BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #23
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Dirty towels, dirty scrubbers. You can't trust run of the mill car washes. You think everybody's Cars before you didn't have massive amounts of dirt on them before you didn't contaminate all the supplies they use to touch your car with?

Unless they're using fresh towels every wash and people who know what they're doing (not using the bottom towels dirtier by the bottom of the car than up top) your paints going to get swirled. Dudes getting paid 9$ an hour don't care.

Either wash it yourself, use a high end mobile/private detailer, or supply your own towels(who's gonna do that right?). I get my car full PPF wrapped and use my mobile guy, at least I know he knows what he's doing and his towels don't have the remnants of 400 other cars before me.
      02-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #24
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

It's all about how the car is washed. I'm speaking from experience, as I have two Black Sapphire's G05 & G07. It's not Tanzanite, but it's an equally unforgiving color. Both cars have been properly paint corrected and ceramic coated. For weekly maintenance washing, the same company that did my paint correction and ceramic also does the washing. Its not always easy doing it the right way, and it certainly costs more, but the end result is always worth it. Of course it's much easier to just stop in at the local car wash, even the "high end" ones, but the reality is that your car is being washed and dried with sandpaper towels, and that's why the results are terrible.
      02-21-2021, 11:37 AM   #25
Paal Gjestang
Mr. Pål Gjestang
Norway
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp. (2019), X5M (2022), M

I have exactly the same experience with a new X5M (F95) in Tanzaniteblue metallic. Swirls come as soon as you touch the paint. This has absolutely nothing to do with how you wash your car. I always wash my cars by hand. These swirls are even made of premium polishing paper. Maybe treatment with ceramic paint will make things better. I'm trying now. However, this is only to resolve the symptoms, not the real cause. Here there must be a problem with the paint itself and the clearcoat used. Tanzaniteblue matalic is a disgrace to BMW. It simply seems unsuitable for use on a car. So what do we and BMW do with this problem? I have never experienced anything like this. And I've had a lot of BMWs over the years.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 11:47 AM   #26
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pål Gjestang View Post
I have exactly the same experience with a new X5M (F95) in Tanzaniteblue metallic. Swirls come as soon as you touch the paint. This has absolutely nothing to do with how you wash your car. I always wash my cars by hand. These swirls are even made of premium polishing paper. Maybe treatment with ceramic paint will make things better. I'm trying now. However, this is only to resolve the symptoms, not the real cause. Here there must be a problem with the paint itself and the clearcoat used. Tanzaniteblue matalic is a disgrace to BMW. It simply seems unsuitable for use on a car. So what do we and BMW do with this problem? I have never experienced anything like this. And I've had a lot of BMWs over the years.
Thanks for posting. I owned a bunch of cars, and washed them all at the same car washes through the years, and never had problems like this. My previous X6M was a 2017 in carbon black, and after 3 year lease it also looked pretty bad with a bunch of swirls, but never as bad as the new car after the very first wash.

My future cars are going to be all silver.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #27
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M50i

I’m curious how this turns out after applying ceramic, so please do keep it updated. I have a TB BMW X5 M50i on order, and I plan on getting it coated straight away. Others seem to love this color, and it looks beautiful (even on not new cars), so I do suspect that the coating / wash technique has ALOT to do with it.

BTW, I managed to personally scratch my Donnington Grey X5M when it was a couple of months old by using an improper towel, so the greys also can get swirls. My detailer corrected it for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #28
Paal Gjestang
Mr. Pål Gjestang
Norway
Rep

My color has been Silverstone II for many years. Also the last two X5Ms I have had (F70 and F85). This time it was - for some reason - not possible for BMW to deliver in this color. Therefore, I had to make another choice, and fell for Tanzaniteblue metalic. And what a disappointment this has been. Beautiful color, but in terms of quality a scandal.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:19 PM   #29
Paal Gjestang
Mr. Pål Gjestang
Norway
Rep

I will keep you guys updated. The car will return in early March. According to this paint, washing is only a small fragment of the case. It usually is the problem, but in this case, everything that affects the paint is a problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:58 PM   #30
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Dont get me wrong, TBII is one of the most gorgeous colors I ever seen on a car, but its obviously a pain to upkeep. I am not that passionate, so at this point I basically given up on trying to keep it perfect, if I get swirls it is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #31
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLE 63S

In my experience, the only way to guarantee no swirls is to PPF the entire vehicle, however it's certainly a big investment....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 09:00 PM   #32
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
Quote:
Thanks for posting. I owned a bunch of cars, and washed them all at the same car washes through the years, and never had problems like this. My previous X6M was a 2017 in carbon black, and after 3 year lease it also looked pretty bad with a bunch of swirls, but never as bad as the new car after the very first wash.

Had a 2018 BSM x6m and just like you after 3 years of wash it looks better compared to 1 wash on this new 2021 BSM x6m. Same car wash that has done all my M cars here in the Bay Area. Same exact weekly regimen.

Had it paint corrected and ceramic coated last week and it looks better now but who knows how long that will last.

Bottom line, I believe the clear coat used in this generation sucks.
      02-21-2021, 09:23 PM   #33
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
Had a 2018 BSM x6m and just like you after 3 years of wash it looks better compared to 1 wash on this new 2021 BSM x6m. Same car wash that has done all my M cars here in the Bay Area. Same exact weekly regimen.

