BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
JayInVa
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport Tanzanite Blue

2019 BMW X5 4.0 vs 2020 GLE 450

All, sincerest apologies in advance if this topic has already been covered somewhere else in this forum and I've missed it. Looking for any and all opinions regarding these 2 choices. I am firmly decided on purchasing one of these two in the next couple of months. I've already put a similar post in an MB forum. Now I want to hear the +/- from the bimmer crowd. Obviously, I may find a bias here and that's fine too.

A little about my situation -
  • I've test-driven both of them (GLE most recently a few weeks ago and the X5 late January). Unfortunately, the GLE still had the plastic on the inside and outside and wasn't "tuned/checked out" according to the salesman; Not so sold on that idea, but what do I know. My lasting impressions are positive from both of these vehicles now that some time has passed.
  • Currently, I'm driving a 2009 Infiniti. This would be the first BMW for me. The only German car I've ever owned was a '91 MB SEL 420 sedan
  • The X5 had a definite tight and sporty feel to it whereas the GLE had more of a cruiser, luxury feel to it but not "mushy" like the Audi Q7 3.0T I tested a short while back.
  • The wife is sold on the X5, but I'm torn between the two for the time-being. Ultimately, I've been given the nod that I get the choice and wifey is happy regardless.
  • I feel as if I can't go wrong either way given that I'm getting out of an old Infiniti!

Some questions -
  • What have you all found maintenance/reliability-wise with these X5s past and present? I have some SERIOUS doubts about the new X5 with all of the iDrive 7 software issues and gremlins I've been reading about on these forums the past couple months. I also have a good friend of mine that has a 2017 X5 that had to have the whole head/dash unit replaced from Germany - eventually the dealership gave him a brand new X5 because they couldn't fix the issues after thousands of miles and tons of hours in the shop! Last thing I want, is to drop $80K on a brand-new vehicle only to see it in the shop constantly after 2 weeks and have my first BMW experience sour me to the brand indefinitely. As for the GLE, it is too new to even know. :/
  • Any former GLE owners that have switched to X5? X5 to GLE? Owners of both?
  • Is it really a simple matter of the trite and tacit understanding "BMW is driver-centric, focused on sport handling and Mercedes is for luxury"?
  • I DO plan on test-driving both these vehicles again with in days of each other to get a better idea.

Thanks in advance for any answers and advice and sorry for the long-winded post! Really torn on this decision for the time-being.

-Jay
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

They're both going to have bugs. This is the 1st year for a German SUV!
Anyways, my wife's X5 40i has been flawless so far. The X5 40i has the superior powertrain. I also like the interior of the X5 much more than the GLE. The GLE has better space in the back, but we only have one 8 year old son who thinks the X5 back seat is the size of a living room!

I find it amusing that MB had to go all out for the mild hybrid to end up with basically the same MPG as the 40i while producing less power...

But back to reliability... German cars will never be on-average (because lemons come in every brand!) Lexus/Infinity reliable. The X5 is more comfortable than my 5 series and handles really well for such a large vehicle. It even rides nice on the M sport non air suspension on 22" wheels! BMW chassis tuning is top notch these days...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

I bought a GLC when it first came out and have had no issues, very few issues on the GLC forum. Have plumped for GLE as in UK much better value for money and got a decent discount which I can't get on X5. Agree ride in X5 is sportier if that's what you want, ride in GLE is very comfortable.

Not sure about comment above unless it is different in US:
"I find it amusing that MB had to go all out for the mild hybrid to end up with basically the same MPG as the 40i while producing less power..."

In Uk X5 4.0i produces 340bhp, GLE produces 367BHP + 22BHP from hybrid system.

MBUX system really sold it to me, voice control on it is brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #4
18340i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

the new GLE bounces up and down, the X5 doesn't

The X5 looks nicer inside, but that's subjective.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:22 PM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
I bought a GLC when it first came out and have had no issues, very few issues on the GLC forum. Have plumped for GLE as in UK much better value for money and got a decent discount which I can't get on X5. Agree ride in X5 is sportier if that's what you want, ride in GLE is very comfortable.

"I find it amusing that MB had to go all out for the mild hybrid to end up with basically the same MPG as the 40i while producing less power..."

Yet in real world performance the X5 40i is actually faster 0-60mph than the GLE 53 AMG. MB hybrid system doesn’t yield real world performance even with the momentarily kick the electric engines provides with the gas engine for maximum acceleration. The 5.3 seconds 0-60mph from the GLE 53 AMG isn’t going to cut it yet the automotive press felt MB was going in a “different direction” than performance with the upcoming GLE AMG line?? That sounds like bizarre reasoning.
The GLE 450 is even slower.

