BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #89
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhfrye View Post
I haven't tried Prime Music, but will try it out. I've heard it streams at much higher quality, but doesn't have a broad selection of titles. I'll try it out though.
Thanks. I'm thinking about using Prime Music as a main source for music. If the quality is excellent, not like XMSirius crap, I'm thinking about upgrading to Amazon Music Unlimited. I need something good so my wife doesn't make me put a CD in the glove box so she can hear all the albums she has on CD. If she is instantly won over by a high quality streaming source, I might have a chance to use that glove box space for something other than old (but good) technology.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #90
stevem12t2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

i plan on using a Tidal subscription via Apple CarPlay with the settings to HiFi even over cellular.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #91
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

FLAC has worked very well for me in the past on top tier audio packages in the vehicle. No issues or complaints outside of the size of the files.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #92
OMGU812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Bump

Anything new on this with regard to the delay associated with the B&W?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #93
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGU812 View Post
Anything new on this with regard to the delay associated with the B&W?
no idea, my build was delayed from 1/15 to 1/17 but then BMW NA's exec team told me it's in QC so I don't know what's accurate. There's a lot of misinformation from them lately
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      01-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #94
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

I wonder if the amp from the Bowers and Wilkins system can be swapped in to replace the HK system... Should be more power, but not sure if it is compatible.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #95
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
B&W system is amazing. If anyone's questioning whether or not it's worth the money get the upgrade!
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2019, 05:00 PM   #96
OMGU812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Can you tell a difference in sound quality between a bluetooth connection and wired?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #97
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGU812 View Post
Can you tell a difference in sound quality between a bluetooth connection and wired?
I don't plug my phone in for audio because the quality isn't the same. Bluetooth is good but using a flash drive with FLAC or another lossless codec to play music is the only way you should listen to music. The speakers are amazing and deserve proper audio files to sound their best. Of course BT sounds good but you're failing to really experience the beauty of what these speakers can do without using lossless audio.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 05:14 PM   #98
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I don't plug my phone in for audio because the quality isn't the same. Bluetooth is good but using a flash drive with FLAC or another lossless codec to play music is the only way you should listen to music. The speakers are amazing and deserve proper audio files to sound their best. Of course BT sounds good but you're failing to really experience the beauty of what these speakers can do without using lossless audio.
This holds true for the HK system as well. Once you are use to full range, uncompressed music, there is no going back to streaming. With 32gb internal harddrive, you can get a nice collection of quality music on board.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:31 PM   #99
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Balance that vs. the flexibility and variety offered by a streaming service like Spotify however i.e. one where you don't need to spend any time downloading and cataloguing your music.

Depends how often you like listening to new music etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #100
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
This holds true for the HK system as well. Once you are use to full range, uncompressed music, there is no going back to streaming. With 32gb internal harddrive, you can get a nice collection of quality music on board.
I tried this in my X3 with the HK system and wasn't impressed, in fact I really didn't notice a difference. I hope the X5 has a better HK system or maybe mine was simply bad. I did have 10 speakers replaced in my X3 due to rattling.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #101
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

I'am actually pretty impressed with HK system in X5.
It is much better vs the one in 440.

It is no B&W but playing high quality HD tracks files off USB is really nice.

For near field listening experience that the car provides it is more then sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 08:19 PM   #102
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post

For near field listening experience that the car provides it is more then sufficient.
I didn't want to chance it with mine but I'm glad they seem to have improved the HK system. With acoustic glass outside noise is reduced so it's a little easier to enjoy the B&W system so far on the highway. When I drive the car 350miles home next week I'll know more of how it sounds on shitty loud roads
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #103
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
B&W system is amazing. If anyone's questioning whether or not it's worth the money get the upgrade!
This is one of the reasons I wonder if the amp would be a plug and play upgrade to the HK system...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:43 AM   #104
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post

Yes, the HK system in the X5 sounds noticeably better than the HK system in my 340. I was taken aback when I first heard it. It's still hard to beat ELS Studio, that's one thing Acura does very well.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:57 AM   #105
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Quote:
This is one of the reasons I wonder if the amp would be a plug and play upgrade to the HK system...
even if the amp was plug and play the speakers aren't of the same quality. I bet it would make some difference though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:01 AM   #106
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
even if the amp was plug and play the speakers aren't of the same quality. I bet it would make some difference though.
I would think so as well. I know people have said the HK speakers are not the weak point in the chain, but the amp is... I want to Upgrade my system, but want to to be as “plug-n-play” as possible to keep the factory look and functionality.

