BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2021, 01:05 PM   #221
teejnut
Rep
Drives: Looking

Would anyone have any guesses or thoughts about when the touchscreen feature will come back?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 01:11 PM   #222
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplatinum777 View Post
It's going to be option 2. BMW has issued a "stop sale" on these units. Normally, "stop sales" are used for cars with crucial production/engineering issues--often safety ones--that are supposed to be fixed by the dealer once corporate comes up with a fix. Only then can those cars be delivered and sold to customers.

In this case, BMW is using a stop sale for the iDrive software on all incoming "touchscreen-delete" units. The software loaded at the factory likely doesn't have any implementation for a lack of a touchscreen, and so it needs to be altered. Delaying the deliveries or gumming up the pipeline would be disastrous. So your car will arrive as scheduled, but will sit at the dealer until at least the 11th, when corporate releases the patched software. They won't be allowed to deliver the car to you until that's done.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm told they just finished building my X5 today. It typically only takes 5-7 days for vehicles to reach my dealer from SC, so mine will likely show up around the 8th and will sit there for a few days.
so, i called bmw genius. the guy said that my x5 should get to the dealership tomorrow actually, but then he gave me conflicting info regarding when i'd be able to take delivery. he said that he doesn't see a "stop sale" on it, but still said that he would lean more towards not being able to take delivery until nov 11 or later. =/
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #223
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnyd76 View Post
My question is gesture control. Would that still work with the non-touchscreen?
of course gesture control will work as it doesn't require any touch. (its touch-free. that's the whole point.) there's a camera in the roofliner that's looks for the hand gestures in the shaded area (below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejnut View Post
Would anyone have any guesses or thoughts about when the touchscreen feature will come back?
way to soon to tell. The deleted touch screen just came to be known a few days ago.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #224
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 GC, 2022 X5 M50I

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnyd76 View Post
I was a week 44 build and got the news that I have a removed touchscreen since this is my first BMW, so it's a bit disappointing. My SA said you shouldn't use the touchscreen anyway when you drive, and I told him that isn't the point. My question is gesture control. Would that still work with the non-touchscreen?
This is just a terrible response by a sales rep. Back to the what about when I am parked or a passenger wants to touch it, am I aloud to use the idrive controller when I drive, oh wait... why is BMW marketing this as a touch screen in the first place when "drivers shouldnt be using it". Next will they lower the HP and say, "you shoudlnt be using all that HP anyways"???

This may be a deal breaker for me, been thrown around the ringer with build dates moving back multiple times after having confirmed production dates that were not really confirmed. I agreed to drop B&W after losing many other features, the touch screen may be the last straw that breaks the camels back. I have an M5 on order that has been pushed back months and this X5 M50I for my wife who using touch screen all the time. Losing soft close doors is one expensive retrofit I already have to do after our last 5 BMW's having.

Really wish I didnt sell her X5 when I had a promised confirmed production date. I am waiting to hear back from my REP but enough is enough, I get it with the times being tough but such a poor way to treat your customers.

China factories will be closing down Jan through March of next year for the Olympics in effort to clean up the pollution problem, just wait to see how bad things get then. I have a feeling it will be bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #225
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
so, i called bmw genius. the guy said that my x5 should get to the dealership tomorrow actually, but then he gave me conflicting info regarding when i'd be able to take delivery. he said that he doesn't see a "stop sale" on it, but still said that he would lean more towards not being able to take delivery until nov 11 or later. =/
That's strange. They said they would do a stop-sale. If there's not a stop-sale, then that means the car is fully functional. And that there's no reason they should need to wait until the 11th to delivery your car to you.

I would talk to your dealer and see what they see; they're the ones that'll be PDI-ing the car and handling the transaction once it arrives.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 1
nomoracin761.00
      11-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #226
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Just talked to my dealer, they had not read the memo yet either. Of course tried to sell me on how 500 dollars was a great value. I explained multiple times that my wife uses the touch screen and we sold the 2017 x5 50i with only 26k miles to retain features and to gain new features and now I’m being told many of the new features are worthless???
My rep is looking to see what he can do but likely going to result in 2 cancelled orders, the x5 and my m5 competition. This has been nothing short of a terrible buying experience from start until now. BMW is on the brink of losing a lifer. I may be a dime a dozen but I have a feeling I don’t stand alone. Buying a car should be a much better experience, especially when buying a 130k and 100k car.
Appreciate 4
91Eunos105.00
nZtiZia4714.50
nomoracin761.00
      11-01-2021, 04:16 PM   #227
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnutt19 View Post
Just talked to my dealer, they had not read the memo yet either. Of course tried to sell me on how 500 dollars was a great value. I explained multiple times that my wife uses the touch screen and we sold the 2017 x5 50i with only 26k miles to retain features and to gain new features and now I’m being told many of the new features are worthless???
My rep is looking to see what he can do but likely going to result in 2 cancelled orders, the x5 and my m5 competition. This has been nothing short of a terrible buying experience from start until now. BMW is on the brink of losing a lifer. I may be a dime a dozen but I have a feeling I don’t stand alone. Buying a car should be a much better experience, especially when buying a 130k and 100k car.
I tend to agree. My adjustment was made after the order was placed and not happy about it. The controller will work but I've got a wife and kids that I know will use the touchscreen. They also continue to show the touchscreen as a standard feature on the website without notifying the general public that it's not available.