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-21-2019 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
magbarn167.50
      03-21-2019, 10:58 PM   #6
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:

Yet in real world performance the X5 40i is actually faster 0-60mph than the GLE 53 AMG. MB hybrid system doesn't yield real world performance even with the momentarily kick the electric engines provides with the gas engine for maximum acceleration. The 5.3 seconds 0-60mph from the GLE 53 AMG isn't going to cut it yet the automotive press felt MB was going in a different direction than performance with the upcoming GLE AMG line?? That sounds like bizarre reasoning.
The GLE 450 is even slower.
Mercedes couldn't figure out how to make it fast so they made things more expensive with the illusion of speed
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 2
MystroX56283.50
      03-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #7
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:

When your GLC first came out the COMAND system that it came with was already old hat with the bugs worked out. iDrive 7 made it's debut with the G05 so not exactly a fair comparison.
Nope it's the same between UK and US, BMW horses are stronger than MB horses. Voice control is useless in every car to me. I'd rather have a button to push. The GLE also has cheap bits with pleather MBTEX as standard at a higher MSRP...
My local MB dealers also treated my family like peasants by ignoring us for a full solid 15 minutes and basically told us to pound sand when wanting anything below MSRP...
Attached Images

Last edited by magbarn; 03-21-2019 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 04:22 AM   #8
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18340i View Post

Not true regarding bouncing up and down, yes looks are subjective, I like the X5 outside and GLE inside and NO wrinkly seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 05:10 AM   #9
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
There is mostly nothing wrong with the technology in the G05. The reason everyone thinks it is all downhill with this model is because people only use the forum to complain/post about issues, rather than use it to compliment its reliability.

If all the people with working cars made a post, we would easily wash away the faulty ones.

The chances of your car needing important parts replaced and software reinstalled is highly unlikely. We've had pretty much no issues with our car, and are very happy.
Appreciate 1
kleo12.00
      03-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #10
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

So my Dec build has been mostly fine. Recent software update seemed to fix most things. I had an 2008 X5 for 11 years prior to my G05 and had no major issues. Most expensive fix was the rear tailgate hydraulic went out after 9 years.

I think most of the software issues were from people who got the first ones off the factory floor. I'm not worried about software issues. They can push an update. I would assume the Merc will have similar with it's new tech. Industry issue is that companies who for decades were engine experts are having to become tech companies. There's going to be growing pains. Software update are easier then having an engine replaced.

Buy the one that makes you the happiest, and that you like to turn and look back at. All cars will have some kind of issues.
2020 f30 440 xDrive Convertible
2004 e85 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #11
JayInVa
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport Tanzanite Blue

Thanks all. Appreciate the insight and opinions. I’m certainly leaning in the X5 direction. Now I just have to decide if I want to pony it up for a 5.0 or a 4.0
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #12
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInVa View Post
Thanks all. Appreciate the insight and opinions. I’m certainly leaning in the X5 direction. Now I just have to decide if I want to pony it up for a 5.0 or a 4.0
50i is worth it
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:09 AM   #13
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18340i View Post

Not true regarding bouncing up and down, yes looks are subjective, I like the X5 outside and GLE inside and NO wrinkly seats.
The new 2020 GLE definitely does bounce up and down. X5 does not, AFAICT.

But the bounce feature costs extra.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #14
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

That GLE bounce is such a joke. A marketing gimmick to people that know nothing of off-road driving and would be terrified to drive on gravel roads or across the lawn. Lets go off roading with low profile tires on 20”+ wheels.... Not to get into the finer points of getting a vehicle unstuck but you can bounce your way into getting stuck even deeper.
Obviously MB staged the video to exploit a housewife’s fear of getting stuck in the desert while picking up groceries at Fresh Life.

This is one of those items like RR underwater sonar that is a such a gimmick and might be used by .009% of their owners. If they were seriously worried about getting stuck, they would just use a winch. MB seems so unfocused with the new GLE its disturbing how far off the mark they got with one generation.

X5 has a split tailgate, the GLE doesn’t. This is a everyday feature that is actually used in a luxury SUV.

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-23-2019 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #15
OneBP210
Banned
Rep
Drives: One

You’re going to get the full fanboy experience in both forums so I’d suggest writing down the pros for each car and see which one fits you best.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 09:39 PM   #16
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
That GLE bounce is such a joke. A marketing gimmick to people that know nothing of off-road driving and would be terrified to drive on gravel roads or across the lawn. Lets go off roading with low profile tires on 20"+ wheels.... Not to get into the finer points of getting a vehicle unstuck but you can bounce your way into getting stuck even deeper.
Obviously MB staged the video to exploit a housewife's fear of getting stuck in the desert while picking up groceries at Fresh Life.

This is one of those items like RR underwater sonar that is a such a gimmick and might be used by .009% of their owners. If they were seriously worried about getting stuck, they would just use a winch. MB seems so unfocused with the new GLE its disturbing how far off the mark they got with one generation.

X5 has a split tailgate, the GLE doesn't. This is a everyday feature that is actually used in a luxury SUV.
Like I said before, GLE is for rich soccer moms
Appreciate 0