Had it paint corrected and ceramic coated last week and it looks better now but who knows how long that will last.

Well, to be fair, during the first wash they even scratched up all the black trim around the doors, the tail lights and the headlights, so it was certainly out of the ordinary. But still, even after paint correction and ceramic coating, there are some swirls after the 2nd wash, so I pretty much stopped caring.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 09:50 PM   #34
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Quote:
Quote:

Well, to be fair, during the first wash they even scratched up all the black trim around the doors, the tail lights and the headlights, so it was certainly out of the ordinary. But still, even after paint correction and ceramic coating, there are some swirls after the 2nd wash, so I pretty much stopped caring.
Yeah my theory is this clearcoat is "soft". My ceramic guy said the same thing.

I don't know what I'll end up doing but I am very against putting PPF on a lease given I may not even keep this thing 36 months.

Dunno! I'll see how this plays out.
      02-21-2021, 11:18 PM   #35
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would agree. The clear coat is soft, so more vulnerable to scratches.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #36
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
I know right?!?

Mine was beat up straight off the truck. Wet sanding, PPF and ceramic cures all of any issues. But dark paint doesn't give you any breaks.
Attached Images

2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #37
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
I know right?!?

Mine was beat up straight off the truck. Wet sanding, PPF and ceramic cures all of any issues. But dark paint doesn't give you any breaks.
Wow! Those swirl marks belong to a new car?No way!
I would have refused the car in its current condition.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 01:59 PM   #38
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah my theory is this clearcoat is "soft". My ceramic guy said the same thing.

I don't know what I'll end up doing but I am very against putting PPF on a lease given I may not even keep this thing 36 months.

Dunno! I'll see how this plays out.
Ceramic coat it. I read it somewhere can't recall Clear C is 3H and Ceramic C is 9-10H depends. No contest here.

Cleaning is safe and so easy. I washed it that day using ONR and red sponge inside my garage, as weather was bad . I was surprised how easily the sponge glide over the surface without leaving a single mark.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #39
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdahman View Post
Wow! Those swirl marks belong to a new car?No way!
I would have refused the car in its current condition.
It was filthy, thus covering it up. I didn't want it washed because paint correction goes a lot smoother when that shop gets the car for that kind of work and my dude requests it doesn't get touched if possible. In hindsight, we would of refused it, but being dirty, my chick didn't catch i and the sales guy (in texas) thought it was fine. When I got it in Vegas, it was def not fine. Oh well. Got a good deal, but had to deal with Texas people that are not used to discerning buyers. Texas dudes said they'd cover the cost of the 'buff' job, they're gonna have sticker shock from the wet sanding.

It's good to go now though.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:52 PM   #40
21x6m
Rep
Drives: BMW x6m

looking at those pics pulls at my heart strings. I love the darker color blues. I have two cars like that now and I suffer. I finally did a total paint correction and buff. Following that I had the 3M film guys wrap my car in clear gloss. No more paint swirls and I can go to any wash... so long as they dont gouge it.

Cannot wait to do that to my other dark blue car. only did half trying to save $$, just live with headaches now... wrap it!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #41
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Quote:
Mine was beat up straight off the truck. ...
Quote:
...and the sales guy (in texas) thought it was fine. When I got it in Vegas, it was def not fine...
Was your car trailered in an open-trailer type carrier? Wondering if being driven through the dusty parts of the country, Texas>>>Nevada, could have exposed your car to a high speed dust beating in an open trailer causing the swirls. Or rock and pebble kickback from the Semi's wheels to the open trailer area.

I've always insisted on an enclosed carrier, like Inter-City Lines or other similar.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #42
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
Was your car trailered in an open-trailer type carrier? Wondering if being driven through the dusty parts of the country, Texas>>>Nevada, could have exposed your car to a high speed dust beating in an open trailer causing the swirls. Or rock and pebble kickback from the Semi's wheels to the open trailer area.

I've always insisted on an enclosed carrier, like Inter-City Lines or other similar.
No idea how it got to the texas dealer, had to be an open carrier. From Lubbock to Vegas, we commissioned enclosed car transportation and the X5M wasn't even close to the nicest rig they had onboard. Classics and supercars usually. They told me that they just run from Florida to LA and back usually, but with covid, they're taking pickups and drop offs sometimes in between.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 09:40 AM   #43
Paal Gjestang
Mr. Pål Gjestang
Norway
Rep

My car is now coated with CPG CeramicPro. No significant improvement of the paint as I see it. Maybe a little bit more durable, but any use of polishing paper (after use of vax) or chamois leather (after gentle handwash) still makes small scratches /swivels. Totally unacceptable! BMW's Tanzanite blue metallic appears to be totally unsuitable as car paint. I'm just more frustrated than before.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #44
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My car is now coated with CPG CeramicPro. No significant improvement of the paint as I see it. Maybe a little bit more durable, but any use of polishing paper (after use of vax) or chamois leather (after gentle handwash) still makes small scratches /swivels. Totally unacceptable! BMW's Tanzanite blue metallic appears to be totally unsuitable as car paint. I'm just more frustrated than before.
how that has to do with the paint? the paint is currently underneath 2 layers
(1) Clearcoat (2) Ceramic coat

whatever marks you see now is on the ceramic

I coated my car using IGL Kenzo, wash it myself, 0 swirls.
Appreciate 0