BTW, the B&W system wasn’t available when I ordered my G05.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:29 AM   #107
thomas_Rp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05; 535 F10

Quote:
This is very true!!

I hate satellite music due to how compressed it is. Might be around 64 Kbps due to the low bandwidth.

Bluetooth transmission also sucks. Even aptX has to use the aptX codec which again re-encodes the audio - and the system has to support it.

I would get the B&W but that really puts my cost way above my range. Settling for the HK for now :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #108
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_Rp View Post
Quote:
This is very true!!

I hate satellite music due to how compressed it is. Might be around 64 Kbps due to the low bandwidth.

Bluetooth transmission also sucks. Even aptX has to use the aptX codec which again re-encodes the audio - and the system has to support it.

I would get the B&W but that really puts my cost way above my range. Settling for the HK for now :-(
Understandable, the B&W isn't a cheap option.

Yeah that's why I prefer lossless music to really hear the true sound rather than a mediocre media quality playing through excellent speakers.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #109
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i Msport

Quote:
Quote:
I would think so as well. I know people have said the HK speakers are not the weak point in the chain, but the amp is... I want to Upgrade my system, but want to to be as “plug-n-play” as possible to keep the factory look and functionality.

BTW, the B&W system wasn’t available when I ordered my G05.
I would contact Bavsound and see if they are working on a plug and play amp for the HK system. I'm waiting for them to ship my amp for the hifi system end of Feb.
As for the streaming services, I have tried them all. Tidal is the only viable option I know of where you can access FLAC on your mobile device. Deezer only allows access to FLAC on certain limited devices (I.e. Sonos), but their compressed streaming seems to be of a higher bitrate (if you can tell the difference between compressed bitrates is on you). Compressed quality on Apple Music and Amazon seem to be on par despite differences in volume when comparing the 2, which can cause you to think they sound different, as the volume "normalization" is different between the 2. I used to use Spotify but haven't tested it in a long time, so hard to make a comparison but probably on par w the others.
I recommend using CarPlay if that's an option since it streams over WiFi instead of BT. Or plug in using a cable to get best sound quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #110
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwGk View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I would think so as well. I know people have said the HK speakers are not the weak point in the chain, but the amp is... I want to Upgrade my system, but want to to be as "plug-n-play" as possible to keep the factory look and functionality.

BTW, the B&W system wasn't available when I ordered my G05.
I would contact Bavsound and see if they are working on a plug and play amp for the HK system. I'm waiting for them to ship my amp for the hifi system end of Feb.
As for the streaming services, I have tried them all. Tidal is the only viable option I know of where you can access FLAC on your mobile device. Deezer only allows access to FLAC on certain limited devices (I.e. Sonos), but their compressed streaming seems to be of a higher bitrate (if you can tell the difference between compressed bitrates is on you). Compressed quality on Apple Music and Amazon seem to be on par despite differences in volume when comparing the 2, which can cause you to think they sound different, as the volume "normalization" is different between the 2. I used to use Spotify but haven't tested it in a long time, so hard to make a comparison but probably on par w the others.
I recommend using CarPlay if that's an option since it streams over WiFi instead of BT. Or plug in using a cable to get best sound quality.
Even though tidal can access FLAC you cannot stream it via BT there simply isn't enough bandwith. Unless the connection is wired with support for lossless over USB then it doesn't matter. I've used tidal before it's alright not the same as lossless stored locally even when playing over a 3.5mm headphone jack to quality cans. Android doesn't support audio over USB in the BMW, I think Apple does but the quality of it may vary. I'll test my work iPhone and see how it sounds vs a local lossless track. In the end unless you have the B&W system I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Appreciate 0