10-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #45
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodoge View Post
Did you ever see the Virtual Cockpit from Audi in action with Google Maps? When i am using the navigation system in my A3 i turn on Google Maps fullscreen and i personally would never want to go back to solely rely on navigation by speech or a simplified 2D map. Imo that system is the benchmark and already available in A3s from mid 2016 and up. Their advantage probably was that the system was already close to market when the aquisition of Here happened. I want Here to succeed and my next car will likely be a BMW, but that display right there is a bitter pill to swallow coming from Google Maps.
Why is it even relevant? With HUD in my G30 I almost never look at the guages in the instrument cluster, the directions are right in the windscreen without having to take your eyes off the road. I only use the IDrive screen to change settings once in a while
Appreciate 5
fbuzila367.00
Blubaron791431.50
khailuan110.50
emulajavi421.50
      10-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #46
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
The point is that some people(like you) like conservative design and me want a manual. But BMW is moving to new design and automatic. Why? Because we are small percentage. They are in business to make money. So they have to satisfy the majority. But no latest design and tech in a premium model but debut in cheaper model, is not a good business decision. Most people who pay premium want the latest tech. When they pay more but get old tech while the cheaper model has it. They won't be happy. BMW is used to have new tech in 7 then 5 then 3, for example new parking camera, new driver assistance, etc. But this time is odd
Wow you should be running bmw
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791431.50
      10-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #47
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

The point of these digital displays, or any good user interface - imo - is to present information in the way the user wants to see/use it. So many of us that are complaining about BMW's live cockpit are not complaining about the fact that it's a digital display; we're complaining that it's a very poorly executed digital display. The design is overly complex. It presents data in an unconventional manner (counter-clockwise tach) for no discernable purpose other than design. It's main element - the center map - has such a discernable lack of detail that it renders it almost useless. And the most glaring flaw is that it provides the user with almost zero customizability.

I say all of this not because I don't like tech or change. Quite the contrary. I say all this because I love tech. I love smart tech. And I'm incredible disappointed that BMW - a company that was once known for its driver focus - developed this new user interface to be something pretty, rather than something that is useful to the driver.
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #48
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
I'm disappointed in this trend towards complete digital instruments. It feels a bit like mechanical watches vs. digital watches, I much prefer the happy mediums we've seen already that combine digital elements with real guages.

Could not agree with this more. I'ts a horrible trend. I'd pay extra for analog.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #49
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
And I'm incredible disappointed that BMW - a company that was once known for its driver focus - developed this new user interface to be something pretty, rather than something that is useful to the driver.
I'll continue my rant for just a bit more -

Consider the tach - the sacred instrument for real driver focused cars. Forget about its counter-intuitive design. We'll get used to that. But take a close look at how the other info is displayed within the tach. The entertainment screen not only shows album art (which is nice), but it takes it a step further by showing a large shadow of the album art behind the tach. This is a purely form over function design. It makes the tach info much more difficult to read. But who cares? The display will look "cool".

Done now.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #50
Buckett76
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i

I think this iteration is very useful. Having used the Audi Live Cockpit for a few years I only need 2 things - Digital Speed and a Route/Map. The Audi solution works well but the rest of the options are noise. I've also used RR's version and that has more customization which is distracting to alter on the fly so once it's set to your liking you never really change it. I think both work well but be careful what you wish for with customization/options as you will complain about unnecessary options and/or frustrating operations to work the system.

I like this set up as it gives you all you need on the map front (roads nearby and a line to follow), without having to play around in menu's, plus a permanent digital speed readout. A zoom in/out feature would be nice if it's not there but other than that I think this seems to fit a good balance of features without getting overly complicated. Given the market it's designed for it seems to fit the purpose of the car very well.

Wanting your X5 to look, smell, act, feel like a weekend sports car is like getting upset that the pizza you ordered doesn't look or taste like a burger!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #51
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Quote:
The point is that some people(like you) like conservative design and me want a manual. But BMW is moving to new design and automatic. Why? Because we are small percentage. They are in business to make money. So they have to satisfy the majority. But no latest design and tech in a premium model but debut in cheaper model, is not a good business decision. Most people who pay premium want the latest tech. When they pay more but get old tech while the cheaper model has it. They won't be happy. BMW is used to have new tech in 7 then 5 then 3, for example new parking camera, new driver assistance, etc. But this time is odd
Just my opinion. I want to switch to a more premium 5 after 6 years in a 3 and a 4. But 5 doesn't have latest tech now. Bummer for me
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #52
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Hmmm it's not even that great... I drove the new Porsche Panamera which supposedly has better implementation of this tech and it was blah.. not bad but to say this is the iPhone of the car industry- no it is not...
      10-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #53
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Sad the VW digital cockpit is better.

Tbh the whole thing is cheap and cost saving, I prefer the old mechanical version better, I hope it's an option.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #54
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is amazing, thank you for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #55
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
And I'm incredible disappointed that BMW - a company that was once known for its driver focus - developed this new user interface to be something pretty, rather than something that is useful to the driver.
I'll continue my rant for just a bit more -

Consider the tach - the sacred instrument for real driver focused cars. Forget about its counter-intuitive design. We'll get used to that. But take a close look at how the other info is displayed within the tach. The entertainment screen not only shows album art (which is nice), but it takes it a step further by showing a large shadow of the album art behind the tach. This is a purely form over function design. It makes the tach info much more difficult to read. But who cares? The display will look "cool".

Done now.
I have a good feeling that the display will have a "Sport" mode where all the nonsense info will disappear and we will only have the speed and tack along with one or two telemetries ie oil temp, g-meter etc. Hopefully at least the M cars should have this.

