Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpy View Post
Did it seriously take BMW this long to have this feature?
There are sometimes legal issues with features like this.

I guess BMW feels it's no longer a potential law suit waiting to happen.
20 years of most other auto makers doing it, finally proved to BMW that they were in a legal free zone.
BMW doesn't make decisions based off of what others do.

Nothing new here.

10-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #46
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Too bad they don't have these on the M models
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #47
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
You completely missed the point of my post. I'm guessing BMW is going to start seeing a slew of issues 4-6 years down the road on these cars as a result of premature wear on internal engine components. If you want to trade 5 minutes of being uncomfortable for expensive engine repairs, that's your prerogative. Hotter climates are going to have to deal with excessive condensation buildup in the motor, especially on cars that are used mostly in stop and go traffic or short trips. BMW has already had condensation issues for decades, and remote starters certainly aren't going to help the situation.

So what about the other 40-50% that aren't leased? You're going to have a hard time retaining clients if they keep having expensive engine issues. Client retention, CSI, brand reliability ratings, etc, will all decrease. That's not going to be good for sales.
Modern engines and technology will last you at least another five to eight years. After that, most people will dump the car and get a new one. People don't keep these cars for very long. A car that has come off lease with 36,000 or 45,000 miles on it will likely go to 100,000 before it is sold again at which point, the car is so old that things breaking are to be expected. Regular oil changes will get you to 100,000 miles easily. This isn't 1970. Technology has come a very long way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #48
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
Seriously?!!!

This is an interesting confirmation from a BMW employee that these cars are thought of as three-year, throwaway devices that aren't worth anything after warranty runs out.

A measure of a cars quality used to be how well it held it's value. Now people need oled taillights and bitchin mirrors.
It's not a some kind of secret. The majority of their cars are leased and BMW knows it. Why would they over engineer something to last 20 years when the car will only have four to eight realistic useful life years?

We live in a very fast paced world these days. People want the latest and greatest, and they want it now. Other companies like Apple and Samsung have figured this out too, hence why they don't make drastic changes to their phones every single year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Absolutely spot on. Break in period, the auto on/off, and now this. Doesn't matter in the slightest if it's a lease beater.
That's one of the reasons people lease cars, right? It's not their problem after the lease matures.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #49
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

I quite like principled companies that do what's right for their products, people, and the planet, even if that means not doing what the customer wants. After all, if you're on this forum you likely bought a BMW regardless of the lack of remote start. If you're not buying a BMW because it didn't have remote start, you probably shouldn't be driving a BMW. But that's the principled BMW of old. The new BMW only cares about one thing. Sales volume.
Jklad421.00
      10-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #50
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Bmw always mandated that the proper way to warm up the engine in cold climates to prevent premature wear is to start the car, then start driving normally until you hit operating temp. I guess they no longer care about this anymore, and remote start is now an option for those who don't mind wearing out their internals. Since most people lease these cars I can't blame them for not giving a shit about longevity anymore.
      10-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #51
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Quote:
Bmw always mandated that the proper way to warm up the engine in cold climates to prevent premature wear is to start the car, then start driving normally until you hit operating temp. I guess they no longer care about this anymore, and remote start is now an option for those who don't mind wearing out their internals. Since most people lease these cars I can't blame them for not giving a shit about longevity anymore.
Thanks. I always wondered what the hell they were waiting for...
Jklad421.00
      10-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #52
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Quote:
Seriously?!!!

This is an interesting confirmation from a BMW employee that these cars are thought of as three-year, throwaway devices that aren't worth anything after warranty runs out.

A measure of a cars quality used to be how well it held it's value. Now people need oled taillights and bitchin mirrors.
It's not a some kind of secret. The majority of their cars are leased and BMW knows it. Why would they over engineer something to last 20 years when the car will only have four to eight realistic useful life years?

We live in a very fast paced world these days. People want the latest and greatest, and they want it now. Other companies like Apple and Samsung have figured this out too, hence why they don't make drastic changes to their phones every single year.

