BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-14-2019, 04:05 AM   #45
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
How does the engine compare with your previous 40d. Obviously more refined, I guess, does it feel effortless or is there any lack of torque?

I have a 440i. Test drove a X3 30d a few weeks back and was staggered by the lack of refinement and was also surprised that I felt a real lack of urge and performance. I had expected a relatively torquey 30d to feel on par with my 40i on effortless pull below 3k rpm.

All of which has encouraged me to think that the 40i may be a brilliant engine in the X5, especially as it's in a more powerful state of tune than the 440i.
The petrol engine is noticeably smoother than my old 40D (which i did think was a nice engine anyway, certainly compared to my wife's Golf GTD which was very rattle-y). Based on the month or so i've had the 40i i wouldn't swap for a diesel, even the BMW 6-cylinder ones.

The torque is nice, i would say this 3 litre engine size is just right - smooth around town, but put it in sport (especially individual or plus) and its pretty fast - plenty for me at least. i've got 6 points on my license already so the last thing i need is the temptation of the X5M!

i just love wafting around in the car, smooth engine, a bit of exhaust noise under pressure, smooth gear box, auto hadnbrake etc makes for a very luxurious driving experience, which i think a diesel rattle would spoil a bit.

The other reason i chose the petrol was because the 0-60 time isnt far off the 50D anyway, and yet the 40i is about 12k cheaper I think. I added the 22" wheels and head-up/ HL speakers so total was £63k, which compared to a Range Rover or Cayenne is decent value. I also really like the G05 looks, and I'm going 'Black Edition' with the IND black grill / roundels / exhaust tips to finish off the looks nicely. All in all very happy with this X5!
      01-14-2019, 04:11 AM   #46
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i Msport, X6 M50D

155 - that is my external config also - looks awesome!

Do you have the MSports exhaust? If so, how does it sound in Sport mode? Surprised anyone would spend £3,500 on coating a car - simply money you're not going to get back. If it was a Ferrari etc I could understand but an X5...? Am sure it will look amazing though.

Looks like my delivery delayed by 2 weeks, unless it is on a boat and system not updated
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:13 AM   #47
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

PS. where did you get the black grill, exhaust etc?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:53 AM   #48
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCompromise View Post
155 - that is my external config also - looks awesome!

Do you have the MSports exhaust? If so, how does it sound in Sport mode? Surprised anyone would spend £3,500 on coating a car - simply money you're not going to get back. If it was a Ferrari etc I could understand but an X5...? Am sure it will look amazing though.

Looks like my delivery delayed by 2 weeks, unless it is on a boat and system not updated

it's the M Sport model (not X-line), but i didn't go for the "additionally" sporty exhaust (can't remember what it was called but was only £500 or so - but i prefer a more discreet car and exhaust as don't want to upset neighbours and clients!). on start-up it growls nicely (my 8 year-old loves it) and under hard-ish acceleration, just enough for me.

the colour is really nice, i did like the old space grey on the 40D F15 but this is a nice mix between that and black - i've seen white, black (both kinds) and blue and defo prefer the arctic.

i got the grill & exhaust tips & black badges from IND Distribution - expensive, but really finish the car off as i really don't like the chrome detailing. i think at some point BMW will offer a "Black Edition" G05 anyway, but i want the look now, and i think even paying IND prices will be cheaper than what BMW will want to charge for a Black Edition (that didn't stop me running the cost on my credit card that the Mrs doesn't see!!)
      01-14-2019, 05:02 AM   #49
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
About same mpg I was getting from my merc glc43 when I first got it, now up to 24/25, are you using high octane fuel. Thanks for photos, what colour leather have you got.

that's good to know, thanks. although, i partly chose the 40i because i wanted a faster / smoother engine and i don't do big mileage so the lower fuel economy isn't really a concern. i probably do a 12-mile daily commute and 100-mile trip every other week.

i went for black leather (and silver trim) - i'm a "black" fan, so going arctic grey felt like i was already being adventurous! with the IND black parts hopefully it will look good but not too drug-dealer-ish.
      01-14-2019, 05:20 AM   #50
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Quote:
Would you mind sharing what sort of percentage discount you got? I ran a carwow quote earlier this week for a 40i and got next to nothing off
I got 11% plus free protect x.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Quote:
Would you mind sharing what sort of percentage discount you got? I ran a carwow quote earlier this week for a 40i and got next to nothing off
I got 11% plus free protect x.
Sounds like you got a great deal! Best quote I've received is 8.5% discount from an online broker.

