BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2021, 11:05 AM   #23
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I was on the fence but when I drove my car back from MD after taking delivery a Dodge Challenger and a Ford raptor both aggressively tried to race me. Not sure if it was the badging or the way I was driving . Sealed the deal for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 12:13 PM   #24
Xccelerate
Back in a BMW
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M Comp

I love the x5m comp badge. Typically de-badge but wont be on this one.

11' 1M Coupe Valencia 6MT OEM+ 289 of 740
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:50 PM   #25
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiemalibu View Post
Methinks this is a very valid POV. Not how it is where you live, but I'm literally the only person in probably 250-300 miles with an F95 so even with tints, the personalized license plate, red seats, baby seat and Star Wars Rebel Alliance (Red Five) magnet on the back all identify me and my car pretty easily. There just aren't too many MWM/Sakhir M-Cars in this part of the state. Not many M-Cars period really. Now go to SoFla and it's a whole different ball game. Kids get M4s for their Sweet 16s. But North of Orlando you're lucky if your dealer has even 1 M-Car on the lot.

I think we may be at different stages in life, so it's good to get the opinion of someone of a different age group/ilk.

I love the car for what it is and (I assume) the average X5 owner probably doesn't have much of a clue that my F95 is like Shooter McGavin: it eats pieces of shit like them for breakfast (no I don't eat pieces of shit for breakfast). I wonder though, does the guy w/ the regular X5 know about the F95, I'd love to hear some thoughts on that. I know I did, but I wonder if others are as into the bimmer culture as we are...

Pookie ... you're quite right, stage of life is a factor, but for me it's more about the car aesthetic mostly.

i'm 47, and not really concerned about my car as a status symbol, it;s more my hobby and i like my car to look a certain way ... but that's just for me, not "people". i have a family and demanding job and this is one area of my life that is literally all about what i want, so i don't need to justify it to wife / kids / clients!!

i'm a tax accountant and the owner of a very profitable company, so much so that in various ways i have to dial down anything that communicates to clients or staff how much the company actually makes, so that was another reason for de-badging (i doubt my staff would know that my X5MC is different to a standard X5, and that suits me just fine!)

when i was younger (20's) i must admit i did want to show off a bit that i was doing well at work, not so much to random people but more to family and friends. when i got a Ford Focus RS, there was no way i was going to de-badge the many, many "RS" (Rally Sport) badges that were all over the car!!
Attached Images

03-31-2021, 09:49 PM   #26
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155ND View Post
Pookie ... you're quite right, stage of life is a factor, but for me it's more about the car aesthetic mostly.

i'm a tax accountant and the owner of a very profitable company, so much so that in various ways i have to dial down anything that communicates to clients or staff how much the company actually makes, so that was another reason for de-badging (i doubt my staff would know that my X5MC is different to a standard X5, and that suits me just fine!)
Ohh definitely understand. My Godfather always told me that if your accountant is driving something nice (or significantly nicer than his clients) it's a red flag. So I definitely understand your concerns.

I looked at a lot of vehicles during my most recent search. I wanted something that was a bit of a step up in luxury from the base X5, but that doesn't become a professional stigmata like say a Porsche Cayenne and doesn't scream "look at me!" like say an Urus.

Honestly, save the customization options on Porsches and the half second difference in straight line speed for the Lambo, I'm of the opinion that the aesthetic of the F95 is superior in every way. I'll say this though, while I probably wouldn't de-badge, I'm certainly not going to up-badge. So I agree with other sentiments re: adding a badge you didn't buy in this and other threads.
Appreciate 1
155ND907.00
      04-01-2021, 08:41 AM   #27
evanaswan
Yngwie J Malmsteen
United_States
Rep
Drives: F93 M8 GC - G07 X7

Debage

I didn't buy this for status. I debage every car. I like people not knowing and wondering wtf was that, as all they see is rapid pull away. To each their own. Can't tell I how many morons I see putting fake M and Amg badges. Work hard and don't try so hard.

If I needed to be seen I'd buy a Yellow Porsche
Appreciate 2
155ND907.00
Russ103308.00
      04-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #28
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83, X5 m50i

Quote:
Quote:

Ohh definitely understand. My Godfather always told me that if your accountant is driving something nice (or significantly nicer than his clients) it's a red flag. So I definitely understand your concerns.

I looked at a lot of vehicles during my most recent search. I wanted something that was a bit of a step up in luxury from the base X5, but that doesn't become a professional stigmata like say a Porsche Cayenne and doesn't scream "look at me!" like say an Urus.

Honestly, save the customization options on Porsches and the half second difference in straight line speed for the Lambo, I'm of the opinion that the aesthetic of the F95 is superior in every way. I'll say this though, while I probably wouldn't de-badge, I'm certainly not going to up-badge. So I agree with other sentiments re: adding a badge you didn't buy in this and other threads.
Definitely never up-badge😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanaswan View Post
I didn't buy this for status. I debage every car. I like people not knowing and wondering wtf was that, as all they see is rapid pull away. To each their own. Can't tell I how many morons I see putting fake M and Amg badges. Work hard and don't try so hard.

I can see that side as well. Pretty sweet leaving people wondering wtf that X5 was pulling away from you in 2 seconds. I just personally like the looks of the trunk with the x5 badges. From 4.0 up.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #29
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis1 View Post
I was on the fence but when I drove my car back from MD after taking delivery a Dodge Challenger and a Ford raptor both aggressively tried to race me. Not sure if it was the badging or the way I was driving . Sealed the deal for me.
So how'd did it go for them?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #30
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanbimmer3 View Post
Definitely never up-badge😂

I can see that side as well. Pretty sweet leaving people wondering wtf that X5 was pulling away from you in 2 seconds. I just personally like the looks of the trunk with the x5 badges. From 4.0 up.
I know exactly what you mean and definitely enjoy that WTF moment.....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #31
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanaswan View Post

+1
      04-01-2021, 02:05 PM   #32
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

I paid for the black decal in the back I'm keepin em!

wanna fly under the radar get some dark tints and call it a day!

If y'all were really about that life should swap all the cosmetics with a 40i and rock those badges instead.
      04-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #33
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Quote:

The ///MPosters are so real! Love it when a stock 40i (or any non M Bimmer) has the M colored grills.

Always perplexed me, and at the same time wildly entertaining when I drive near/across from them.

Even worse when they start trying to race. Do you guys entertain them or ignore?
      04-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #34
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAUDERRIPPER View Post
The ///MPosters are so real! Love it when a stock 40i (or any non M Bimmer) has the M colored grills.

Always perplexed me, and at the same time wildly entertaining when I drive near/across from them.

Even worse when they start trying to race. Do you guys entertain them or ignore?
"Even worse when they start trying to race. Do you guys entertain them or ignore?"

When i've got kids with me, or wife with me, or both with me = ignore

Otherwise = race

04-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #35
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Always racing up in these streets!
      04-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #36
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

I'm in the process of convincing my wife to let me de-badge her M50i (it will happen soon) as I personally think all German cars look better with nothing but the maker symbol in the middle.

I'd de-badge any M or AMG car personally. Ditto for a turbo 911.
Appreciate 0