BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

summer tires

I finally had a chance to change the winter wheels to summer wheels on my wife's X5. In the middle of the job, I noticed something odd. The 22 inch summer tires are not directional tires whereas the winter tires clear show the directions in which they have to be installed. Does this mean the either tire can go left or right?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 06:46 PM   #2
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40iX

Your tire will say on the sidewall which side faces out; if it indeed is directional.

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
2019 BMW 440iX M Performance Cabriolet
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawzy44 View Post
Your tire will say on the sidewall which side faces out; if it indeed is directional.
That was the only piece of info I could gather from the tires. The tires are already on the wheels and they are staggered. Can I disregard the directions as long as I am able to see "outside" on the sidewall?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:42 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
if it says OUTSIDE on the sidewall, and you're positive you don't see any directional arrows, you're fine. can post a photo of said tire(s) for a more objective answer (higher quality, the better)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:47 PM   #5
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesbimmer View Post
That was the only piece of info I could gather from the tires. The tires are already on the wheels and they are staggered. Can I disregard the directions as long as I am able to see "outside" on the sidewall?
If there is no arrow showing direction of rotation they can go on either side. Correct, there should be an indicator showing what side goes “ inside” or “ outside” I’ve had a tire shop mount a set backwards, they mounted the “ inside” facing outward.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:29 PM   #6
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesbimmer View Post
I finally had a chance to change the winter wheels to summer wheels on my wife's X5. In the middle of the job, I noticed something odd. The 22 inch summer tires are not directional tires whereas the winter tires clear show the directions in which they have to be installed. Does this mean the either tire can go left or right?
Assuming the wife has the PZeros? I know they are clearly marked with "outside". I'm 99% sure there is no directional arrow on the outside wall of them (I've never looked at the inside wall). If no directional arrow, then they are non-directional and side doesn't matter as long as the outside is out. I think a fair number of PZero models are non-directional.
      04-27-2021, 07:49 AM   #7
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Asymmetrical tires have different tread profiles on the left and right side. The outside is responsible for the performance of the tire on dry roads and ensures cornering stability. The inside of the tire is responsible for fast and effective water drainage and behavior on wet roads.

In the past, asymmetrical tires were more likely to be fitted to high-performance cars. Today they are very popular even in medium-sized cars. The main advantages of asymmetrical tires are, they combine the performance of symmetrical and directional tires. This type of tire ensures great cornering even at high speeds. In addition, asymmetrical tires are a perfect fit for cars with modern braking and traction systems. This type of tire works perfectly with these gimmicks. A very important property of asymmetrical tires is that they wear more evenly (than other types of tires). Another advantage appreciated is the attractive appearance of asymmetrical tires. Asymmetrical tread pattern occurs in summer and winter tires as well as in all-season tires.
Appreciate 0