I've got my local dealers demo out this weekend so will be seeing what they can put on the table.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2019, 07:47 AM   #51
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155ND View Post
The petrol engine is noticeably smoother than my old 40D (which i did think was a nice engine anyway, certainly compared to my wife's Golf GTD which was very rattle-y). Based on the month or so i've had the 40i i wouldn't swap for a diesel, even the BMW 6-cylinder ones.

The torque is nice, i would say this 3 litre engine size is just right - smooth around town, but put it in sport (especially individual or plus) and its pretty fast - plenty for me at least. i've got 6 points on my license already so the last thing i need is the temptation of the X5M!

i just love wafting around in the car, smooth engine, a bit of exhaust noise under pressure, smooth gear box, auto hadnbrake etc makes for a very luxurious driving experience, which i think a diesel rattle would spoil a bit.

The other reason i chose the petrol was because the 0-60 time isnt far off the 50D anyway, and yet the 40i is about 12k cheaper I think. I added the 22" wheels and head-up/ HL speakers so total was £63k, which compared to a Range Rover or Cayenne is decent value. I also really like the G05 looks, and I'm going 'Black Edition' with the IND black grill / roundels / exhaust tips to finish off the looks nicely. All in all very happy with this X5!
Thanks very much, that's just what I wanted to read! The 40i engine does spoil you after a while. I'm sure the six cylinder diesels are very refined for diesels, but the 40i is just buttery smooth.

Reading on your later posts...your use doesn't sound that different to mine. My 440i does seven urban miles each way for commuting and occasional 100 mile motorway jaunts. I can eke out high 20s on the urban stuff, but rarely bother. A little sport mode and/or heavy traffic and it's in to the low-20s. Amazing on the motorway though, high 40s is easy to acheive. Overall, I am at about 28mpg over 14k miles. I expect the X5 would be slightly worse urban and quite a lot worse on the motorway due to aerodynamics and rolling resistance of larger tyres and 4wd.

Many 440i owners swear by the MPPSK option, louder exhaust and more power. Like you with the X5, I resisted the option - as standard the car has the perfect mix of a just-the-right-side of obnoxious start-up, quiet comfort running and a howl when you let it rip. I don't need any more, or want any more attention.

I think the 40i is the perfect engine for my use in the X5 too, at least until the 45e appears...

Your car sounds lovely...enjoy.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #52
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks 115 - so you got them shipped from the US? Pics please!! Have to work out if black grills and exhaust trims are something I need in my life.

Great to hear that the car sounds decent without the sports exhaust so let's see what difference the MSport package plus (or whatever it was called) makes when it finally arrives. Anyone else been delayed from leaving factory to getting on a boat?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #53
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks 115 - so you got them shipped from the US? Pics please!! Have to work out if black grills and exhaust trims are something I need in my life.

Great to hear that the car sounds decent without the sports exhaust so let's see what difference the MSport package plus (or whatever it was called) makes when it finally arrives. Anyone else been delayed from leaving factory to getting on a boat?

Yes, they are being shipped from the US - i ordered them about a week ago so hopefully will arrive soon - this page:

https://ind-distribution.com/product...ies=317&page=3

then i thought what the heck get the roundels too to give the whole car that 'black edition' look. i actually like the 'cerium grey' (rather than chrome) M50D grille but the difference is not noticeable enough to spends hundreds on a new M50D grill.

IND kit is pricey (no doubt they know BMW aren't yet supplying these items!) but given i've just dropped 63k on a brand new car i wanted to get a quality after-market product rather than do a bodge job (i considered having a local body shop do a spray job). will post up pics when fitted.
      01-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #54
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

You make a valid point (although I wish I had been as restrained on the options list as you have!). Will see how it looks on arrival but the front and rear with the chrome accents will be at odds with the black on the wheels/window surrounds and roof bars so I think it has to be black all the way.

Keep the pics coming - make the Americans jealous of not needing the ugly side reflectors!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #55
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You make a valid point (although I wish I had been as restrained on the options list as you have!). Will see how it looks on arrival but the front and rear with the chrome accents will be at odds with the black on the wheels/window surrounds and roof bars so I think it has to be black all the way.