That being said, my car is awaiting transport and most likely sitting until the 11th when an unknown software update is due out.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 04:34 PM   #228
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

Yes, I think the hardest part is that items such as touchscreen being deleted AFTER an order is placed and even a VIN assigned. (I think my build on the line was one day too late to secure a touchscreen ) I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Parts should be Locked into that order. If items like upgraded sound, etc. aren't available, while this sucks, we know ahead and time and make the decision with that knowledge.

tnutt19 You're best bet might be to search far and wide for a currently produced M50i with most of your options (and forgo ideal color combo). As far as most can tell, you won't get much better treatment from the competition (MB, Audi, etc.) as they too are having the same problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckelvie37 View Post
I tend to agree. My adjustment was made after the order was placed and not happy about it. The controller will work but I've got a wife and kids that I know will use the touchscreen. They also continue to show the touchscreen as a standard feature on the website without notifying the general public that it's not available.

That being said, my car is awaiting transport and most likely sitting until the 11th when an unknown software update is due out.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #229
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep

Does anyone understand why the backup assistant removal is connected to the touchscreen? Did that feature require you to touch the screen? If the backup assistant is software related not sure why that was the code used for the touchscreen removal on the build sheet. I'm also confused about a future replacement. If there is an aftermarket company that can develop one, would they be able to recreate the backup assistant?

What about a warranty replacement? If for whatever reason it goes on the blink what does that mean? After all it's a "standard" feature. Could a current screen just replace the touch less screen without issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 05:16 PM   #230
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
Yes, I think the hardest part is that items such as touchscreen being deleted AFTER an order is placed and even a VIN assigned. (I think my build on the line was one day too late to secure a touchscreen ) I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Parts should be Locked into that order. If items like upgraded sound, etc. aren't available, while this sucks, we know ahead and time and make the decision with that knowledge.

tnutt19 You're best bet might be to search far and wide for a currently produced M50i with most of your options (and forgo ideal color combo). As far as most can tell, you won't get much better treatment from the competition (MB, Audi, etc.) as they too are having the same problems.
Ive searched and unfortunately I am not willing to compromise on colors. We sold our last one because my wife wanted the colors I spec'd, 2017 with only 26k miles but it was a big deal. Honestly there is nothing available either and I cant justify paying the used prices when I sold mine for lower than they are gong for 6 weeks later with much higher miles.
I talked to someone I know that knows his stuff and he believes that touch screen should be as easy as switching out. I am not pushing my dealer to push their rep to get this corrected or for them to correct before I take delivery. Otherwise I will cancel both cars and keep the Alpina B7 until I can get a couple cars from the competition. I get SC issues but the way they have handled it at each step has been pathetic. Ill give them a chance to correct it one last time and then Im gone for good.

My rep read me the letter they got from the national sales rep that went out to all the dealers, the rep was more concerned with sweeping it under the rug than solving and being forward. Saying things like no one used touch screen anyway and the park assist feature will be removed from the website so they dont get questions, nothing about how to handle and take care of the customers. Really big turn off. I also do not want a science project. The patch firmware is not written yet. I am in manufacturing and know how this goes. There will be bugs, there are always bugs and this will be essentially not tested at all. Otherwise they would be flashing the software now and then suggesting updated software when it hits the dealers.

My rep also told me they have cars delivering left and right with missing features. The worst I have heard is power seats removed and the client didnt find out until they showed up to pick up the car, serioiusly who buys a BMW and doesnt get power seats??
Appreciate 2
      11-01-2021, 06:40 PM   #231
jayalways
Rep
Drives: X5

I ordered X5 40i and it went in to production earlier today (VIN got generated), but i still don't see any deletions. Is it safe to assume that this car will have touchscreen, park assist? or will they get deleted later in the stage?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 06:42 PM   #232
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M, M2CS, E46 ZHP, E53 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayalways View Post
I ordered X5 40i and it went in to production earlier today (VIN got generated), but i still don't see any deletions. Is it safe to assume that this car will have touchscreen, park assist? or will they get deleted later in the stage?
No. It has been confirmed that touchscreen is indeed removed from X5 builds (and others) at the moment
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:39 PM   #233
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBavarian View Post
Just talking with my local sales manager. He mentioned that this week touch screens are removed from X5's. Don't know which models. Didn't ask too much about it but I was shocked. Anyone heard anything about this? I guess it means iDrive knob control only. I dont use my touch screen, but this seems like a big deal.

