward at least 4-6 inches from the back of the seat (10-15 cm) if not more.
Because of the belly (again I stress on the 'no disrespect'!, just objective observations to put things in perspective), you will not be able to sit completely straight either, leading to some extra inches that you cover.

combine that with the same for the correct position for the drivers seat and yes it comes to a picture like the one you took.

Putting this in the correct perspective, the carwow review from one of the previous posts gave a better view on the legroom.

Name:  2018-10-12 09_53_40-BMW X5 (G05) Reviews Compilation - Page 3.png
Views: 1559
Size:  863.6 KB

This guy is 5'8" (179,5cm), so no super tall, but add like 2 inches and you have already a rather tall person.

the driver is over 6' he says...

Look at the legroom he still has left?

So, I wonder if it's not the combination of the above that leads to the conclusion that new G05 does not have enough legroom?

Last edited by Beefcake; 10-12-2018 at 06:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 05:34 AM   #41
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

the interior rocks, The front kidneys are still growing on me.

great review and pics OP, I enjoyed reading through that

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 06:07 AM   #42
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Thanks, all. (and I just knew that somebody would be quoting that entire post for a one-line reply)

Last edited by Wild Blue; 10-12-2018 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 06:12 AM   #43
kbNO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by maze446 View Post
This is seriously more informative than almost all of the professional reviews that I've read.

One thing I was always curious about was why some of the HP numbers for the 50i say 462 where others have it at 456.
456 hp, 462 PS
Appreciate 1
maze446156.50
      10-12-2018, 06:13 AM   #44
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulajavi View Post
When you press the button with the ‘2’, the seat controls of the driver’s seat will move the passenger’s seat.

It’s a very convenient feature for when you simply want to move the other side seat from your side or when a passenger steps into your car and doesn’t know very well how to adjust its seat. You press the ‘2’ and you can move the seat for him with your controls.
Thanks! And I agree, an awesome feature. Definitely there have been times when I'm driving after having had a passenger in the front seat, and need to either move the seat up or back for some reason. Would be great to be able to do that without having to reach wayyyyy over to the other side, across the entire car.
Appreciate 1
emulajavi421.50