BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-17-2023, 10:52 AM   #1
bmwfanboywastaken
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2021

Fixing my BMW X5 steering wheel sound

Just wanted to post a quick update regarding a steering wheel noise I was experiencing on my 2021 X5. This noise was extremely prevalent when I was parking and constantly moving the steering wheel so I really wanted to get it fixed.

The BMW dealership I took my car to attempted a fix where they tightened the clock spring area, and retorqued it, but after this fix I could still hear a noise coming from my steering wheel once it warmed up (granted it was much quieter with this fix). Since the problem was still there I needed to schedule another service appointment, but this time I did some research here and found a potential fix.

Eventually, I told them that the steering wheel column might need to be replaced as many others experienced this, and stated here that replacing the steering wheel column completely fixed their issue.

My BMW dealership kept the car for 8 days, 4 of which were when they stated they were trying to replicate the issue, and called me in when they couldn't. Since I previously recorded a video with the noise, I used that as leverage and asked if they could take the car around for a longer drive, let it warm up and then attempt replicating the noise. Eventually, they said they heard the noise, and ordered the column which took 2 days to arrive and another day to install.

So far I don't hear any sort of noise coming from my steering wheel after the fix, and I really hope I don't hear anything again. In short, for y'all experiencing some sort of steering wheel noise, just replace the column as any other fixes will just mask the noise or temporarily fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 12:12 PM   #2
X6ix GTA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfanboywastaken View Post
Just wanted to post a quick update regarding a steering wheel noise I was experiencing on my 2021 X5. This noise was extremely prevalent when I was parking and constantly moving the steering wheel so I really wanted to get it fixed.

The BMW dealership I took my car to attempted a fix where they tightened the clock spring area, and retorqued it, but after this fix I could still hear a noise coming from my steering wheel once it warmed up (granted it was much quieter with this fix). Since the problem was still there I needed to schedule another service appointment, but this time I did some research here and found a potential fix.

Eventually, I told them that the steering wheel column might need to be replaced as many others experienced this, and stated here that replacing the steering wheel column completely fixed their issue.

My BMW dealership kept the car for 8 days, 4 of which were when they stated they were trying to replicate the issue, and called me in when they couldn't. Since I previously recorded a video with the noise, I used that as leverage and asked if they could take the car around for a longer drive, let it warm up and then attempt replicating the noise. Eventually, they said they heard the noise, and ordered the column which took 2 days to arrive and another day to install.

So far I don't hear any sort of noise coming from my steering wheel after the fix, and I really hope I don't hear anything again. In short, for y'all experiencing some sort of steering wheel noise, just replace the column as any other fixes will just mask the noise or [...]
I'm glad it all worked out for you. I had similar issue with my 2022 X6. First time around they did the same fix as was applied to yours. Second time, master mechanic told me the sound was normal and expected. I made a video and sent it to my sales guy and service manager who agreed there was an issue. Third time in, they replaced the steering rack and the issue was finally resolved. May I ask which dealership you go to? I'm with Pfaff.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 12:19 PM   #3
bmwfanboywastaken
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6ix GTA View Post
I'm glad it all worked out for you. I had similar issue with my 2022 X6. First time around they did the same fix as was applied to yours. Second time, master mechanic told me the sound was normal and expected. I made a video and sent it to my sales guy and service manager who agreed there was an issue. Third time in, they replaced the steering rack and the issue was finally resolved. May I ask which dealership you go to? I'm with Pfaff.
Hey, thanks for sharing! I was super surprised when I found out this was an extremely common issue, as you even experienced it. I've seen so many posts here about people experiencing noise from their steering wheel, mainly coming from the X models. I have also read that once the steering wheel rack was replaced, those people never experienced any issues again.

I'm with Policaro!
Appreciate 1
X6ix GTA142.00