Again, I haven't seen or confirmed anything, but he knows his stuff well.

Hope it doesn't affect anyone here.

Update: Apparently this started for week 43 builds and is projected into week 45 with no end date. cal bears has confirmed that this will be affecting 3, 4, 4 GC, Z4, X5, X6, and X7.
For the record, I just received my X45e, prod week 43 this past saturday (10/30), and still definitely have the touch screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #234
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

I don't have mine yet, but I was late week 43 and it will be removed per my updated build sheet...very frustrated. Anyone after week 43 it's def gone (on 40i and 45e at least).

If you look at last 6 of your Vin, the disappearance based on my research is somewhere between K15xxx and K25xxx (I'm this and it's listed as deleted;(.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pacey View Post
For the record, I just received my X45e, prod week 43 this past saturday (10/30), and still definitely have the touch screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 11:37 PM   #235
Gstahl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e soon

My SA emailed me with same crap everyone is getting. He is very nice and understands i am pissed. Every car i have owned in like the last 10+ years except for a porsche 911 Cup car :-) has had a touch screen. Whats next brakes, tires, doors????

Worst buying experience ever. They cannot estimate parts 3 weeks out? Understand the supply constraints, they should be being very careful not to sell cars they cannot make, or just say they cant make them rather than pawn problem off to their customers.

I have to try out the idrive with apple carplay as i use carplay always and if it is not great, i will cancel and shop different brands (even if it takes a bunch longer.

Note, sales rep was understanding and said i can come in to try anytime.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 11:42 PM   #236
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
I don't have mine yet, but I was late week 43 and it will be removed per my updated build sheet...very frustrated. Anyone after week 43 it's def gone (on 40i and 45e at least).

If you look at last 6 of your Vin, the disappearance based on my research is somewhere between K15xxx and K25xxx (I'm this and it's listed as deleted;(.)
I’m K31xxx.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 11:43 PM   #237
cscones
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayalways View Post

I'm also observing multiple G05s in 150 status with a production date post 11/04 with a VIN assigned that do *not* have the 6UY option indicating the deletion. Is there hope for folks in future build weeks? My understanding is that they would need to be reassigning vins if they are deleting options post vin assignment?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 02:24 AM   #238
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Quote:
I’m K31xxx.
K27xxx checking in
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 02:25 AM   #239
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I’m K31xxx.
I'm K254xx and I have the delete.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 02:32 AM   #240
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckelvie37 View Post
Does anyone understand why the backup assistant removal is connected to the touchscreen? Did that feature require you to touch the screen? If the backup assistant is software related not sure why that was the code used for the touchscreen removal on the build sheet.
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that this isn’t just a simple screen swap - that it was a processor and screen.

Now, speculating, I’d guess that the new processor setup may not be capable of this task. Recording and relaying back 50m of car movement would take some memory and process to accomplish.

BUT, there’s been zero confirmation of this. Given that the rest of the driving hardware is all there (DAP, parking sensors, cameras, etc) and the backup assistant only seems to be a software delete, I think this is a reasonable possibility.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 05:29 AM   #241
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplatinum777 View Post
Quote:
I’m K31xxx.
I'm K254xx and I have the delete.
K244 and deleted
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #242
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Wagon View Post
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that this isn’t just a simple screen swap - that it was a processor and screen.

Now, speculating, I’d guess that the new processor setup may not be capable of this task. Recording and relaying back 50m of car movement would take some memory and process to accomplish.

BUT, there’s been zero confirmation of this. Given that the rest of the driving hardware is all there (DAP, parking sensors, cameras, etc) and the backup assistant only seems to be a software delete, I think this is a reasonable possibility.
That doesn’t make sense, to me.

If it’s a processor swap, that doesn’t just happen in a month’s time. That takes *many* months (sometimes years) to implement. That would mean that BMW had this touchscreen delete on the back burner as a contingency or an eventuality, and we should all be a lot more upset, because we weren’t warned in a timely manner.

It also shouldn’t take *that* much memory to record the driving inputs of the car for 50m—and that’s assuming it’s even the iDrive module that does it. It’s just inputs from a potentiometer somewhere.

It seems unlikely. I rather think it’s just the screen, and the new programming is to remove mentions of the touch functionality for the screen.

Last edited by kplatinum777; 11-02-2021 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18197.00