BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #89
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
Anyway, if you like the "gee whiz wow" factor of the Audi system, good for you. Get yours soon though, so you have a year or so with it, because no later than the end of 2020, the Google Maps overlay won't work anymore on any 2018 and older Audi's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
So hit "view" and get a more standardized set up with the speedo/tach front and center. The Audi implementation gives you plenty of options for configuration.
Why is it is so difficult to understand this simple fact? DIGITAL DISPLAYS SHOULD PROVIDE OPTIONALITY.

Racer likes the Google maps (as an example); JRob doesn't. Digital display technology allows for both of these type of users to get what they want. Those of us who are complaining about BMW's implementation are frustrated that Audi and Merc give us that type of user option, but BMW doesn't.

And JRob, I have to say that imo BMW's implementation is much more about "gee whiz wow" than it is about functionality. Why else would they combine both album art and a huge shadow of the album art inside a tach??
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #90
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Why is it is so difficult to understand this simple fact? DIGITAL DISPLAYS SHOULD PROVIDE OPTIONALITY.
Those of you who are passionate about this sort of thing (and obviously I am ) should look at how Audi has done its digital cockpit in a car like the S4 . . .

You have three basic views:
- Large speedo and tach dials with a smaller center display
- Small speedo and tach dials with a larger center display
- A large center tach dial with an integrated digital speedo, and customizable right and left displays

The center displays in the first two options can show maps (either regular or Google), entertainment, trip data, eco data, etc. Again, it's all about allowing a user to interface with the data and format that he or she desires. Btw, the Audi interface isn't perfect, but its v1 is a heck of a lot more perfect than BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #91
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
And JRob, I have to say that imo BMW's implementation is much more about "gee whiz wow" than it is about functionality. Why else would they combine both album art and a huge shadow of the album art inside a tach??
To at least partially appeal to the people who want the "gee whiz wow", and would otherwise be complaining that the system isn't colorful enough or show enough. You know, like they already are about anything else the system may or may not do, that they don't know yet, because they haven't seen or used it in person.

Likewise, I haven't used or even seen the new system in person, either, which is why I'm not declaring anything about it other than that it looks cleaner and less distracting to me than the Audi version, especially at night (where the Audi is like shining a flashlight in your face it's so blinding). I'd like to see what views of the map section can be shown, whether it can zoom, shows street names, routes, exits, points of interest, etc., and how well it complements the HUD. That last part is important, especially to all the people complaining about the non-traditional tachometer, as BMW could put a tach in the HUD, where it would be even more useful than in the gauge cluster (like they have in the M models since 2006). Being digital, anything it doesn't do now, BMW could always update it to do.

Point being, I'm going to experience it first. I know that's not how these forums are supposed to work, we're supposed to be all pitchforks and torches to anything BMW does (see: the ridiculous "90's GM/Atari graphics" comments in this thread, any thread about the new 3-Series, 8-Series, Z4, etc.). But I'm going to go ahead and try it.
Appreciate 3
SNAGuy91.00
sahajesh2290.00
      10-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #92
jav335i_
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Quote:
My S4 has full color, full width google maps in the driver's display if I want it. It's far more configurable with better styling and better graphics. This looks gimmicky, over styled, and last-gen. Pretty disappointing. BMW is falling behind in more and more ways to Audi.
Exactly. BMW is too conservative in tech
Don't you have to pay for the google maps and all of that in virtual cockpit after a year or something?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #93
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav335i_ View Post
Quote:
Quote:
My S4 has full color, full width google maps in the driver's display if I want it. It's far more configurable with better styling and better graphics. This looks gimmicky, over styled, and last-gen. Pretty disappointing. BMW is falling behind in more and more ways to Audi.
Don't you have to pay for the google maps and all of that in virtual cockpit after a year or something?
I don't know
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #94
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav335i_ View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yup. 3 months free. Then the line traffic goes away also. $500 for 18 months to get Google maps and traffic data back
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #95
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

For whats its worth for the folks extolling the virtues of the Audi displays, while I agree that the execution is cleaner in some ways, I would also remind you that for pretty much every Audi model (last time I checked) you have to choose the Prestige trim to get these digital displays or a simple HUD. Meanwhile, its standard on every X5. I personally don't want to be forced to pay 15 to 20k more for the highest trim just because I want certain features like a HUD that much cheaper vehicles include. I'll take BMW's execution and pricing.
      10-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #96
farns2345
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i sedan m sport

Looks kind of childish, but I recently bought an S4 and while the virtual cockpit is cool it quickly becomes a novelty and you end up leaving it one way. The silver lining here is that I'm sure people who buy this car will quickly adapt to it and just accept it/ leave it as is. Personally I'd like all manufacturers to go back to regular gauges with navigation, phone and radio info in between - when you want it. Coming from a fully manual bmw w hydraulic steering and RWD I really just want manufacturers to continue improve engines, remove weight and keep hydraulic steering but I know that ship sailed a long time ago. The new cars are much faster, more efficient, but sadly not engaging to drive. Maybe if i didn't need car seats I could have clung on to a fun car a little while longer if I tried a M2, but I didn't want to try it and then have to live with the anguish of wanting it and realizing it's just not practical. Massive tangent over
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #97
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Maybe in a year or so, BMW will release an OTA update to increase the customization capabilities of the digital cluster... Then everyone would be happy. Or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #98
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

If it's an all-LCD screen, seems like it should be able to be software updated and customizable with new new options in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #99
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

I wonder how many crashes will be attributed to these displays that constantly take your eyes off the road?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #100
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
This is dumb but they're doing it because of the competition. It's more poorly executed though. The generic girl with headphones "album art" is distracting and not useful. Just show the entertainment text info. The album art can be reserved for the primary iDrive screen, especially since it's doubled up.