Quote:
Absolutely spot on. Break in period, the auto on/off, and now this. Doesn't matter in the slightest if it's a lease beater.
That's one of the reasons people lease cars, right? It's not their problem after the lease matures.
People primarily lease cars so they can drive a nicer car than they can truly afford.

And like you're saying because it's still under warranty while they have it.
      10-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #53
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Funny, a local salesperson told me BMW doesn't offer it because it ruins the engine or some BS.

I almost believed it because why would I be able to lock/unlock my car and take a 3D picture from anywhere in the world but not start the car?

And yet here we are.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 10:45 PM   #54
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
People primarily lease cars so they can drive a nicer car than they can truly afford.

I don't think so. I lease cars because 1.) I don't want to hold onto a depreciating asset. 2.) I get a new toy every three years, and 3.) I don't have to worry about it. It's not my problem after I get rid of it. I think others may share my feelings.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 10:54 PM   #55
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
I don't think so. I lease cars because 1.) I don't want to hold onto a depreciating asset. 2.) I get a new toy every three years, and 3.) I don't have to worry about it. It's not my problem after I get rid of it. I think others may share my feelings.
That’s why we lease! It’s easy and after 3 years move on to something else and we don’t have to worry about trying to sell a 3 year old car!

Wife has just started her own business and will be driving the car for meetings, trips, etc...so in the not too distant future we can even write off part of the lease on her taxes!

Last edited by ScottMZ3; 10-15-2018 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 11:05 PM   #56
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
That’s why we lease! It’s easy and after 3 years move on to something else and we don’t have to worry about trying to sell a 3 year old car!

Wife has just started her own business and will be driving the car for meetings, trips, etc...so in the not too distant future we can even write off per of the lease on her taxes!
Another benefit. Tax write off.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #57
Kingpin4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i/2019 M2C

Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16075.50
      10-15-2018, 11:22 PM   #58
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Who cares? Something like 50-60% of BMW's are leased.
Except you guys are suggesting that because half of sales are leases, it's acceptable for BMW to build all vehicles they sell to a 3-year reliability standard. What do you think would happen to the brand if the other 50% of owners started having problems with their cars after 3 very short years? It's short-sighted thinking and justifications like this that fade my optimism for the future of the human race.
marcva378.00
Jklad421.00
      10-16-2018, 03:13 AM   #59
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Will remote start also be possible using "BMW Connected" from your phone? That's the only one I'm interested in. Just doing it from the fob is nearly useless. That just means I can start it 6 seconds before I'm going to be there anyway.
On the i3 you can use it to turn the ac and heater on with the app from anywhere. I don't see why you can't do the same with this.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 03:25 AM   #60
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Seriously?!!!

Quote:

I can afford to buy an M3. I just don't want to own one past warranty. So why not take advantage of a good lease residual and avoid the hassle of trying to find a buyer? Makes no sense.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 04:36 AM   #61
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Well, FWIW, I've owned my current Bimmer for 14 years now, since I ordered and bought it new. Still going strong, no major maintenance.
Appreciate 1
Kingpin4386.50
      10-16-2018, 06:30 AM   #62
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Will remote start also be possible using "BMW Connected" from your phone? That's the only one I'm interested in. Just doing it from the fob is nearly useless. That just means I can start it 6 seconds before I'm going to be there anyway.
Agreed. Had this on a RRS and it was superb! Starting from the house or the office was the real benefit.
      10-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #63
farns2345
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i sedan m sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why does remote starting a car impact it's longevity?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:22 AM   #64
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I can afford to buy an M3. I just don't want to own one past warranty. So why not take advantage of a good lease residual and avoid the hassle of trying to find a buyer? Makes no sense.
How come you wouldn’t want to own one after the warranty period ends? I thought BMWs were the gold standard of reliability?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #65
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Though I agree leasing is easier if you like having a new car more often without the hassle, but your point number 1 logic is backwards.

You know the vast majority of depreciation occurs in the first couple of years and that is exactly what you are paying for with your lease, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #66
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

super cool, would come in real handy on those cold mornings

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0