Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
it likely has to do with the Corvette's reliability
Oh you mean the most reliable american made race engine ever produced? There's a reason why so many people do LS swaps into cars.

If someone said "pick one to drive 100k miles and track, you will be charged for maintenance by the track staff" I think 95% of us would pick a LT1/LS3/LS6/LS1 powered car any day.

Last edited by HawkeyeGeoff; 03-15-2019 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
N54Yankee2706.00
      03-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #46
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff View Post
Oh you mean the most reliable american made race engine ever produced? There's a reason why so many people do LS swaps into cars.

If someone said "pick one to drive 100k miles and track, you will be charged for maintenance by the track staff" I think 95% of us would pick a LT1/LS3/LS6/LS1 powered car any day.
we're wasting time at this point. I considered buying a C7 Z51 as my dedicated track car but after reading about even those overheating on Vette forums I gave up.

I actually like Corvettes, unlike Porsches, so while I do enjoy tearing the Porsches apart here I don't like it when its about Vettes.

Everyone loves the LSx engines and says they're the best things ever, however, amateur race teams somehow prefer to stroke a S54 engine (a suicidal idea) than just swap one these dirt cheap, reliable and easy to mod engines.

According to people on this thread, the only explanation is these amateur race teams are idiots and refuse to acknowledge the superior reliability of modded LSx engines.
The explanation of why there are no fast Vettes in regular track days as well is also, undoubtedly, that people are idiots as well.

After years and hundreds of track days, I interpret the lack of fast Cayman GT4s as those cars not being fast. Likewise, that people prefer running the crappiest M3 of all time (the US E36) over Vettes at track days or AER races as a complete lack of reliability.
I also put that together with Car and Driver losing two of their C7 Z51 engines during their long term test and the infinite reports of Z06s overheating as those not being reliable either.
The overheating thing points to a symptom of a much larger problem which is -in my opinion- that these cars are made for Excel spreadsheet comparisons and 'check the box' feature lists and not for track use. That's why they didn't bother to check if it overheated or not, because their core audience doesn't give a damn.
The very last thing a modern Z06 needs is more power. But they just had to go and give it another hundred horses for the ZR1... why? Fix the damn Z06 and make it world class.

Vettes suffer the same market placement issue as the STi/Evo. They actually cost real money yet when you get into a M3 or a Golf R (lower performing but in the ballpark price-wise) you usually end up with one of those.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #47
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

How have you not seen Corvettes set fast times at your local track? I can't think of one I've been to that doesn't have one at or near the top of the list. Why am I in this stupid argument?
Appreciate 3
      03-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #48
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff View Post

Google "BMW crate engines" and Google "GM crate engines"

and see what websites come up
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #49
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
we're wasting time at this point. I considered buying a C7 Z51 as my dedicated track car but after reading about even those overheating on Vette forums I gave up.

I actually like Corvettes, unlike Porsches, so while I do enjoy tearing the Porsches apart here I don't like it when its about Vettes.

Everyone loves the LSx engines and says they're the best things ever, however, amateur race teams somehow prefer to stroke a S54 engine (a suicidal idea) than just swap one these dirt cheap, reliable and easy to mod engines.

According to people on this thread, the only explanation is these amateur race teams are idiots and refuse to acknowledge the superior reliability of modded LSx engines.
The explanation of why there are no fast Vettes in regular track days as well is also, undoubtedly, that people are idiots as well.

After years and hundreds of track days, I interpret the lack of fast Cayman GT4s as those cars not being fast. Likewise, that people prefer running the crappiest M3 of all time (the US E36) over Vettes at track days or AER races as a complete lack of reliability.
I also put that together with Car and Driver losing two of their C7 Z51 engines during their long term test and the infinite reports of Z06s overheating as those not being reliable either.
The overheating thing points to a symptom of a much larger problem which is -in my opinion- that these cars are made for Excel spreadsheet comparisons and 'check the box' feature lists and not for track use. That's why they didn't bother to check if it overheated or not, because their core audience doesn't give a damn.
The very last thing a modern Z06 needs is more power. But they just had to go and give it another hundred horses for the ZR1... why? Fix the damn Z06 and make it world class.

Vettes suffer the same market placement issue as the STi/Evo. They actually cost real money yet when you get into a M3 or a Golf R (lower performing but in the ballpark price-wise) you usually end up with one of those.
On the previous page you mention mud slinging and here you are going on a full out, long winded massive mud slinging, angry rant. You're certainly not turning this into a "Better discussion"
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #50
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
The current Z06 has stupid power already and also has decent handling. But when you get into a 100k car that smells like epoxy, or drive it and hear creaks and vibrations from the stereo playing at normal volume... you realize what you've bought.
As an owner of a C7 Z06 - there is no "epoxy" smell. The leather quality is as good as the F80/F82 if you get the 2lz/3lz. I don't really hear any noticeable "creaks". And as far as the stereo goes, it is not as good as the harmon kardon on the F80/F82 and the vibrations you hear are because it is tuned for exxesive bass. You have to turn that all the way down to minimum levels and everything is good.
Appreciate 4
N54Yankee2706.00
Rmtt8206.00
      03-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #51
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
I considered buying a C7 Z51 as my dedicated track car but after reading about even those overheating on Vette forums I gave up.
The "overheating" issue only happened on the Z06 models. Brahhh.... did you even do basic research before you gave up
Appreciate 1
Closed Thread