The reason, IMO, for the small, reverse tach that everyone is opposed to (including myself) is because without a manual transmission it's not needed anymore. It's still "informational" but not required. This is a total break from "The Ultimate Driving Machine" mantra but if that's the way they choose to go then someone else will have my money. They don't have to do this, see what Porsche does, but they don't seem to value prior customers input.
For better or worse the majority of the market rules. BMW, as any other carmaker, is in the business of making money and bringing profits back to the controlling Quandt family and their stockholders and investors.

Enthusiasts are a statistically insignificant portion of the market audience of BMW products. The soft and luxurious cars that most decry in these forums pay the bills and found your high performance variants and M cars.

When Porsche came up with the Cayenne SUv over a decade ago, Porsche purists and enthusiasts were up in arms in the face of such blasphemy. But it turns out the Cayenne was a success and it paid the bills plus development of the focused hard core models.
I get what you're saying, and I don't disagree with you that the company is beholden to delivering profits (as it should be), but they don't have to disregard their base either. I may be a small percentage who feel this way (who knows the exact number) but I'm still going to make myself heard.

As to your point of the Porsche purists having a cow over the Cayenne, BMW purists did the same with the X5 many years earlier, then the X3. The main difference between Porsche and BMW though is that even though they both build SUVs, Porsche still keeps the tachometer in the center. This can be said for the Panamera too. They haven't deviated like BMW is doing now IMO. It will be interesting to see how they handle the Taycan though.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #101
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
Here is part 2 answering some of your questions

I just posted a question (on YouTube) asking if you can remove the entertainment info entirely from the digital gauges. Thanks for these videos. It's helpful to see it in action!

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #102
maze446
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

The horde (or maybe just me) is salivating for some cold start, standing revs and 0-60 exhaust videos. Wishful thinking for some of those unless it is a beater demo I guess. I still go back and play Jay's 50i startup video at least once a day but I need more.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #103
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post
Tachometer goes the wrong way!
I cannot get over that. I was hoping bmw had more configuration options but it seems those dials are always there and tach is counter clockwise. I could probably never get used to that. You would think there would be at least one option that is driver focused. Does bmw want to get rid of enthusiasts or do they just forget about them?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #104
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
Anyway, if you like the "gee whiz wow" factor of the Audi system, good for you. Get yours soon though, so you have a year or so with it, because no later than the end of 2020, the Google Maps overlay won't work anymore on any 2018 and older Audi's.
Quote:
So hit "view" and get a more standardized set up with the speedo/tach front and center. The Audi implementation gives you plenty of options for configuration.

Racer likes the Google maps (as an example); JRob doesn't. Digital display technology allows for both of these type of users to get what they want. Those of us who are complaining about BMW's implementation are frustrated that Audi and Merc give us that type of user option, but BMW doesn't.

Bingo. I dont know the audi options so this is my first time doing a deep look at any digital dash bc they seem like they are being forced down our throats and eventually every car will have them. I wanted to get on board with this but what i have seen in the videos is very disappointing. I could care less about seeing what song is playing in my dash (no disrespect if thats your thing) but bmw has to offer more options
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:22 PM   #105
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Pretty neat
      10-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #106
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Bingo. I dont know the audi options so this is my first time doing a deep look at any digital dash bc they seem like they are being forced down our throats and eventually every car will have them. I wanted to get on board with this but what i have seen in the videos is very disappointing. I could care less about seeing what song is playing in my dash (no disrespect if thats your thing) but bmw has to offer more options
This is exactly the point, cuz I do want my entertainment info in the dash! For me, the order of priority for displays is HUD, center iDrive display, and then dash display.

I like my primary info in my line of vision so I don't have to avert my eyes from the road ahead. Also - for me - it's safer to glace over to the iDrive display than down to the dash display. That's why I like to have my nav map in the center. But I do like to see my entertainment info. So I prefer it down where I look least, and that's become the dash (as crazy as that is for an old-timer like me).

So while I do think that BMW has gone all "gee whiz" on us and the Live Cockpit design is more form over function, it'll work for me. But we're all different and that display doesn't provide the options for all the other people who don't think like I do. And that's a huge opportunity lost for BMW imo.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #107
EggFreak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F39, G02 LCI

it strike me odd G20 get rid of styling/design for 30 some years with new very Japanese/Korean like styling everywhere BUT insisting on old type of cockpit display, a direct copy from base Audi display would be much better and. that is only thing I like about audi. ironic how bmw is turning into driving like audi BUT the only thing I like about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #108
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

Anyone know how Waze or Google Maps will integrate via AppleCar Play? Can you have the center nav (instrument panel) show your waze or google maps view?
      10-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #109
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
Anyone know how Waze or Google Maps will integrate via AppleCar Play? Can you have the center nav (instrument panel) show your waze or google maps view?
Quote:
I don't believe you can but do t quote me on it either.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #110
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
CarPlay will only display on the main center screen. There isn't any functionality available in CarPlay at this time to allow it to be displayed on additional screens like the HUD or main instrument cluster screen. (This isn't just a BMW limitation, its all cars that have CarPlay).

So all Waze/Google Maps navigation info will only be visible on the center 12.5" screen and via audio through the car's speakers.
Appreciate 0