BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #1
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

Stranded, BMW roadside assistance is worthless

Took the car for a carwash, as they finished the car displays parking brake malfunction and I cant put it in gear. I am stuck at the wash with a bunch of cars behind me, cant move the pos, and bmw roadside assistance hangs up on me twice and puts me on hold. Finally got a case number, but it might be hours before they get a tow truck. They are basically a third party contractor, a dispatch if you will, that are contacting local towing companies to find who is available.

This is a giant clusterfuck, my day is ruined. Same once happened to my e70, ironically also after a car wash, but at least is has a manual override cable for the hand brake. I want to dump this pos back to bmw and get a Lexus. Cant deal with bmw nonsense anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #2
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

At least for every hour you are there is poor marketing for BMW and their "quality" work.
      04-13-2021, 12:28 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
Took the car for a carwash, as they finished the car displays parking brake malfunction and I cant put it in gear.
this procedure is for the F series X5

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27463374

which differs a bit from the G05 procedure in the manual, but these procedures don't address your locked parking brake, just getting in it neutral
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 12:46 PM   #4
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

roadside assistance unfortunately , is a matter of luck. One time took them 4 hours and another 30min!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I'm guessing its because you have the X6M, BMW wants it to sit around so people can get used to the way it looks and might actually buy one....

I've never had quick roadside assistance, what I typically do will be google a tow truck get them coming, call in assistance let them know I have one coming for reimbursement get case number. I've had some take 15mins and some take 2hrs just the luck and location.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #6
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, the car sat for about 2 hours and magically the error message went away. I guess water gets on the parking brake actuator module, and it shorts out until it the water dries up. The same happened to my E70 and cost me over $1000 for the new module, but at least the E70 has a manual release in the trunk.

BMW roadside assistance still did not get back to me, but luckily I was able to get the car going. Wonder if I should bother setting up an appointment with the dealer since its working fine for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 01:55 PM   #7
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 02:35 PM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Wonder if I should bother setting up an appointment with the dealer since its working fine for now.
Yes, if you are saying water shorted something to ground until it dried up, this is a defect of that part. Anything in the undercarriage should not be having this issue, think about driving in a rain storm. Note I've not had this I was mine once a week.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 02:39 PM   #9
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

wonder where this parking module located.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 04:50 PM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

So strange. Not the first time hearing about cars going nuts after a car wash. Did this particular place have "under carriage" wash? Makes me question if i should not use my newly purchased undercarriage wash attachment for my pressure washer. At least not towards the engine/trans area....

Last edited by Alan l.; 04-14-2021 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #11
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

No, just regular hand wash. Maybe it is just a weird coincidence and had nothing to do with the wash. On the e70 it was after a wash that included engine bay and under carriage.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #12
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Insane, but I still haven't heard back from BMW roadside assistance. I could have still been stuck at the car wash if the problem didn't fix itself.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 12:27 AM   #13
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Insane, but I still haven't heard back from BMW roadside assistance. I could have still been stuck at the car wash if the problem didn't fix itself.
Same thing happened to me. I called 3 times for road side assistance and every time they transferred the call it would hang up. I was pissed.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #14
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrae26 View Post
Same thing happened to me. I called 3 times for road side assistance and every time they transferred the call it would hang up. I was pissed.
Yep, and they never call back despite having your info. I'm pretty sure they hang up on purpose.
Appreciate 1
Andrae26851.00
      04-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #15
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

this is ridiculous , and they tell you always why need a spare tire if there is road side assistance, ya right!! I would escalate that.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #16
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

Quote:
Yep, and they never call back despite having your info. I'm pretty sure they hang up on purpose.
I've always felt like that on a lot of things. "Sir, I am going to transfer you to the correct line" CLICK
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #17
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENPUS View Post
I've always felt like that on a lot of things. "Sir, I am going to transfer you to the correct line" CLICK
It's not just with BMW, they all do this.

