BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #89
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Hi everyone. I would like to share how I fixed my WiFi hotspot and connection problems. I noticed BMW ConnectedDrive and AT&T had different IMEI number for the car’s telematic system on their systems, I suspected that was the reason the car can not communicate with AT&T servers. I found out my IMEI from BMW assist and asked AT&T to update it to match BMW’s, ask them to do a IMEI number swap. After about 6 hours, all connectivity issues were resolved and working again. Hopefully this will help out.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #90
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Thank you for the update.
That is the issue a lot of us are having. And BMW did not help with that at all.

Vin number for the car is associated with the IMEI of the sim installed in the car cell modem.

Genius national number had no clue how to find IMEI for my car
BmW dealership has no clue

So you are saying - call BMW assist from the car button? or is there a national phone number?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #91
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Thank you for the update.
That is the issue a lot of us are having. And BMW did not help with that at all.

Vin number for the car is associated with the IMEI of the sim installed in the car cell modem.

Genius national number had no clue how to find IMEI for my car
BmW dealership has no clue

So you are saying - call BMW assist from the car button? or is there a national phone number?
Call BMW Assist 1888-333-6118. Ask for your car's IMEI number, you will have to go through whole verification process. Once you get the number, call ATT at 1866-595-1222 ask for the IMEI number linked to your vehicle mobile number, if it's not the same, ask them to do a IMEI swap and change it to the number from BMW. It will take little time, since they will need to submit a RTS ticket for someone to manually change it. It took about 6 hours for me to take effect. All p-sim functions should come back online once ATT updates their system.

I think if you go through BMW/dealership, they will escalate this to someone that can contact ATT to do the change.
Appreciate 2
lumpydog690.50
skalberti613.00
      01-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #92
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Thank you... You are the man.

Unbelievable - it takes an enthusiast to figure this out,,, instead of BMW

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #93
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep

Make sure the email address on both sides (BMW and ATT) match. I was told email, Vin, mobile phone number, IMEI number and sim ICCID need to match to work. ICCID usually won't change unless the communications box is replaced, BMW Assist have the ICCID number as well, starts with 89, usually 19 digits long.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #94
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 G05

Garage List
Awesome tip. Just tried calling to get mine and the person there said I'd have to talk to a Genuis. They're open tomorrow from 10AM to 7PM eastern.
      01-18-2019, 08:28 PM   #95
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerstyler View Post
Awesome tip. Just tried calling to get mine and the person there said I'd have to talk to a Genuis. They're open tomorrow from 10AM to 7PM eastern.
Genius only has your mobile number, they do not have access to SIM card information. Assist is the department, once connected choose option 7. Tell them you are having sim connectivity issues and needs to confirm the IMEI number for your account. It should start with 35. Try another rep if the first one couldn’t help you. Another way is to call roadside assistance and talk to a master technician, they have access to your IMEI as well.
Appreciate 1
lumpydog690.50
      01-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #96
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeya2006 View Post
Quote:
Genius only has your mobile number, they do not have access to SIM card information. Assist is the department, once connected choose option 7. Tell them you are having sim connectivity issues and needs to confirm the IMEI number for your account. It should start with 35. Try another rep if the first one couldn’t help you. Another way is to call roadside assistance and talk to a master technician, they have access to your IMEI as well.
Cool. On the phone with someone at Assist that seems to want to help right now. I'll report back with what happens.
      01-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #97
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

BMW Genius has been great. Well, Josh who works there has been great. They worked with AT&T to get me going. They also fixed numerous other forum members with the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #98
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Didn't get an IMEI number but some other 8 digit number. Could be a SIM ID? Apparently it was a code that went with the hotspot.
      01-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #99
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
BMW Genius has been great. Well, Josh who works there has been great. They worked with AT&T to get me going. They also fixed numerous other forum members with the same issue.
Agree! There are some great people working there. I think ultimately at some point someone has to communicate with ATT to resolve this problem. I have a long trip coming up soon so I took it in my own hands and tried to solve it, it worked, at least for my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #100
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Agree! There are some great people working there. I think ultimately at some point someone has to communicate with ATT to resolve this problem. I have a long trip coming up soon so I took it in my own hands and tried to solve it, it worked, at least for my car.
My vehicle mobile number changed after they fixed it so it was definitely a fix that involved both BMW and AT&T. I'm wondering if the car has two cell radios. One that does all the assist stuff and another that handles the hotspot.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #101
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Didn't get an IMEI number but some other 8 digit number. Could be a SIM ID? Apparently it was a code that went with the hotspot.
Not sure what that code is, the sim ICCID is 19 digits I believe. IMEI is 15 digits
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #102
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what that code is, the sim ICCID is 19 digits I believe. IMEI is 15 digits
Right. I kept asking him for the numbers with those prefixes and those lengths and he couldn't see them. Could be I keep getting people that don't understand what I need or the SIM was not documented with the car properly.
      01-18-2019, 09:32 PM   #103
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My vehicle mobile number changed after they fixed it so it was definitely a fix that involved both BMW and AT&T. I'm wondering if the car has two cell radios. One that does all the assist stuff and another that handles the hotspot.
From what I understand there is only when SIM card. Some of the assist functions like SOS use both sim and gps. Vehicle telemetry is transmitted through gps and voice uses sim. When my sim functions were down, I tested the SOS button, a rep called me back on my registered cell phone and told me they received the vehicle location but couldn’t hear anything from the car. Profile, traffic updates, weather, ConnectedDrive all require sim to operate on ATT network and are included for 4 years. Hotspot is something you have to pay for. Think a cellular plan that have unlimited data but no tethering function until user sign up for one.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:33 PM   #104
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's what it seems like to me. The real time traffic and other connected drive services (those that still don't have issues, anyways) come over the air fine.
      01-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #105
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That's what it seems like to me. The real time traffic and other connected drive services (those that still don't have issues, anyways) come over the air fine.
Does your mobile number start with 521?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #106
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Does your mobile number start with 521?
Yep it's in that 521 area code.
      01-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #107
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just opened a ticket with ATT. They still don't have a record of the phone number or the VIN there so we'll see where this goes.
      01-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #108
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Then I believe it’s a stock number assigned from the factory, ATT will not find that number, what you need to do is tell genius about your hotspot issue, they should tell you current resolution is to have them submit your vin to a special department to manually change the mobile number. After couple days you will notice your mobile number will change. After that if you are one of the unlucky ones like me you will have to contact ATT to change IMEI.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #109
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Then I believe it’s a stock number assigned from the factory, ATT will not find that number, what you need to do is tell genius about your hotspot issue, they should tell you current resolution is to have them submit your vin to a special department to manually change the mobile number. After couple days you will notice your mobile number will change. After that if you are one of the unlucky ones like me you will have to contact ATT to change IMEI.
Lovely. Can't wait for another adventure.

What are we all going to do on here once all these issues are fixed?
      01-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #110
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Then I believe it's a stock number assigned from the factory, ATT will not find that number, what you need to do is tell genius about your hotspot issue, they should tell you current resolution is to have them submit your vin to a special department to manually change the mobile number. After couple days you will notice your mobile number will change. After that if you are one of the unlucky ones like me you will have to contact ATT to change IMEI.
Lovely. Can't wait for another adventure.

What are we all going to do on here once all these issues are fixed?
521 was the number that didn't work. It's 971 now.
Appreciate 0