BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-03-2021, 10:41 PM   #1
oneway
Private
Rep
Drives: S4 + Range Rover Sport

Burning / Leaking Oil?

Long story short. I was on the Range Rover forum and they were talking about the next gen RRS. There is rumor that the next 8 cylinder will be the BMW TT V8, rather than the SC V8 currently in the Dynamic and SVR. I saw multiple people chime in about the BMW TT V8 saying how bad it burned or leaked oil. I’ve done a lot of research on the X5 and never seen this discussed. Is this a common issue?

Thanks in advance.
Past: '16 BMW 340i, '16 Audi SQ5, '15 Lexus IS350, '15 Audi Q5 3.0, '14 Audi S4, '13 Infiniti FX35, '11 Infiniti G37s, '10 Audi A4, '08 Infiniti G35s, '08 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Infiniti G35c, '07 Infiniti FX35, '06 Nissan 350z, '04 Toyota 4Runner, '02 Lexus IS300, '01 Honda Prelude...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 10:50 PM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneway View Post
Long story short. I was on the Range Rover forum and they were talking about the next gen RRS. There is rumor that the next 8 cylinder will be the BMW TT V8, rather than the SC V8 currently in the Dynamic and SVR. I saw multiple people chime in about the BMW TT V8 saying how bad it burned or leaked oil. I’ve done a lot of research on the X5 and never seen this discussed. Is this a common issue?

Thanks in advance.
The older Hot Vee used to burn oil but from my findings with the 50i and my current F95 that is no longer the case. All engines burn oil some more than others.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 11:04 PM   #3
arlind94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Long story short. I was on the Range Rover forum and they were talking about the next gen RRS. There is rumor that the next 8 cylinder will be the BMW TT V8, rather than the SC V8 currently in the Dynamic and SVR. I saw multiple people chime in about the BMW TT V8 saying how bad it burned or leaked oil. I've done a lot of research on the X5 and never seen this discussed. Is this a common issue?

Thanks in advance.
My 2018 50i needed oil every two- three months. It literally drank oil. Same happened on my 2015 650
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 11:57 PM   #4
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlind94 View Post
Quote:
Long story short. I was on the Range Rover forum and they were talking about the next gen RRS. There is rumor that the next 8 cylinder will be the BMW TT V8, rather than the SC V8 currently in the Dynamic and SVR. I saw multiple people chime in about the BMW TT V8 saying how bad it burned or leaked oil. I've done a lot of research on the X5 and never seen this discussed. Is this a common issue?

Thanks in advance.
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
My 2018 50i needed oil every two- three months. It literally drank oil. Same happened on my 2015 650
My 2018 GLE63S drank/evaporated/burned a quart every couple of month. It's normal for high end super hot engines to go through some oil, that's what I was told.
Of course I can't tell if it's the case in the F95 because of the missing dipstick....hmmm I wonder why BMW removed it. Did they solve the oil gulping issue or our ability to physically see how much oil is missing??!!
Appreciate 1
calbears4248.00
      04-04-2021, 03:33 PM   #5
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HZX540e View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
My 2018 GLE63S drank/evaporated/burned a quart every couple of month. It's normal for high end super hot engines to go through some oil, that's what I was told.
Of course I can't tell if it's the case in the F95 because of the missing dipstick....hmmm I wonder why BMW removed it. Did they solve the oil gulping issue or our ability to physically see how much oil is missing??!!
Not my experience.

About 150.000 mi with BMW V8's, on a 2011 E70, a 2015 F85 and now a F95: average oil consumption about 1 qrt every 8,000 mi,
Appreciate 1
HZX540e373.50
      04-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #6
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Were you putting in liqui moly or the bmw oil lol?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 07:59 PM   #7
arlind94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN1111 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Bmw or Castrol, whatever I could get at the moment
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 09:17 PM   #8
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

My 2012 5.0 needs a quart of oil every 1000 miles, thats after replacing valve seals. My 2017 X6M needed a quart every 1500 or so. Haven't had an issue with my 2021 X6M so far.
Appreciate 1
ed41367.50
      04-05-2021, 02:17 AM   #9
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
My F86 used to burn oil like crazy. I used to add 1L of oil every 10-15 days for a few months until I took it to the dealership and forced them to look into it. As a result they found that 3 of the 8 cylinders were burning oil abnormally so after an investigation and a discussion with Germany they replaced the engine block - under warranty.
2017 F86 X6M - Donington Grey
2024 F95 X5M Comp LCI - Isle of Man Green
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #10
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
You need to use liqui moly
Appreciate 1
hdahman236.50
      04-05-2021, 01:08 PM   #11
arlind94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I'll try that! Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 01:27 PM   #12
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I'll try that! Thank you
Also their motor oil additives (liqui moly motor oil saver) are no joke. I have completely Eliminated Consumption. These cars need special care for. Something the dealers will never understand.
Appreciate 1
hdahman236.50
      04-05-2021, 06:33 PM   #13
oneway
Private
Rep
Drives: S4 + Range Rover Sport

Thanks so much guys. It sounds like this engine and burning oil is a non-issue. Everyone must be talking about the previous generation. Thanks again.
Past: '16 BMW 340i, '16 Audi SQ5, '15 Lexus IS350, '15 Audi Q5 3.0, '14 Audi S4, '13 Infiniti FX35, '11 Infiniti G37s, '10 Audi A4, '08 Infiniti G35s, '08 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Infiniti G35c, '07 Infiniti FX35, '06 Nissan 350z, '04 Toyota 4Runner, '02 Lexus IS300, '01 Honda Prelude...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #14
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I'll try that! Thank you
Also their motor oil additives (liqui moly motor oil saver) are no joke. I have completely Eliminated Consumption. These cars need special care for. Something the dealers will never understand.
Thanks for the info , how long have you used it?
Do you know which liqui molly to use for S63 engines as I went once in forums and got lost!
Also additives , some said it affects the vanos or bearings , not quite sure but those are tight areas and needs less viscous .
Appreciate 0