You hear a click and you know dam well soon a dial tone will follow and it does.
Never fails.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #18
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Took the car for a carwash, as they finished the car displays parking brake malfunction and I cant put it in gear. I am stuck at the wash with a bunch of cars behind me, cant move the pos, and bmw roadside assistance hangs up on me twice and puts me on hold. Finally got a case number, but it might be hours before they get a tow truck. They are basically a third party contractor, a dispatch if you will, that are contacting local towing companies to find who is available.

This is a giant clusterfuck, my day is ruined. Same once happened to my e70, ironically also after a car wash, but at least is has a manual override cable for the hand brake. I want to dump this pos back to bmw and get a Lexus. Cant deal with bmw nonsense anymore.
Sympathy on your issue. But seriously what are you going to buy from Lexus that's as enjoyable an LX or GX??
      04-26-2021, 08:51 AM   #19
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrae26 View Post
Did they clean the inside? This happened to another user after their control panel / parking brake switch got wet.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 09:30 AM   #20
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:

Sorry, to hear. Most nationwide road service options are contracted out to local companies, this should come as no surprise. Even AAA has local outfitters that they deal with. Waiting on a tow is always a matter of luck and a crap shoot, so not really fair to blame BMW for the length of time it takes for a tow - their fault for hanging up though.

Sadly this is one of the drawbacks to advancement in technology, what happened to the simple days of dials and cables, something to be said about a manual parking brake and release or easily shifting into neutral. Now cars are computers on wheels, for the better with safety features and efficiencies, but also for the worse and this is a perfect example of a failure that leaves the owner with few remedies. Ridiculous that car manufactures and government have overlooked this; sure push button start, back-up cameras, and lane-assist technologies are great, but there should be certain non-tech dependent features for emergencies - a manual parking brake, door locks, a spare tire, a method to easily shift into neutral without some complex process or dependence on energy (gas or battery). Unfortunately younger technology coddled drivers, don't realize the benefits of those simple features.
      04-26-2021, 10:40 AM   #21
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
Sorry, to hear. Most nationwide road service options are contracted out to local companies, this should come as no surprise. Even AAA has local outfitters that they deal with. Waiting on a tow is always a matter of luck and a crap shoot, so not really fair to blame BMW for the length of time it takes for a tow - their fault for hanging up though.
I understand it, but BMW should have a better quality control over their contractor. Imagine being stuck at a car wash, disrupting their business and calling BMW having to go through automated menus before getting an operator who puts you on hold and then hangs up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
Sadly this is one of the drawbacks to advancement in technology, what happened to the simple days of dials and cables, something to be said about a manual parking brake and release or easily shifting into neutral. Now cars are computers on wheels, for the better with safety features and efficiencies, but also for the worse and this is a perfect example of a failure that leaves the owner with few remedies. Ridiculous that car manufactures and government have overlooked this; sure push button start, back-up cameras, and lane-assist technologies are great, but there should be certain non-tech dependent features for emergencies - a manual parking brake, door locks, a spare tire, a method to easily shift into neutral without some complex process or dependence on energy (gas or battery). Unfortunately younger technology coddled drivers, don't realize the benefits of those simple features.
I totally agree. Back in 2012 I was hit by the superstorm Sandy, which flooded two of my cars - a 2001 GS430 and a 2010 335i coupe. They were both parked in my driveway, and there was no way to open up the trunk in the BMW since it only had an electronic release and all the electronics fried. I had to use a crowbar to break the trunk to retrieve my belongings before she got towed away. At least it still had a mechanical gear selector, so we were able to put it in neutral and push it out of the driveway. My neighbors who had cars with electronic gear selectors went through a lot of trouble getting those cars towed.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #22
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
Did they clean the inside? This happened to another user after their control panel / parking brake switch got wet.
Yes, they did clean the inside, do you by any chance have the link to the other user's post?
Appreciate 0