Let's also keep in mind that most Super cars already have similar setups and that the tach doesn't always go clockwise.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #56
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckett76 View Post
I think this iteration is very useful. Having used the Audi Live Cockpit for a few years I only need 2 things - Digital Speed and a Route/Map. The Audi solution works well but the rest of the options are noise. I've also used RR's version and that has more customization which is distracting to alter on the fly so once it's set to your liking you never really change it. I think both work well but be careful what you wish for with customization/options as you will complain about unnecessary options and/or frustrating operations to work the system.

I like this set up as it gives you all you need on the map front (roads nearby and a line to follow), without having to play around in menu's, plus a permanent digital speed readout. A zoom in/out feature would be nice if it's not there but other than that I think this seems to fit a good balance of features without getting overly complicated. Given the market it's designed for it seems to fit the purpose of the car very well.

Wanting your X5 to look, smell, act, feel like a weekend sports car is like getting upset that the pizza you ordered doesn't look or taste like a burger!

Very well balanced perspective. Let’s all take a deep breath!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #57
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Also keep in mind that the entire iDrive 7.0 OS can be upgraded to new releases over the air for free from BMW. I believe I remember the trainer saying 3 years are covered for major updates and 10 years for security related fixes to the OS.

Its very possible that BMW might make some tweaks to the look and feel of the cluster and the car would receive those updates automatically.

I'm not overall amazed with the layout of the new cluster, but after seeing it in person I was very impressed with how sharp and clear the display was. Will just take some getting used to I think.

Switching to Sport mode doesn't change the display very much, the layout remains the same.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #58
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Sadly Audi does this a lot better. Pretty disappointing BMW. I can see this having a big revision within 12/18 months pre LCI
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #59
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Quote:
Just my opinion. I want to switch to a more premium 5 after 6 years in a 3 and a 4. But 5 doesn't have latest tech now. Bummer for me
Seems to me you care more about the video game aspect of the car... Bummer for you.

When I get behind the wheel all I care about is the driving experience. The electronic gizmos are certainly nice but secondary. The G30 is a terrific car and a nice place to spend time in.

Try it sometime. Really..electronic gimmickry is not the end and be all of a worthy road car.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
Omar8178.00
      10-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #60
NorthBuddy
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm just happy not having it. Love the old look in my 530e even more now.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      10-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #61
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
This is dumb but they're doing it because of the competition. It's more poorly executed though. The generic girl with headphones "album art" is distracting and not useful. Just show the entertainment text info. The album art can be reserved for the primary iDrive screen, especially since it's doubled up.

The reason, IMO, for the small, reverse tach that everyone is opposed to (including myself) is because without a manual transmission it's not needed anymore. It's still "informational" but not required. This is a total break from "The Ultimate Driving Machine" mantra but if that's the way they choose to go then someone else will have my money. They don't have to do this, see what Porsche does, but they don't seem to value prior customers input.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      10-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #62
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
This is dumb but they're doing it because of the competition. It's more poorly executed though. The generic girl with headphones "album art" is distracting and not useful. Just show the entertainment text info. The album art can be reserved for the primary iDrive screen, especially since it's doubled up.

The reason, IMO, for the small, reverse tach that everyone is opposed to (including myself) is because without a manual transmission it's not needed anymore. It's still "informational" but not required. This is a total break from "The Ultimate Driving Machine" mantra but if that's the way they choose to go then someone else will have my money. They don't have to do this, see what Porsche does, but they don't seem to value prior customers input.
For better or worse the majority of the market rules. BMW, as any other carmaker, is in the business of making money and bringing profits back to the controlling Quandt family and their stockholders and investors.

Enthusiasts are a statistically insignificant portion of the market audience of BMW products. The soft and luxurious cars that most decry in these forums pay the bills and found your high performance variants and M cars.

When Porsche came up with the Cayenne SUv over a decade ago, Porsche purists and enthusiasts were up in arms in the face of such blasphemy. But it turns out the Cayenne was a success and it paid the bills plus development of the focused hard core models.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 4
ILM_X5206.50
Shane550X127.50
sq86363.00
EvenKeel418.00
      10-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #63
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

What an ugly display....... Give me the analog dials any day.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      10-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #64
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:

For better or worse the majority of the market rules. BMW, as any other carmaker, is in the business of making money and bringing profits back to the controlling Quandt family and their stockholders and investors.

Enthusiasts are a statistically insignificant portion of the market audience of BMW products. The soft and luxurious cars that most decry in these forums pay the bills and found your high performance variants and M cars.

When Porsche came up with the Cayenne SUv over a decade ago, Porsche purists and enthusiasts were up in arms in the face of such blasphemy. But it turns out the Cayenne was a success and it paid the bills plus development of the focused hard core models.
Agree but if displays such as this are decision makers for prospective buyers then the car industry as a whole should be worried.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      10-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #65
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:

Agree but if displays such as this are decision makers for prospective buyers then the car industry should be worried.
Honestly, I have to see this new digital cockpit in person to see what the hoopla is all about. But same as you, I much prefer a traditional an easier to read gauge cluster arrangement with round Speedo and tach. This is why I prefer the current G30, G11 digital dash. I feel is a better looking, safer and more agreeable compromise if one is to go with a full digital alternative.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #66
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Just for the sake of comparison, here is the Tesla Model S display... back in 2012. It could be configured to display other information, such as media source, album covers and such.

To call this "new" BMW display outdate is quite an understatement...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0