Keep the pics coming - make the Americans jealous of not needing the ugly side reflectors!
ok, confession time ... i had half an eye on the X5M so thought i would take it easy on the options list just in case the devil on my shoulder "persuades" me to trade in the 40i for the X5M. i paid cash for the X5 so wanting a decent trade-in price to keep my options open for the X5M, and if i'd have loaded up on the 40i i would suffer on trade-in as the price of many options aren't "recoverable" on trade-in (albeit my local BMW dealer have always done a decent trade-in). i'm glad the Mrs isn't reading this and that i used a pseudonym for my username!!

i must say i don't really understand why BMW offered the m Sport without the black grill and exhaust tips as an option - i noticed when i picked up the car that the 8-series, which was UK-launched the same day as the X5, had a black grill and exhaust tips, so i think BMW understand that the blacked-out look looks cooler .. if so, why not offer it as an option and get another £500-£750 out of the customer?
      01-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #56
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d xdrive

Quote:
Quote:

ok, confession time ... i had half an eye on the X5M so thought i would take it easy on the options list just in case the devil on my shoulder "persuades" me to trade in the 40i for the X5M. i paid cash for the X5 so wanting a decent trade-in price to keep my options open for the X5M, and if i'd have loaded up on the 40i i would suffer on trade-in as the price of many options aren't "recoverable" on trade-in (albeit my local BMW dealer have always done a decent trade-in). i'm glad the Mrs isn't reading this and that i used a pseudonym for my username!!

i must say i don't really understand why BMW offered the m Sport without the black grill and exhaust tips as an option - i noticed when i picked up the car that the 8-series, which was UK-launched the same day as the X5, had a black grill and exhaust tips, so i think BMW understand that the blacked-out look looks cooler .. if so, why not offer it as an option and get another £500-£750 out of the customer?
I don't deny 'all' black looks cool, but I am for a bit of chrome 'Bling'. Either way I am sure they will grow on you and after a few months you would not even notice
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:43 AM   #57
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkajkmuk View Post
I don't deny 'all' black looks cool, but I am for a bit of chrome 'Bling'. Either way I am sure they will grow on you and after a few months you would not even notice
yes, it's just personal preference of course - i really like the basic design of the car so i'm quibbling over a grill - my wife thinks i'm a nerd and thinks there a a million other things that we should spend the money on but i'm holding firm!
      01-15-2019, 06:01 AM   #58
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I like your style! Just don't spend £3k on some ceramic coating as I am sure that will not be recoverable...

Mine now looks to have been pushed back another week - maybe a delay with getting these things on a boat. Anyone else checked on their UK delivery decently?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:26 AM   #59
BMW Cork
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW G07 M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
I like your style! Just don't spend £3k on some ceramic coating as I am sure that will not be recoverable...

Mine now looks to have been pushed back another week - maybe a delay with getting these things on a boat. Anyone else checked on their UK delivery decently?
My Week 49 Build which was to be delivered Week 4 has been pushed out to Week 8.

It's been sitting in the Charleston Port the last two weeks.

All X5 deliveries to Ireland are through Southampton so would be on the same boat as UK Customers.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:38 AM   #60
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Cork View Post
My Week 49 Build which was to be delivered Week 4 has been pushed out to Week 8.

All X5 deliveries to Ireland are through Southampton so would be on the same boat as UK Customers.
They don't go to Southampton direct from USA, all will go to Bremerhaven first to be processed by BMW there, as car is classed as an import from Germany, not USA.
So, yes ultimately, will be on same boat as UK customers but not neccessarily the same one as came from USA (but possibly)
      01-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #61
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Cork View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Just checked and my week 6 delivery has been pushed to week 8 as well. Well it will now be a 19 plate. But still curious as to what is keeping the car this long given the build completed end of Dec Which is so LAST year now. 😜
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #62
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

NK that is a really good point...might as well push to March 1st.

Suspect ours will be on the same boat then.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #63
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Few more pics

Quote:

Few more pics attached ... just waiting for the IND parts to finish off the simple but cool look, haha
Attached Images

JustChris17483.00
1230vani648.50
      01-18-2019, 02:33 AM   #64
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

155 - she is a beauty, although this is like torture seeing what mine will look like from the outside with a UK plate on it. Looking forward to seeing the grill - I suspect it is a must. Which interior did you go for? Keep the pics coming so we can live vicariously.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #65
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hmm Just had a call from my dealer stating that the car is at sea and due to be with them on 28 Jan. Not sure who to trust as the genius still thinks it is week 8 delivery.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #66
MSX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkajkmuk View Post
Hmm Just had a call from my dealer stating that the car is at sea and due to be with them on 28 Jan. Not sure who to trust as the genius still thinks it is week 8 delivery.
I was told that the shipping takes around 4 weeks once its left
Appreciate 0